Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warning - Animal Crossing & 3DS system transfer

Hi all,

Just wanted to give a friendly warning as I've just fallen foul of something.

If you have the eShop (digital) version of Animal Crossing New Leaf for 3DS, if you do a system transfer, you must copy the entire game (do a full transfer) or you will lose your town and save-data.

If you have the cart version, it's different, but for the digital version, your savegame is inherently tied to the game saved on your SD card.

Most 3DS games, when copied, split their game data (the actual game) and the savedata into two files, so when you do the transfer, you can just select to copy all the savedata and redownload the games from the eShop afterward (the savedata "restores" automatically).

This is NOT the case for the digital version of Animal Crossing. If you don't have a big enough SD card in the target 3DS to do the transfer, then you cannot transfer your savedata at all.

Just as a warning as we found this out too late, having wiped all of Blobcat's savedata - a town save that has been live since day-1 when the game was launched. All her savedata for other games has transferred OK apart from Animal Crossing (the only one she particularly cares about).

Naturally I'm ****ing furious, as I spent all afternoon following the instructions to the letter only for this to happen.

Hopefully this will prevent this happening to someone else on here.

Ouch. That's hard to read even. Really sorry to hear that and thanks for the heads-up.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
      Ouch. That's hard to read even. Really sorry to hear that and thanks for the heads-up.
      Thing is, most people would never have noticed (judging by the lack of reaction online).

In our case, the old 3DSXL had a 16gb memory card that I upgraded some time back, and obviously the new one's was 4gb - so the most sensible thing seemed to be to select the "limited data transfer" option and do the transfer, then pull out the memory cards and transfer the data from the 4gb to the 16gb manually, after which we could redownload the game data.

If you haven't ever upgraded your 3DS's card, then you would just transfer it the normal way and everything would be OK.

Comment

Working...
      X