BattleTech (Reboot)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BattleTech (Reboot)

Shadowrun Returns developer Harebrained Schemes will be rebooting the beloved turn-based tactics series BattleTech.

Created by Harebrained Schemes' founder Jordan Weisman back in 1984 as a board game called BattleDroids, the series changed its name to BattleTech in its second edition following a copyright squabble with Lucasfilm who'd already claimed the word "droid". The franchise went on to spawn numerous editions, novels, and video games. It even spawned the famous MechWarrior series.

Harebrained Schemes' upcoming BattleTech title will be the first turn-based BattleTech game for PC in over 20 years. Little is known about the game, but the developer said it will "feature an open-ended Mercenaries-style campaign that blends RPG 'Mech and MechWarrior management with modern turn-based tactics."

A Kickstarter campaign is planned to launch this autumn. Given how quickly Harebrained Schemes' Shadowrun: Hong Kong reached its funding goal, it seems likely BattleTech will come to fruition.
    From Eurogamer

Looks promising, both because Harebrained Schemes has delivered with its Shadowrun games and because its founder created BattleTech in the first place!

Weird; isn't there currently a "Mechwarrior Tactics" game, in addition to Mechwarrior Online?

MWO was a big disappointment for me. It's functional, I guess, but it's really just World of Tanks in mechs.

Comment

I would love a good action mechgame i still have the physical copies of Earthsiege 2 and mechwarrior 2

Comment

MWT has gone under (thankfully), this might be the real thing though. Will decide if backing it or not once they show something.

Comment

Oooh interesting.

I still haven't picked up Shadowrun yet but then I rarely get the time to game on my Laptop so trying to get stuck into a long game like this might be almost impossible.

Still it's nice to see them coming back & staying true to their roots too.

Neil

Comment

I love Battletech, fingers crossed they do a good job. Boy I'd love to see a Battletech RPG like The Crescent Hawks Revenge. That game was epic.

Comment

Working...
            X