No announcement yet.

Nintendo NX: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does ubisoft owns the IP or is it ancel? Iirc he has or leads a small studio for some time now. Maybe it is like bayonetta, a deal between three parties, if the rumours are indeed true.

Comment

I would love to see this happen, but it would surprise me. Ubisoft and Nintendo have, over the years, had a rocky relationship at best. I know Ubi's management was particularly disappointed with the poor sales of Red Steel 2, as they sank quite a bit into the development of it, and Nintendo helped promote it due to using Motion Plus (and it was pretty good).

I suspect Ubi would only collaborate on such a project if they stood to gain, but at little-to-no risk - so Nintendo would foot the bill.

Comment

Why bother with a machine more powerful than the PS4?

If the PS4 is currently the lead console for multi-platform games then a more powerful console won't be utilised so much, similar to the Xbox versions of games when the lead platform was PS2.

I think they should use similar hardware to either of the other two so devs targeting one of those can port their games over hassle-free.

I think they'd also do well to plan now how their next console will fit in. If NX games work with what comes next then people might not feel so short-changed if they were to release that one at the same time as MS and Sony's next consoles instead of repeating the cycle by releasing it few years after those.

In short, the NX should be used to generate good will among developers and increase consumer trust in their brand.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
          Why bother with a machine more powerful than the PS4?

If the PS4 is currently the lead console for multi-platform games then a more powerful console won't be utilised so much, similar to the Xbox versions of games when the lead platform was PS2.

I think they should use similar hardware to either of the other two so devs targeting one of those can port their games over hassle-free.

I think they'd also do well to plan now how their next console will fit in. If NX games work with what comes next then people might not feel so short-changed if they were to release that one at the same time as MS and Sony's next consoles instead of repeating the cycle by releasing it few years after those.

In short, the NX should be used to generate good will among developers and increase consumer trust in their brand.
          This has been nintendo's main problem for years. The Stubborn refusal to deliver good specs.

Instead they will simply carry on alienating imo.
          Last edited by PaTaito; 03-03-2016, 13:10.

Comment

Why not be more powerful? I'd expect it to then to enjoy a couple of years at the front, where the versions on it consistently look the best.

Comment

Simply put, more powerful would mean more expensive. If it's more expensive, buyers will want it to last or will be hesitant to jump in(more so if they jumped ship to MS or Sony this gen).

If they decide that the NX should have a typical console life cycle, they'll find themselves battling against the next gen in a few years' time like they are with the Wii-U.

They may well be able to make a console more powerful than the PS4 but at lower cost but if they don't sell at a loss then I'm not so sure.

Comment

Money is the reason and Nintendo sure to like it and seem quite averse to losing any by subsidising the launch costs of a console.

Realistically though the PS4 is plenty powerful for the next few but as randombs points out they are doing the whole midlife crisis cycle thing again which means that they will end up looking shabby (once again) when the big boys update their console.

A better strategy would be to hold off the NX until just before the next gen and then be first to market with a slew of killer app releases that they would have had a decent amount of time to create instead of just upscaling/porting Wii U titles across as this would get everyones attention instead of this Johnny Come Lately act...

Lets see.

Comment

They were first to market with WiiU after letting the Wii die a slow death. Now to be fair, they didn't launch with the slew of grade A games you mention, but who does these days?

That strategy didn't work then and I don't think it would work this time. Launching mid cycle definitely isn't optimal - but they're caught between a rock and a hard place and I think it's probably the right thing to do at this point.

If they continue with the WiiU for another 2 - 3 years, they will only become less and less relevant to the industry and consumers - particularly kids who can't remember all the past glories like us.

On top of that, I think we're set for another long generation. Last time it was 8 years. We're almost two and a half years into this one, and it feels like it only properly got going in the last 6 - 9 months. So I think there is time for Nintendo to make a dent before a more a more serious salvo as the next gen arrives.

As an aside - we're always told NX is a 'platform'. Nintendo have always liked releasing upgraded versions of the same platform as time goes on, so it may be the case that we will see more iPhone/iPad esque regular upgrades with software that is mostly cross compatible. That would change things up a bit.

Comment

On now http://www.twitch.tv/nintendo

Comment

Working...
                    X