No announcement yet.

Nintendo 3DS: Thread 03 - Discontinued Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sorry, but anybody who thinks that 3DS hardware can't properly emulate SNES games (or GBA games for that matter) will, quite frankly, believe anything that Nintendo tell them.

It's that kind of thinking that allows Nintendo to attempt to justify making such decisions. Why has it only now taken five years, two hardware revisions and the widely anticipated eve of new Nintendo hardware for SNES emulation to finally happen on the 3DS? Sorry, but for me that is not a mere coincidence or an accident.

Comment

The lack of cross-buy is scandalous but I'm goi to have to have them. Like the White Album in Men in Black, some things you have to have in any and every new format.

Also, despite the high pricing I'm a big fan of Virtual Console (especially since they acknowledged pal peeps want ntsc versions) and see it as a 'use it or lose it' feature. So I try to support it.

On the 'only on new 3ds' factor; part of me thinks why would they risk losing all those sales from older 3ds owners, unless hardware was a genuine factor. The other part of me thinks yeah, they might be trying to drive sales on 'new' systems. Who knows.

Comment

If Sony can get PSX games running on the PSP then Nintendo can get SNES games running on any version of the 3DS.

This is just a weak attempt to give more value to latest version of the system.

Comment

Simply stunning

Nintendo of Japan had an announcement during its version of today's Nintendo Direct that didn't show up during the North American broadcast: The company is releasing a Super Famicom-themed limited...

Comment

I'm surprised at the amount of RPGs coming out this year, it's kind of insane.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG EDD View Post
              That's a proper

Comment

List of Japanese New Nintendo 3DS Super Famicom games are amazing hope they come to the West https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/arti...b7ac45a6d.html

New Super Famicom/SNES New Nintendo 3DS XL does look lush

If you were watching the Japan-specific Nintendo Direct yesterday, you would have noticed a little hardware treat for classic console fans. A special edition New 3DS XL is coming to Nintendo's home turf with a Super Famicom design, complete with classic colors and nostalgic "buttons" on the outer shell. It'll launch in April for 21,600 yen (about $190) but sadly, there's no word on a wider international release. Of course, to make the jump to North America, it would need a little splash of SNES purple...
                Last edited by JU!; 05-03-2016, 20:32.

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
                  If Sony can get PSX games running on the PSP then Nintendo can get SNES games running on any version of the 3DS.

This is just a weak attempt to give more value to latest version of the system.
                  Emulation doesn't work like that. As Jaz says it's not just Nintendo running into these bottlenecks, but the emu scene as well. 3DS SNES emulation just doesn't cut it, it's barely more capable than my Xperia Play (Something which can easily handle NeoGeo and CPS-II).

SNES emulation is a tricky one. It's not as easy as you may think, partly due to a lot of the earlier titles not being optimised. It requires a lot less grunt to get 3rd Strike running perfectly as compared to SMW, to put it into perspective.

I think you need something like a 2.8ghz cpu to run everything perfectly. I still get frameskips on SMW with a 2.4ghz i7.
                  Last edited by dataDave; 05-03-2016, 13:06.

Comment

Originally posted by JU! View Post
                    List of Japanese New Nintendo 3DS Super Famicom games are amazing hope they come to the West https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/arti...b7ac45a6d.html

New Super Famicom/SNES New Nontendo 3DS XL does look lush

http://www.engadget.com/2016/03/04/s...-nintendo-3ds/
                    Loving the discount on the first few, got myself Mother 2, Famicom Wars, and the two NES Fire Emblems last night. Will more than likely get all SNES Fire Emblem they release as well (they don't have Thracia 779 on that list yet).

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                      Emulation doesn't work like that. As Jaz says it's not just Nintendo running into these bottlenecks, but the emu scene as well. 3DS SNES emulation just doesn't cut it, it's barely more capable than my Xperia Play (Something which can easily handle NeoGeo and CPS-II).

SNES emulation is a tricky one. It's not as easy as you may think, partly due to a lot of the earlier titles not being optimised. It requires a lot less grunt to get 3rd Strike running perfectly as compared to SMW, to put it into perspective.

I think you need something like a 2.8ghz cpu to run everything perfectly. I still get frameskips on SMW with a 2.4ghz i7.
                      I'm not convinced tbh. Nintendo know both of those systems inside out, they're far better equipped to get emulation running than a bunch of homebrew guys.

Comment

Its just an easy way of getting more money out of its fans and also a way to get a few more people to go for the 'New' 3DS, even if they alredy own/have a 3DS . Anyone with any sense should and could see it, for exactly for what it is .

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
                          I'm not convinced tbh. Nintendo know both of those systems inside out, they're far better equipped to get emulation running than a bunch of homebrew guys.
                          QFT.

Way too many people are happy to go along with this "Nintendo didn't have any other option" bollocks.

That is precisely the kind of thinking that allows Nintendo to justify pulling this kind of crap.
                          Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 05-03-2016, 17:04.

Comment

If you don't like the prices then don't buy them , simple really

Comment

I just can't see that many people splashing out to upgrade their 3DS to the New model, just to play some SNES games. I would have thought that offering these games to all 3DS owners would have led to more revenue overall than the route they have chosen.

Anyway, the lack of cross buy is the most disappointing aspect for me. With the recent launch of the Nintendo Account I felt that this would have been one of the first benefits that it would bring.

Comment

Originally posted by Junko View Post
                                If you don't like the prices then don't buy them , simple really
                                Point missed.

No, the prices aren't great but I'm more p1ssed at the fact that Nintendo have deliberately stopped the older 3DS models from accessing these SNES games - and I say that as the owner of a New 3DS XL.

Believe it or not mate, not everything that Nintendo does is amazing.
                                Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 05-03-2016, 18:21.

Comment

Working...
                                X