PTE98: A Pirates Life for Me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PTE98: A Pirates Life for Me?

Eurogamer has a piece on their site today which talks about the world of emulation and the role it plays amongst gamers. It's a piece that talks about the Internet Arcade and the readiness that old games are available, sometimes whilst the companies the games belong to are still in existence. Its case seems to be that whilst the pursuit to archive and save as many old titles as possible is to be applauded, the wider impact is that it means gamers see older titles as fair game to get hold of for free and that the industry as a whole is damaged as developers and publishers lose out financially in a way that people wouldn't consider to be as acceptable with music or film.

Of course it's an increasingly complicated matter. Long gone is the day of school kids swapping PS1 game copies in the playground or using Dreamcast cheat discs to run CD-R burnt latest releases. We're very close to having a generation where piracy becomes muddied by a lack of emulated hardware such as with the PS3 and 360 as well as a world where even if fully functional emulators existed, a wealth of patches and updates and DLC could be lost to the digital ether. Piracy isn't the free candy shop it once was and this almost fuels supporters arguments that what can be saved by emulation should be saved.

The other point in emulations argument is often that whilst, as per EG's article points out, gaming is skewed to increasingly be considered in line with movies and music it isn't actually the same when the real brass tacks of how it works as an industry come into play. If you want to watch a popular film from the 1950's you can probably go online or in store and at least be likely to be able to buy a DVD of it which then pockets the distributor a bit of money. Same with music where decades of material is readily available. Gaming doesn't work the same way, in some cases it can be hard to get a new copy of a title a mere year after release with only a handful of long term sellers staying on shelves or receiving remastered releases.

The further back you go, the harder it gets. Titles get increasingly hard to source new and even if you do find a copy none of the money goes to the publisher or developer anyway... assuming that both or either still exist. The copyright laws for many titles are a mess and so even the most well intentioned retro gamer would often struggle to get hold of titles outside of the second hand market, a market many companies have displayed their dislike of as it is.

It's here where we come back to the anti-emulation and piracy stance as the line taken can be that on the whole using copied games breeds a culture in gamers, one that carries over to newer titles with an expectation to get more for less. It's here where the damage is done to an industry where it's hard to keep your head above water as it is.

In short, it's an age old question, but in light of newer machines where emulation and piracy is increasingly less of an option for most and most older titles continue to remain unavailable through official means...

Is emulation and piracy an acceptable method of gaming or is it still one of the industries largest threats?
    Yes - It's fine in all forms, it does no major harm
    0%
    Yes - Only where official means aren't available
    0%
    Not sure
    0%
    No - It's mostly bad except in one or two examples
    0%
    No - It's unacceptable in any form
    0%

Originally posted by Superman Falls
    Is emulation and piracy an acceptable method of gaming or is it still one of the industries largest threats?
    Honestly? I don't think either of these are as much as of a threat as they used to be. When I was younger I would pirate lots of stuff, though the majority of it was import stuff that would be hard to get my hands on like doujin games. With the ease of purchase that Steam offers, combined with the frankly ridiculous prices at times I find it hard NOT to purchase games legitimately. Humble Bundles have exponentially bloated my Steam account with quality titles from the past, that I may or may not ever play, but at least some good came of me buying them.

Regarding emulation, I don't see that as any more of an issue than someone like myself buying used video games. When I decide to purchase a real cart or disc from someone instead of purchasing a digital release on PSN or the eShop that is a missed sale for those providers. Again, there's literally no difference and in the scenario I've provided there isn't even any grey area, you're simply purchasing a legacy item.

Piracy, I don't think piracy is as much an issue now as it was in the past. Like, enjoy running pirated software on your modern video game console. Oh wait.

Comment

It's a real rock and a hard place in terms older titles, especially going back to early gen titles. Purely from an emulation side of things we're technically in a position whereby companies stances are that their older games aren't available, won't be available and they would prefer them to be lost to time than people emulate them. Very much a 'if we don't profit, you don't play' approach.

Many of them really should be saved, for anyone young getting into the hobby it's weird to think they're encouraged not experience how the industry and genres were formed. I've no issue buying a remaster or collection release but despite how many it seems come out, they're a tiny droplet of what has been lost and will be.

Piracy in its current form though... doesn't have much a place in traditional gaming. The PC really is the biggest culprit these days and Steam really does cut out the point and it doesn't feel like it's going to rear its head in a major way again like it once was. With emulating old machines and games being the main focus (given the lack of ability to do the same with newer machines) it's hard to see how it's damaging to the industry in a major way. Big games still sell big, old games remain off the table.

Budgets, recession and F2P/mobile prices probably did more damage.

Comment

That's a strange stance on older software that they no longer wish to support.

One thing, it probably isn't all that relevant now but I recall a time when the major ROM sites, many still active now, would have notices under certain Nintendo ROMs saying they had received direct complaints from Nintendo and would no longer host them. Do you think that would have been a sign of Nintendo attempting piracy in the past and not having much success with it?

Comment

Nintendo used to be massively aggressive over roms and emulators, ironic considering they're probably still the most hacked hardware out the three. From the mass of Snes/N64 etc stuff out there they seem to have backed off. Beyond the updates they used to do to blog out hacked firmware on Wii they haven't been so heavy handed of late. Probably bigger concerns.

I think the low sales of retro games on PSN/Virtual Console/XBL and low useage of backwards compatibility has led to them easing off also, maybe making them realise they're wasting money trying to protect a golden goose that doesn't lay eggs. HD remasters seem to have fixed the cash cow issue for them, focusing on select key titles rather than worrying if someone is trying to play Mickey Mania.

Comment

Piracy is dead now isn't it? It has been since the dawn of XB360, PS3 and Steam for me.

Comment

I pirated Dark Souls II to see if my laptop could handle it. Following a few hours of testing a locked 60fps meant I purchased it the day after.

I also pirated Skyrim because I felt totally ripped off over the time and money I'd invested/thrown down on the 360 version. In a fit of rage I swore to never give Bethesda another penny of my money again, and so that remains to this day, despite Skyrim going for a few $ in the sales not too long ago.

I'd rather donate $80 to the community teams that fix the bugs, supply unofficial patches, and create the mind-blowing mods that redefine the entire experience.

Comment

I pirated DA:O because the copy I paid for didn't work properly.

Comment

Working...
                X