No announcement yet.

Street Fighter V (PS4/PC exclusive)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Main issue with Luke is he looks worse from a design stance than many of the previous new characters. SFV's DLC in that regard has been circling the drain for a while and even without this push it's clear Luke can't carry a game. They don't even need such a dramatic shift like they initially tried with SF3. SF5 only stumbled because of its horrendous launch. It definitely feels like if it's true that Luke is what they feel SF6 needs and is a design to do it then they should probably just not make the game and wait till a better concept comes along.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
      This seems to be a new approach by the dev. team by introducing a potential character from SF6 as the last character to be added to SF5 rather than announce the next numbered title and push Luke as the new protagonist. I know SNK was able to do it effectively with K' and Ash to a lesser extent but Kyo/Iori were always included to keep the fans happy (as Capcom will by adding Ryu and Ken, albeit perhaps older versions of themselves in SF6).

Initially I was a bit gutted the last character wasn't a guest crossover but I've adjusted to it being a new face if they are going to be pushed as an important character for the series going forwards. If the ongoing reaction is really bad Capcom can cut their losses and keep Ryu/Ken/Chun-Li and co. the main focus for SF6.
      As [MENTION=3822]fuse[/MENTION] rightly said, Capcom just don't have the bottle to do away with the original World Warriors and start anew for SFVI. They tried that with Alex for SFIII and it just didn't work.

For me, the confusing thing is why is Luke appearing now at the end of SFV when Capcom could've just played it safer and brought back one of the many other fan favourites from the Capcom Universe. I don't think it makes any sense.

Comment

Namco handled this scenario probably the best way, jumping the timeline along a couple of decades allowing for aged versions of classic characters alongside offspring/new characters alongside. Playing on both the refresh and the nostalgia at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
          Namco handled this scenario probably the best way, jumping the timeline along a couple of decades allowing for aged versions of classic characters alongside offspring/new characters alongside. Playing on both the refresh and the nostalgia at the same time.
          The difference is Namco didn't mind ageing its cast (arguably Kazuya doesn't look that old for a mid-40s guy and Nina was put in cryostasis for 20 years). I'm not sure why Anna remains young unless the same was done to her though.

Capcom should age the legacy characters though as fans don't really care that Ryu or Chun-Li look 30/25 years old respectively. They care if the characters aren't in the game. If the dev. team is worried that fans won't take to it put a legacy skin in there that lets players play the characters as they're younger selves (i.e like the SFA costumes in SFV).

Personally I think an older Ryu, Ken, Chun-Li and the rest would be pretty good (we've had a taste of bearded Ryu already). It allows the dev to age the rest of the cast who're younger so they can take over the mantle from the legacy lot whilst they can still be selectable for die-hard fans of the old characters.
          Last edited by Paddy; 10-08-2021, 17:40.

Comment

Luke showcased, seems fine but not sure he'll build excitement for VI

Comment

The FGC are well fed at the moment. By the time VI comes around we will be hungry again. After the strong finish V is having over the last year or so, I'd say hype is already bubbling away for VI.

Comment

Nice

Comment

@Paddy do you have a decent Bison I could spar against? I lack matchup knowledge and find it really difficult.

When I say decent, I mean I am not. I'm currently Silver rank.

Comment

Not sure if anyone is still playing this but this week is Capcom Cup and lady night they kicked off with a tournament, Last chance qualifier, for one additional spot. There were some great matches to watch, tonight is the Top 16.

Schedule

The full weeks schedule is listed here

CAPCOM PRO TOUR (CPT) is the premier league for competitive fighting games.Players and spectators from around the world gather to share their love for the latest insta 11 ment of the Street Fighter series and other games. An on line event open to players from all over the world, CPT showcases the best of competitive gaming.

Comment

I watched for 6 hours last night then I left my body and took myself to bed.

Comment

�� I watched from 8pm till 2am, last hour from bed until I fell asleep. It's going to be a long week but there are some excellent talent on display.

Say what tut want about V and it's come back mechanics it's sure fun as heck to watch.

Comment

I watched quite a bit last night too! Had an early morning scheduled though so stopped about midnight UK time and then caught up on a few key matches this morning. Few folks I was rooting for dropped already, it's been non-stop killers and this is just the LCQ, sheesh. Hoping some of our UK guys do the business in the main event!

Comment

Looking at the projection bracket ProblemX is expected in the Grand Final of LCQ. The4Philes also looks really strong going into this and then there is the Prodigy Ending walker so a few Brits that could go the distance.

And I have to mention Shuto, looks like he is 12 but seems to be the Godslayer, in SF League Japan he took down Diago, Tokido, Momochi and a host of others. Tonight's last 16 will be a bloodbath. I really hope they go back to tour/points system next year not a fan of so many big names not being able to qualify due to limited imposed.

Comment

Originally posted by wargame View Post
                              �� I watched from 8pm till 2am, last hour from bed until I fell asleep. It's going to be a long week but there are some excellent talent on display.

Say what tut want about V and it's come back mechanics it's sure fun as heck to watch.
                              Always said this. The later seasons have made this one of my fave SF games. Tarnished by casuals from its original release and rightfully so.

I'll be tuning in again tonight!

Comment

I tend to love whatever is the latest game in the series, my ps5 is literally is literally my Street Fighter machine.

I have really gotten back into this since the 6 beta, just hit Ultra Silver yesterday my goal of gold by 6s release maybe achievable.

Comment

Working...
                                X