Shenmue 3 PS4 & PC SERIOUSLY HAPPENING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Deuteros View Post
    I wonder if Shozuki is a Shenmue fan and stumped the $10000 for Ryo's jacket... We know for a fact he has Leon's jacket, so...
    I made that connection too! lol

Friendly Import video game discussion forum, informative reviews, NTSC (Japan / US) and PAL - BordersDown (previously known as NTSC-uk)

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
      The internet has spoken, then.

Shozuki, we demand some photos!

Comment

Originally posted by Wools View Post
        They did on Fable the Journey and they were pretty bang on the money.

Like I said, there's always exceptions to the rule but from what I've seen when I worked under Microsoft, the predictions were very accurate. No idea what it's like at other Videogame Publishers though.
        Really is that why the likes of Blue Dragon, Brute Force, Lost Oddesy, PGR 4, Blinx, Quantum Redshift, Kameo, Sudeki (which was meant to show Japan how RPG are made and to be a triolgy) Ninety Nine Nights , Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Viva Pinata and a host of other MS IP all failed to sell in the numbers MS hoped .

Who's the tool that thought Kinect would be great for the XBox One and to have Rare make Kinect Sports II ?. MS have had plenty of flops too .
        Last edited by Team Andromeda; 18-06-2015, 21:54.

Comment

Yes, really.

I'll say it again, there's always outliers to every piece of data, always one that disappoints or exceeds expectations but big corporates have teams of people dedicated to evaluating every piece of data that ties to a game or projects success. Sometimes, the results from these data pulls are not good but they decide to push on as it could be a surprise success or the drawbacks of cancelling a project are worse then not getting a sellable product out the door.

So your example of Kinect on Xbox One? The original Kinect was a massive success for Microsoft, selling over 10 million units. Why would you not make a sequel to that hardware? History saw that one out, just like other games you mention. So when you say every game aside from COD & GTA is a huge risk, that's not correct, their are determinable trends, readable pieces of data and market forces that show a developer or publisher that there's an appetite out there for the product. Kickstarter is now a good barometer to gauge that early interest, although we'll see whether that interest makes it into a bigger sales hit than the first few games.

Still something to consider though, the original Shenmue sold way over a million copies on a console which was failing to gain traction around the world, with a limited user base. Now it'll be on at least 2 successful platforms, it could cast an even wider net.
          Last edited by Wools; 18-06-2015, 13:49.

Comment

So your example of Kinect on Xbox One? The original Kinect was a massive success for Microsoft, selling over 10 million units. Why would you not make a sequel to that hardware
            When you wake up to the fact that games sales were rubbish ? . How well did Fable and Star Wars Kinect sell again?

So when you say every game aside from COD & GTA is a huge risk, that's not correct, their are determinable trends, readable pieces of data and market forces that show a developer or publisher that there's an appetite out there for the product.
            So when MS were spending millions on the likes of Brute Force, Blue Dragoon, Kameo, Sudeki , Nighty Nine Nights and hundred of millions on RARE they weren't risks? ...

Remind me again how well Kameo and Viva sold for starters ...
            Last edited by Team Andromeda; 18-06-2015, 21:55.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
              Someone paid $10k for the original Ryo jacket. Crazy!
              You'll probably see a Sony exec wearing it at E3 next year

Comment

So, Sony used Shenmue III in their E3 speech, but it's being Kickstarted.

Does this mean only people who have pledged towards the game will get it, or will it go on general release afterwards?

Comment

General release I would imagine.

Bad vibes from this. How unhealthy is the industry, or gullible are we the consumer, if a first party game can only be released by crowd sourcing?

This and early access are getting abused now. As others have said crowd sourcing is a great way to bring risky, new or unfundable games (via the traditional publisher route) to market.

Comment

Yeah, I agree.

Kickstarter used to be about the little guy saying "I want to do this, but I can't do it without your help".

Now it's being used by the big boys to say "We don't want to take the commercial risk".

If Sony were confident enough to brag about it in their conference, they should've just stumped up the cash to get it made.

Comment

Ordinarily I'd agree but I honestly don't believe this would have happened any other way. They didn't have the confidence. This is a way of gauging interest while offsetting the risk with people who will pay more than retail prices - something that can't happen at retail. Niche interest with bigger spenders can help fund something that might have bombed at retail.

Comment

Originally posted by Mgear View Post
                        Bad vibes from this. How unhealthy is the industry, or gullible are we the consumer, if a first party game can only be released by crowd sourcing?
                        Isn't that the point, this is not a First Party game? Adam Boyes from Sony said the very same on GiantBomb this week.

Comment

Fair challenge, although I understood it has some Sony funding involved. Either way whether it's first or second party doesn't really address what I believe are valid points, or concerns with this.

Comment

To be honest I don't mind with this. I appreciate Sony trying to give fans something traditional to look forward too, especially with the kind of game that we don't get in abundance but there's also plenty enough history to the franchise to understand why they wouldn't want to blindly fund it given the risk the internet chatter might not translate to sales. KS gives them a tangible gauge of interest level even if the amount raised is ultimately only X% of the games funding.

My concern probably lies more with what it means onwards as Shenmue is one of only a handful of games in its position so they'd have to tread lightly about throwing KS campaigns at us every E3 for any dormant franchise. E.g this wouldn't work at all for Half Life 3

Comment

There was a reddit AMA with Yu Suzuki yesterday and, if I picked it up correctly, in that he seems pretty determined that the story will not conclude in 3 and would need a 4th which seems like lunacy to me. This is a one-off opportunity to finally conclude it.

Comment

Which is exactly the reason he is an idiot.

Comment

Working...
                                X