Street Fighter V (PS4/PC exclusive)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
    Does have a PR feel about the decision, no need for two Smash Bros games yet SF gets restricted?
    The Smash Bros thing is due to a combination of Nintendo and legacy reasons.

Back when Smash first came to Evo, it was either Melee or Brawl. The Brawl community was small (because Melee was considered the better game, which is fair enough) but Nintendo would only endorse the event if Evo pushed Brawl as the definitive game. The compromise was that they featured Melee and Brawl.

Now we're in this weird situation where we have Smash 4 and Melee, and though a sizeable chunk of the Smash community is willing to play the latest game, there's still a persistent wing that insists that Melee is the only Smash game for competitions and they won't "move on". Of course, the whole experience taught Nintendo how much their endorsement is worth, so presumably that's why Pokken is going to be there.

Presumably Capcom did something similar with SFIV/V.

Part of me wants to see the Smash community rift resolved, so they can rally under one game, like the Street Fighter community did with IV (some people are still bitter about 3s being left behind, but fortunately most people got with it).

Comment

Both the TES and the TE2+ are now up on Amazon, can't decide if I want a new one, stick with my original 360 TE plus converter. The TE2+ looks lovely but I wonder how much heavier it is then a TE. Lugging the TE around in a bag is pain in the backside.

Comment

I'm kinda interested in this mini-stick I've seen images of, if I ever see it in a shop or a good review.

Comment

For me personally i really do not get the smash bros series it just is not my thing and it puzzles me on how it got so big.

Evo have annoyed me a few times last one i remember was Blazblue had one of the most hype comebacks i have seen in years in a tournament and was in many top lists....and the following year they did not include the game :S.

It does really really bug me why Killer instinct does not get the views it really deserves it is such a great fighting game and needs far more recognition.

Oh and screw Warner Brothers for not supporting PC Mortal Kombat X

Comment

Yeah, Smash Bros is great fun generally but after all these years it feels like an odd duck of an inclusion. It is genuinely criminal that Killer Instinct gets less fanfare of the two when it's a genuinely great entry and is cared for a lot by the two dev teams who've overseen it.

One of the things I'm looking forward to most is the Tekken 7 FR footage.

Comment

I'm getting vibes with SFV that this is their 3D tribute to SFIII mixed with a good dose of the Alpha games. Where as SFIV in hindsight felt like a clear 3D rendition of Super SFII, thankfully we're moving on from that and I hope by the time the roster is up to 28-30 we have another highly-loved Street Fighter entry.

Capcom keep showing great things with SFV and I hope that continues throughout the game's life.

N.B Yes Killer Instinct does get underrepresented and is quite the skillful title (when you play a pro you're likely to get whooped. Playing someone of equal ability is great though).
              Last edited by Paddy; 28-01-2016, 08:21.

Comment

I have felt odd with SFV and i could not put my finger on exactly why.

I think some of it was due to the odd character roster, few from streetfighter 2, four from alpha, some new ones. But also coming from the massive roster from 4 it does feel like almost starting again.

Though granted with 4 there were so many characters i just did not find fun to play.

I have noticed with Killer instinct that traditional fighting game fans have a really hard job getting their head around combo breakers and stuff, and these people who watch it view it as a scrubby game but they do not get even if you are getting hit you are still playing the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  N.B Yes Killer Instinct does get underrepresented and is quite the skillful title (when you play a pro you're likely to get whooped. Playing someone of equal ability is great though).
                  I think it suffers for a few reasons. Firstly, it's western-made, which is an irrational reason to dislike it, but historically there has always been this weird divide between western-made and eastern-made fighters.

Secondly, though, I think it's because of what came before. Killer Instinct always divided the fighting game community back in the original era of the franchise. I've never played the new one, partially because I don't have an Xbone but even if I did, I'm just not that fussed about it due to disliking its predecessors.

It's similar to why I don't feel Mortal Kombat will ever be the primary game in the fighting community even if they made a game which was head-and-shoulders above the competition; there's too much snobbery about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                    I think it suffers for a few reasons. Firstly, it's western-made, which is an irrational reason to dislike it, but historically there has always been this weird divide between western-made and eastern-made fighters.

Secondly, though, I think it's because of what came before. Killer Instinct always divided the fighting game community back in the original era of the franchise. I've never played the new one, partially because I don't have an Xbone but even if I did, I'm just not that fussed about it due to disliking its predecessors.

It's similar to why I don't feel Mortal Kombat will ever be the primary game in the fighting community even if they made a game which was head-and-shoulders above the competition; there's too much snobbery about it.
                    Yeah does seem at the multi game fighting tournaments it is Streetfighter/Ultimate Marvel vs capcom 3/Smash brothers that receive top billing. Though i know Mortal Kombat X gets some real good viewing figures.

Does seem the anime fighters such as Blaz blue/Persona arena and other games like Skull girls and Yatagarasu always get the short shrift

I thought with SF4 it was developed by a team in usa

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
                      Does seem the anime fighters such as Blaz blue/Persona arena and other games like Skull girls and Yatagarasu always get the short shrift
                      I think part of the problem is that those fighters have smaller communities than people realise. I think, also, that some of them are worse spectator-sports than Street Fighter.

The thing about SFIV was that it managed to bring all of competitive fighting games under one banner for a reasonable length of time. That's previously unheard of. The community by nature has always been fragmented, but SFIV was this great leveller, which was a wonderful situation for organisations like Evo.

Even better, you don't need to be an expert at Street Fighter to get something out of watching the Evo finals. Plus, the characters and brand is so pervasive that most people have some idea who Ryu, Chun-Li etc. are, even if they only played the game back in the 90s.

I feel games like BlazBlue are like chess; they're an expert's game that requires a lot of time and effort to play proficiently - but with that comes the problem that you can only appreciate them if you're proficient at them.

I thought with SF4 it was developed by a team in usa
                      Perhaps, but that's not the origin of the franchise.

Comment

Dimps co-developed it and they're most definitely Japanese.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post

I feel games like BlazBlue are like chess; they're an expert's game that requires a lot of time and effort to play proficiently - but with that comes the problem that you can only appreciate them if you're proficient at them.

Yeah i have played it a lot and it is very hard to get good at it some of the timings required are insane.

Dimps have been involved in a lot of stuff i really wish they brought back the rumble fish fighting games

Comment

I must be in the minority as I always find SF4 to be a great spectator games, especially when played at really high level. Seeing some of the come backs was great entertainment as well as good use of the focus mechanic. As a player the Ultra could be annoying of you are one due to a careless mistake but watching it happen to someone else made for a thrilling viewing experience.
                            Last edited by wargame; 28-01-2016, 13:42.

Comment

Originally posted by wargame View Post
                              I must be in the minority as I always find SF4 to be a great spectator games, especially when played at really high level. Seeing some of the come backs was great entertainment as well as good use of the focus mechanic. As a player the Ultra could be annoying of you are one due to a careless mistake but watching it happen to someone else made for a thrilling viewing experience.
                              It can but as far as comeback mechanics are concerned they weren't sure to hit so I guess they weren't too cheap (setting up a combo into one is super satisfying).

I like the V-Trigger and V-skill mechanics in the newest one though. It seems like it utilises each character's individual strengths which is much better in my book.

Comment

The V stuff does look great but seems to lack the depth of the focus attack which could be used in so many ways. Having said that I am looking so forward to the new game even have two days booked of work on launch day.

Comment

Working...
                                X