No announcement yet.

Shenmue 3 PS4 & PC SERIOUSLY HAPPENING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm quite concerned about the Shenmue 4 talk. As others have said, the Shenmue story isn't particularly deep, you just spend an inordinate amount of time pottering about and enjoying* yourself with mundane stuff like rotating cans of fish so it feels like it.

I can't speak for others but I for one am backing it to see the story finished once and for all, not to reestablish the franchise or anything like that. I love Shenmue and I actually got a bit teary watching the reveal with the GT guys screaming but I don't necessarily want to play tons of it to find out the story. Quite a few comments on kick starter are from backers also wanting to finish the story, not simply carry it on until they run out of ideas. I'm confident the story can be finished nicely with this third game and there's every possibility that history will repeat itself: he'll lose money on this and lose the faith of his fans who may be wary to fund further Shenmue games. Imagine how awful it would be if those people who paid $10,000 to have dinner with him or the jacket or whatever basically funded nothing more than one more chunk of the story.

He seems like a man who made a pair of expensive mistakes and hasn't learned his lesson and I really hope we don't have another Godus fiasco on our hands.

* enjoyment not guaranteed

Comment

He seems like a man who made a pair of expensive mistakes and hasn't learned his lesson and I really hope we don't have another Godus fiasco on our hands
      The 1st game sold over a million copies it really didn't too bad at all. It was Shenmue II that really flopped . Most prob the biggest mistake was to make the series on the DC and not for the PS II

Quite a few comments on kick starter are from backers also wanting to finish the story, not simply carry it on until they run out of ideas

Doubt that would happen as the scale of the game was there pretty much from the start . If its just the story and ending all the so called fans can see that in a script - To me its Shenmue world and chacaters that was special and I reather Shenmue III and IV to continue and finish the game myself

Comment

Thanks. I keep forgetting the first did well.

All I'm saying is he's been given a chance to do this 14 years later. If crowd funding wasn't a thing we wouldn't even have this thread.

I'll just have to wait. One good thing to come out of the AMA was his dislike of the demo Ryo's face. Oh, and that Ryo will ride a horse. And that they have access to the Shenmue 1 and 2 assets. Ok, three things

Maybe it'll do well and we'll get a forth game quickly enough if it turns out to be the case.

Comment

Unless Shenmue 3 is directly popular enough to warrant another entry we'll never get an ending assuming this game doesn't try to give us one. This KS route will only work once and it'd be stubborn to not factor the reasons why fans championed for it into the design.

Comment

Comment

Personally I am glad that Suzuki confirmed in the reddit chat he will not be dumbing down the remaining chapters of the story so that it concludes with III. Shenmue is all about the journey not the destination. As long as III is a great game that's all that matters.

The reddit chat put my mind at ease, it's clear Yu still understands what makes Shenmue different to other open world type games, namely the detailed interaction with npcs and the world around you, a mixture of gameplay styles, the storytelling and the exploration of Eastern cultures. Fingers crossed he can get some of his old coin ops licensed from Sega, Powerdrift would be awesome.

I really hope the kickstarter gets to the 10 mil mark so he can make 'a truly open world' or at least 5 at the minimum so he 'can do something he has wanted to do for a long time in games'. I think there will be a boast at the end of the month when most people get paid, this has been the reason I have not donated yet. I wonder how Sony is deciding how much to fund...
              Last edited by DANGEROUS-3; 21-06-2015, 13:34.

Comment

Sony will chip in $500,000 as that is their limit for co-funding indie titles.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                  Sony will chip in $500,000 as that is their limit for co-funding indie titles.
                  You can't be serious, surely they are going to be the main backers.

Comment

Originally posted by DANGEROUS-3 View Post
                    You can't be serious, surely they are going to be the main backers.
                    What are you smoking?

NOBODY in the industry wanted to touch Shenmue 3 with a barge pole, especially given that the first two games effectively killed Sega as a hardware developer given the money pumped into them.

Crowdfunding was the only way this was ever gonna happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                      What are you smoking?

NOBODY in the industry wanted to touch Shenmue 3 with a barge pole, especially given that the first two games effectively killed Sega as a hardware developer given the money pumped into them.

Crowdfunding was the only way this was ever gonna happen.
                      Haha trust me matey it'll be more than 500grand. 😉

Comment

The Kickstarter was to test the waters. 2 million dollars funded within 24 hours.

It'll be more than a 500k investment from Sony for sure.

Frankly hilarious to think otherwise to be honest, when you consider what Shenmue 1 and 2 did cost. What're you smoking Nu-Eclipse?

And are people really classing Shenmue as indie? WHAT?!

Comment

At the time of this post less than 44,000 people have back Shenmue III. Consider just how much hype this game has received and think surely if millions wanted to buy it and that is the cheapest way to get it where all all the other investors?

Comment

I'm intrigued by dangerous-3's payday theory, especially as donations seem to be slowing somewhat.

Comment

I am definitely buying but don't do kickstarter as it's a massive con. The game will be cheaper or same price on release plus there will probably be a disc based PS4 game announced later.

The PC version key will be cheaper on release, and definitely a week later. If you don't want exclusive kickstarter tat there's no point, really.

But I am glad other people feel differently.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                                I'm intrigued by dangerous-3's payday theory, especially as donations seem to be slowing somewhat.
                                The theory is fuelled by the AM2 logo.

Comment

Working...
                                X