Best car damage models?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best car damage models?

Since Indianapolis 500 on the PC 20 years ago, I've loved the way polygon cars can be made to break up and deform.

What are the best? Dirt Rally is looking like a contender for being near the top.

Here's a vid I made of me trashing the car. The rear wheels eventually go flat and then peel off to run on the rims. The radiator is damaged and the bodywork is pretty mashed. It's a bit long, but nearer the end, you'll see sped up bit which is the replay.

Remember to go full screen 1080

You have just reminded me of Hot Wheels Smash Ups. They were fantastic. No help to this thread... Can't possibly think of one that beats that video above.

Comment

I remember testing this in Gran Turismo 5.

RX7 FD 200mph straight into a wall, the bumper fell off slightly.

Comment

Flatout

Cmcrae 4/5 / forza 3 being very good
        Last edited by charlesr; 12-08-2015, 17:43.

Comment

Heheh, that Flatout vid is awesome.

Comment

I imagine Wreckfest would be worth a mention but I'm not sure it's going to get finished at this rate

Comment

Flatout had a great damage model.

Comment

Am I the only one whose experience with damaging cars in games is GTA and Sleeping Dogs?

Comment

I used to love Toca 2 and Colin McRae Rally 2 for this. It's quite an underrated pastime in a racing game and one of the main gaming 'fetishes' I truly enjoy. Every time I get a racer, I'm driving top speed into a wall. Then reversing, accelerating, smashing again. And again. 'Til all the front's smashed off and one or both of the front wheels go. Then, time to smash up the back. Rinse and repeat, maybe I'll even get that car to explode! God, I'm weird. But then one of my odd lifelong ambitions has been to smash up a 4x4 with a sledgehammer...

It probably all started with that Final Fight bonus game.

Comment

Working...
                  X