No announcement yet.

Shenmue 3 PS4 & PC SERIOUSLY HAPPENING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the Kickstarter was done to gauge public interest, to see how much was lip service and how many were ready to put their money where their fanboy mouth is.

Personally I'd be happy if they just used the old assets and gave them a resolution refresh rather than going to the expense of recreating models and whatnot. It would look consistent across the game and most people who will play this don't really care about graphical effects as they are more focused on the tale.

Comment

Originally posted by S3M View Post
      I'm with Golgo, fuse and Brad on this one, this is little more than a Sony kickstarter in disguise not to be open about it up front is very back handed. Yu Suzuki also badly managed the money on Shenmue 1 & 2 and ended up being let go by Sega, so do I trust the man no and project wise this is going to need at least 20 - 30 million unless the game is only a few hours long.

Fans maybe in for a very long wait before it appears.
      Regards Sony funded I don't really mind really as long as it gets made seems this is the way nowadays with SFV for example too. If it means the likes of Kojima making a new Z.O.E for example with Kick Starter money and mystery Sony backer I'm all in, do agree is a bit shady though. Can't remember who it was in a podcast I listened to but apparently it cost infinitely more to make a game than the Kick Starter cash, staff gobbling up most of the money by having to be paid to do stuff.

I do understand Yu Suzuki spent to much money on Shenmue and Shenmue II and Sega let him have it. What I don't understand as all his previous games as far as I'm aware did not have troubled development or anything even the big titles like VF or OutRun. So what I don't understand is how Shenmue got so out of control?
      Last edited by JU!; 16-06-2015, 21:17.

Comment

Originally posted by JU! View Post
        I do understand Yu Suzuki spent to much money on Shenmue and Shenmue II and Sega let him have it. What I don't understand as all his previous games as far as I'm aware did not have troubled development or anything even the big titles like VF or OutRun. So what I don't understand is how Shenmue got so out of control?
        There's a HG101 interview with one of the translators who hints at some of issues with the game. It comes across that Yu Suzuki was on a major ego trip at the time.

Comment

I can't believe this is actually, finally happening. I pledged for the digital copy.

Comment

According to info on GAF, Sony has confirmed that they are providing development support for Shenmue 3 and will also be contributing funding. It's a questionable approach to commissioning a game but by the sounds it genuinely is the case that Sony set a funding budget for the game that they would only permit release of if the Kickstarter met its target in order to prove consumer demand exists.

With the target met the game likely doesn't need the extra ? which would explain the very weak stretch goals.

Comment

I just can't see Sony putting too much into this. Shenmue is the very essence of a pre sold game. The people that want it are likely to pay up front and back the Kickstarter.
              If Sony say double the Kickstarter they could make a loss because the fans have already paid for a copy.

Comment

Let's hope the fact he had to Kickstart it will calm his ego this time around if he hasn't calmed down already.

Fingers crossed he doesn't Molyneux his way through this but I'm hoping Sony will rein him in if necessary.

"...there is always the possibility that problems may arise which could affect reward delivery. There may end up being changes in game or reward designs. We may press right when we are supposed to press left and get hilariously head butted and kneed in the groin.We may press right when we are supposed to press left and get hilariously head butted and kneed in the groin."

Comment

Just shy of 24 hours into the campaign and now:

Up to $2.77m

Comment

If he can raise $20 million that will be excellent and it looks like a very real possibility.

Comment

I'm still not convinced it's going to do mega money, decent yes. The vast majority of fans would have rushed in to back it already.

Comment

Yep. I don't see it getting anywhere near $20 million. If it makes $5m, I'll be surprised. That's still a lot of money though so I'm hoping they have this well planned and know how they are going to pull it off with (relatively) fewer resources.

Comment

I suppose its not even about cash at this point, it's about Sony keeping its "4the gamers" reputation. Whatever money spent on this is probably less than marketing.

Comment

$5m will be decent indeed but still small money. Sony aren't then going to plow $20m more into it to sell it to no one else. Sony and Suzuki have to be very careful here.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                              $5m will be decent indeed but still small money. Sony aren't then going to plow $20m more into it to sell it to no one else. Sony and Suzuki have to be very careful here.
                              20 million ? , To me Shenmue III needs around $50 odd million and 100 to 200 man team if it going to live up to the Shenmue series . Fear it could be another Duke Forever letdown - Where the final game is done and shipped on the cheap. The Shenmue series or Yu Suzuki don't deserve that.

Comment

Why does Yu Suzuki not deserve that? The guy was a reported arrogant and self involved idiot that pissed away a lot of cash.
                                He is lucky he is getting this chance.

Comment

Working...
                                X