Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by randombs View Post
    (I expect QTEs will also be 4:3!)
    I suspect they'll be 16:9? They're not videos.

Comment

The cutscenes aren’t videos either. I think they’ve kept them 4:3 so they don’t have to mess with the camerawork.

But yeah, maybe they’ll be 16:9, too.

Comment

The sailors better be in HD, or I'm gonna get Tom to spit in their hotdogs.

Comment

Imagine if they did a Gran Turismo and had a mixture of redone models rubbing shoulders with the DC-era originals.

Mmmm, rubbing soldiers shoulders.

Wow, I made a tongue-twister!

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
            The new textures are probably to replace things they couldn't get the rights to
            I bet you are 100% right there. So it's going to be like the western version with the crappy cola machines and so on.

Comment

Jet Cola was always the superior cola.

Comment

I was reading an interview with Toshihiro Nagoshi last night about the making of Yakuza and he stated the importance of securing real brands when the setting of a game is in a realistic environment. Even the first game managed to secure Suntory Whiskey and Don Quijote Stores, which is amazing given the untested nature of the game and its themes. I suppose the huge budget helped. Amazing a risky venture like this got such a massive budget. So great it paid off too.

The best part of the piece was how, for research purposes, Nagoshi and a fellow producer spent a fair bit of time in the red light area of Kabukicho in order to give the game as much authenticity as possible

Comment

FAQ

Looks like the game will run at 30fps and will support widescreen wherever you can control the camera. Cutscenes will be 4:3. All arcade games are in and working. S2 is a port of the Xbox version, which added some graphical differences and the snapshot mode. English and Japanese voice options for both games

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
                    Looks like the game will run at 30fps
                    Shame, though I can only assume this is an insurmountable technical constraint, like the PS3 version of Shadow of the Colossus.

Comment

There's a statement on the developer's website saying why it's 30fps. A lot of the scripts/systems were originally written assuming 30fps so it would result in lots of weird timing issues I guess.

Comment

Problem is, the game has been able to run at 60fps through Dreamcast emulators and I don't think it resulted in any issues? 30fps hurts, what a shame.

Comment

Originally posted by tokyochojin View Post
                          There's a statement on the developer's website saying why it's 30fps. A lot of the scripts/systems were originally written assuming 30fps so it would result in lots of weird timing issues I guess.
                          Yeah, that's why I mentioned Shadow of the Colossus. They had to do the remake to get it to run at 60, because the original game had features which simply didn't work at 60 (the animations were all a static 30, and looked really janky for one).

Originally posted by Adam View Post
                          Problem is, the game has been able to run at 60fps through Dreamcast emulators and I don't think it resulted in any issues? 30fps hurts, what a shame.
                          Perhaps... But there's working and working if you catch my drift. Loads of games "work" in emulators but may have all sorts of small problems which might not be evident for the 20 minutes people probably play those games for.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                            The best part of the piece was how, for research purposes, Nagoshi and a fellow producer spent a fair bit of time in the red light area of Kabukicho in order to give the game as much authenticity as possible
                            Which meant they got smashed and had their balls licked every night, with Sega paying for it under company expenses.

Securing real world licenses helps with the immersion, but proves to be an absolute nightmare in the long-term if those licenses expire and need to be renewed.

On topic I cannot wait to dive back into Shenmue, will probably wait around Christmas time. But its kind of crazy that Sega is releasing this and Yakuza Kiwami 2 so close together.

Comment

I have never needed real life brands if the ones they have are cool. For example, I have a Shenmue Tomato shirt and it’s one of my favourites. But had they put Tesco in there, I wouldn’t be walking around with a Tesco shirt on. Similarly, I genuinely prefer Jet Cola in there because it becomes part of the Shenmue world. More so than a real brand. See also Ridge Racer.

Comment

I guess it’s like ‘nuka-cola’ being more fun to wear than standard soft drink brands you can get in your local off license...

But I understand with real life brands bringing the world closer to home - the inclusion of ‘Boss coffee’ sticky no out for me in yakuza.

Last edited by 112; 07-07-2018, 10:26.

Comment

Working...
                                X