No announcement yet.

Street Fighter V (PS4/PC exclusive)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like SFV will overtake SFII to become the franchise's best-selling series.

Street Fighter 5 crossed its fifth anniversary since the game's initial release earlier this year shortly after it also reached the 5-million sales mark and things are continuing to look good for the title.Capcom recently updated their Platinum ...

Comment

It started slow, but it's up there as the best SF game to date for me. Chef's kiss.

Comment

Glad it's done well enough to see us through to hopefully a more cohesive Street Fighter VI. That sales achievement seemed odd though so had a look and it seems like it's Street Fighter V in all its released forms sales vs just the SNES original incarnation of SF2. All SF2's are said to have collectively sold 20.8m units, all SF4's collectively 9.4m so hopefully Capcom still takes the nudge to switch back models

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
          Glad it's done well enough to see us through to hopefully a more cohesive Street Fighter VI. That sales achievement seemed odd though so had a look and it seems like it's Street Fighter V in all its released forms sales vs just the SNES original incarnation of SF2. All SF2's are said to have collectively sold 20.8m units, all SF4's collectively 9.4m so hopefully Capcom still takes the nudge to switch back models
          I would be shocked if any title ever equals SFII if you include its arcade revenue.

Comment

Only if Rockstar releases Grand Theft Fighter - of course it would mean no other arcade game is ever released again after it comes out

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
              I would be shocked if any title ever equals SFII if you include its arcade revenue.
              Including coin-ops is flawed comparison given no SFV coin-op (unless I'm mistaken) and countless unofficial bootlegged hacked versions of SFII.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                Worst case scenario, SFV will still likely be the franchise's second best-selling series. I definitely didn't foresee that given the rocky start it had so it is a considerable achievement.

Comment

Still cannot click with Sfv, was just something about the game I think what Neo said about cohesive is pretty much what i do not like, released the game in a pretty poor condition and have added onto the game.....problem is I feel many of the later characters are more fun to play as it seems like they took feedback on board for later characters.

I feel it needs what Killer instinct did and that was a major overhaul of the older characters to give them more tools as while they have added new V triggers and supers and some changes could do with much more.

I think the bitter thing for me was the original trailer for the game was much more over the top and looked more fun and the prerelease beta was also a lot of fun but they really nerfed many of the tools characters had

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post

I feel it needs what Killer instinct did and that was a major overhaul of the older characters to give them more tools as while they have added new V triggers and supers and some changes could do with much more.
                    I kind of get where you're coming from but I disagree.

Killer Instinct pretty much had to do all of that, IMO, because the intricate metagame of it is (and always has been) basic verging on poor. KI forsakes everything for combos, which looks flash but quickly becomes boring.

For everything that SFV does/did wrong, it has endured because that intricate metagame is still there in the mechanics and it still works so well. So many different ways to play which is the hallmark of SFII onwards.

Comment

I really, really like the third Killer Instinct. It's not the best fighter ever but the effort and pay off from that from the work the devs put into it remains incredibly impressive. SF5 felt like the opposite on launch, with the premature rushed launch to please the eSports crowd and that leading to the massive misjudgment of what the public would stomach which as it turns out wasn't an early access type effort. Capcom seemed to see the DLC set up of titles like KI and interpret that as an excuse to be lazy. The shock from the launch does seem to have spurred them into making a lot of effort in shaping the game up later.

Honestly, I couldn't really tell you why I still find Street Fighter V to disengaging. There's just something inherently bleh about it, I can see how well the gameplay is put together but it's like it is still missing a compelling vision behind it or strong identity. For some reason I get bored of it incredibly quickly when I put it on, much more so than any other entry.

Comment

If you can find a sparring partner, learn the fundamentals (your anti-airs, bread and butter combos (nothing too complicated), learn when to take your turn after opponent hits a heavy or whiff, spacing etc), watch some youtube videos of tactics, match-ups etc, I really think you will start to enjoy it. Sounds like a lot of work, but it's not. Just play it. Pick any character you like the look of. Ignore these Tier lists. I was solely a Birdie player, but recently moved to using R.Mika and it's a joy. As I said, especially playing a like-minded committed friend to improve yourselves. We play, one of us finds the other one out a little, then we go away and learn/lab it out in Training mode, to adapt!

Comment

[MENTION=4957]hudson[/MENTION] absolutely nails it.

Daigo Umehara is arguably the greatest SF player of all-time not because he executes dazzling combos ad infinitum but because he has absolutely mastered the fundamentals.

KI simply doesn't have SF's wide scope of mechanics IMO.

Comment

The hardest thing after all I said is knowing how to handle the other fighters. This is why the original release wasn't too bad as you didn't need to learn what 40-odd characters were capable of!

This is what you'd really need to be aware of if you go online though really.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                              I kind of get where you're coming from but I disagree.

Killer Instinct pretty much had to do all of that, IMO, because the intricate metagame of it is (and always has been) basic verging on poor. KI forsakes everything for combos, which looks flash but quickly becomes boring.

For everything that SFV does/did wrong, it has endured because that intricate metagame is still there in the mechanics and it still works so well. So many different ways to play which is the hallmark of SFII onwards.
                              Yeah Killer instinct is a Marmite game by far, I enjoy it though as the way the mechanics are you are always playing even while during combos, the best feeling is setting a trap for the opponent and making them break at the same time and then getting the counter breaker what i like is there are no bnb combos as such as the way the game works doing the same thing over and over will get you beat.

Stuck on SFV recently and it hit me....on how many characters there are now all it needs is T hawk, Deejay and Fei long to have the entire SSF2 roster

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
                                Stuck on SFV recently and it hit me....on how many characters there are now all it needs is T hawk, Deejay and Fei long to have the entire SSF2 roster
                                If you don't get your longed-for favourites this time its likely they'll show up in SF6 so don't fret too much. I'm eager to learn who the final character will be for SFV and would have a large grin if its a guest character as that will be the greatest hint of a new crossover game on the horizon (i.e CvS3) in a long time.
                                Last edited by Paddy; 07-08-2021, 15:33.

Comment

Working...
                                X