No announcement yet.

Has your gaming taste changed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to get lost in platform games, be them amazing or poor, and honestly spent days on every game I bought. Nowadays, I hate platformers - Ape Escape was my favourite game ever, but I just can't get into Ape Escape 2. It's a great game, I just can't be bothered to play it.

I think that's what's happening to my tastes in gaming - I can't be bothered to play. I want either a good game which I can pick up instantly and play, or a game where there isn't much in the way of penalties. Above all in games, I absolutely loathe dying, or the tension of a high-class Gran Turismo race. Sure, it means I really need skill, but there are other ways of testing that.

Now, I prefer quick-fix action games, which are made more for fun than for m4d sk1llz. Burnout 2 is probably my favourite game now, because I can pick it up, have loads of fun then put it down again. Final Fantasy games are good because, basically, you only die on bosses and there are savepoints directly before them anyway. I hate repeating things in games, and I hate difficulty levels. And I used to really dig that stuff.

I'm not saying I don't like hard games - give me a taxing game any day; but difficulty doesn't have to come in boring-as-hell ways. Supreme enemy AI in say, shooting games, really pisses me off, but supreme difficulty in a puzzle game is just a challenge to get past. It seems strange, I know.

Basically, I've changed from liking simple, colourful games where challenge came in button-bashing, to deeper games where challenges challenge the mind, not the degree of accuracy with which you can use the joypad. Oh, and I love arcade games . Warzaid is the latest game I've stumbled upon at Megabowl in Southampton, and with 4 players it's proper class.

Comment

Originally posted by ?pint
      Warzaid is the latest game I've stumbled upon at Megabowl in Southampton, and with 4 players it's proper class.
      You've found a Warzard?

I need to get to Sothampton NOW

Comment

Sorry, this was a test post. It keeps saying invalid_session! Mods, please delete this if you can.

Comment

During my amiga days, i used to adore the 'point and click' adventure genre, with:

The Secret of Monkey Island,
          Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis,
          Lure of the Temptress,
          Operation Stealth,

Being a few of my faves at the time. Now i dont seem to care for them. Maybe because of the decline of that type of game, or any new ones that have gripped me.
          Also the Final Fantasy epics during the early/mid PSone days used to grip me and keep me hanging to the end. Now i just dont care for them.
          Fighters always were a good game for me, as i used to play SF II Turbo constantly. Although i have cut back on the amount of fighters i play, i do like to have a flutter from time to time.

In short, game genres i used to adore:
          Point and click adventures
          FF RPG's
          Fighters

Games that interest me now:
          Arcade type games
          Football games (Like them even more)
          Fighters (not as much as i used to like them)
          Games that are slightly different e.g. Gitaroo Man

Short intense games like Winning Eleven series, Virtua Tennis and so on.
          Games that are long and drag on a bit, i tend to get bored halfway through and can't be bothered with completing it.

Comment

I grew up playing mainly shoot 'em ups and platformers as a kid, but have found myself more drawn to longer, story-driven games now I'm a lot older.

However, the responsibilites of adulthood leave me with less time to get into 'epic' sprawlers. As such, I find myself being drawn to rhythm action and other more immediate genres once again. Full circle almost.

I also use my GBA the most at the moment as I'm hardly ever at home and its great for playing on the move.

On epics, the wilful stagnation that the RPG genre wallows in saddens me. I used to really love RPGs but they're too cookie cutter now. If you've played one, it really does feel like you've played them all.

Comment

Originally posted by ?pint
              I hate repeating things in games, and I hate difficulty levels. And I used to really dig that stuff.
              I personally think games should have one difficulty level that's dynamic (ie gets harder or easier depending on the player's skills). One thing that annoys me is having to replay a game on different difficulty settings to unlock more and more superflous tat.

Just have the one setting and keep unlocking to a minimum.

Comment

Working...
              X