Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

End of Konami on consoles?

japanese link here http://jin115.com/archives/52080348.html but translation

We will pursue mobile games aggressively," says Konami's new CEO Hayakawa in an interview with Nikkei Trendy Net.

"Our main platform will be mobiles. Following the pay-as-you-play model of games like Power pro and Winning Eleven with additional content, our games must move from selling things like "items" to selling things like "features."

"We saw with these games that even people who buy physical games are motivated to buy extra content. The success of Power pro especially has motivated us to actively push more of our popular series onto mobile than ever before."

"Gaming has spread to a number of platforms, but at the end of the day, the platform that is always closest to us, is mobile. Mobile is where the future of gaming lies."

"We hope that our overseas games such as MGSV and Winning Eleven continue to do well, but we are always thinking about how to push our franchises onto mobile there too."

"With multiplatform games, there's really no point in dividing the market into categories anymore. Mobiles will take on the new role of linking the general public to the gaming world."
    Last edited by eastyy; 14-05-2015, 17:18.

You won't be missed by me.
    Last edited by importaku; 15-05-2015, 11:18.

Comment

I hope they leave MGS alone after V.

Comment

I just had a vision of playing winning eleven on a touch screen.

The words "kill it with fire!" immediately sprung to mind.

Comment

It pretty much seems that way even if it isn't entirely by design as they'll have relegated themselves irrelevant by default. As it stands MGS5 will be their swan song and it's a shame they're likely to take the franchise down with them. Stepping away isn't really an issue, but they've made such an embarrassing hash of it. With Konami and Sega etc taking this mobile drive and Nintendo's belated eye roaming that way I can only assume there's some epic win stories lately in Japan in that market causing all this confidence, cause it feels like the whimper before death for Konami and Sega in terms of games making.

Comment

I imagine PES will survive for some time. The template and engine for the current gen at least is set.

Comment

Japanese dev in "mostly ignoring the rest of the world shocker". To think that projects like Silent Hills have been hung out to dry in favour of this mobile nonsense instead.

Comment

This sounds like the logic of a mad person.

Some mobile games make quality money but it's short lived.

How come Japan is soooo far behind in terms of online anyway? it's odd really considering they're about 10 years ahead in terms of download speed.

Comment

I think this is sad. Gaming is changing. It has always changed and we lose players and that's the way it works but I don't like how it is currently going at all.

Comment

Agree with Dogg Thang. Plus, new CEO of Konami comes over like an ignorant, short-termist buffoon. No wonder (if?) Kojima fell out with him.

Comment

SEGA will be next

Comment

^ as long as they do the western release Yakuza 5 first (which has gone unsettlingly quiet)...after that they can go jump off a cliff.

Comment

Goodbye Konami, you'll be missed. Or better, the talented indviduals that made your series great will be, though everyone already left for smaller companies to pursue what made Konami's great in the gaming world.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                            SEGA will be next
                            Can you say that with a straight face?

Comment

I'm just surprised this didn't happen sooner. They sound like an absolute nightmare company for a game dev to work for, to the point of not even announcing an release.

I'm hoping Sony pick kojima up and set him up in a nice cushy studio and leave him be to make quality games, Ms would waste him on some nonsense project no doubt.

Comment

Working...
                              X