Zelda 64 vs The Wind Waker.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andy_T
    it was like some slightly skewed, twisted, bad dream vision of Zelda and all the better for it. looking up to find the moon was always a chilling experience!
    Oh yes. That moon is the most sinister thing I've seen in a Nintendo game.

The game itself was quite emotive too in places.

Comment

So far I'd say they're on a par with one another. I'd have to decide once I've finished WW.

Comment

most emotional bit in any game ever...

child link meeting princess zelda for the first time, with Zelda's lullaby in the background... the camera angle, looking up from the garden through the flowers, was so expressive. Man... I almost cried. Looking through the window as Gannon... Or, even the bit when Link leaves the village for the first time and is handed the Ocarina... the sadness of the girl (can't remember her name!) and Link's unsure but excited run from the bridge into the unknown... wow.

Does WW have (don't tell me the specifics), this kind of "emotion"?

Comment

Saria... yes that bit in OoT is heavily emotive even though it's right at the start and we hardly know either of the characters. We just KNOW from their expressions what it all means...
          Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

I found the last eveninig in Clock Town in Majora's Mask very emotive. The melancholy strings add to the sense of ensuing tragedy, as the town slowly empties itself.

One of the most touching moments was going into the post office, and seeing the postman crying his eyes out on the floor, wanting to flee but being too tied to an obsessive sense of duty over his job.

Felt so sorry for him.

Comment

Yeap.. I actually found the return to day one to be really emotive in MM. The fact that you've seen what's going to happen... makes you *want* to save the poor deluded Clock Town residents.

There's also a strong irony in the happy music of day 1 after witnessing the devastation of the end of day 3.

It's these kinds of touches that are just lost on so many gamers now, obsessed with fifa and GTA. Real emotion. It's a shame.

I'm assuming (although I don't want ANY spoilers whatsoever), that TWW will have at least the same and perhaps more emotion than either TooT or MM. Here's hoping... it's what made those two games (although TooT wins it for me) so fantastic.

Also, playing through LttP on my GBA right now.. fantastic. Doesn't have the same level of emotion that we've described above though, but, it does explain why we can have multiple "links" through the ages, as the bloodline of the knights of hyrule passes throw the generations...

Comment

Having played a bit of WW i put the bonus disk in.

Now oot is still fine but i find the camera very limited compared to WW

I also found this with m64 after playing mario sunshine !!

Id say they are gameplay wise on par maybe WW is edging it

Comment

I prefer TWW, the graphics and especially the facial expressions take the game onto another level IMO.

I don't want to spoil ANYTHING so i can't give any specifics but there were a few moments when i felt genuine emotion for Link when he made an upset or happy face.

I also have found a number of bits pretty funny, can't remember what specifically though except the battleship game!

Comment

Originally posted by Ryo
                    I also have found a number of bits pretty funny, can't remember what specifically though except the battleship game!
                    I am so glad they kept that in. I was afraid it would have been removed in the translation. I love that guy!

It is hard to say which is better imo, they are both fantastic. Majora's Mask is also incredible, but not in the same league as OOT and WW though. It has a different feel to it that was very welcome. Majora?s Mask seems a lot more darker and emotive then OOT and WW but doesn't quite hit the mark whereas the others do. I do think the character-mini games in MM are the best seen in any Zelda game and I would have loved to see more of those in Wind Waker, hopefully we shall in the next Zelda title.

Wind Waker as a whole is a better game in my opinion. It has an incredible style of art work and graphics, fantastic sound effects and beautiful music. The enemies are better, the battle is slicker, and the weapons are way more fun and the camera just about perfect.

But there are elements in Ocarina Of Time that outshine WW. The end battle scene in OOT is executed much better then WW imo and the end makes you feel like u earned it more. The Hyrule Field has a sense of meaning and marvel not seen in Wind Waker?s Ocean. Indeed it is vast, but the same piece of Ocean repeated again and again doesn?t have that sense of scale as OOT?s field.

Yes, so, to conclude, both are incredible games. OOT will always been seen as one of the ?Greatest games of all time? and Wind Waker will be classed as ?better.?
                    ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

I've deliberately stayed away from looking at the Zelda posts but i must ask this.

Has anyone experienced the same disappointment that was felt after playing SMS in comparison to SM64? Does this happen with TWW in relation to OOT?

Comment

Originally posted by acidforblood
                        I've deliberately stayed away from looking at the Zelda posts but i must ask this.

Has anyone experienced the same disappointment that was felt after playing SMS in comparison to SM64? Does this happen with TWW in relation to OOT?
                        Well... not all of us felt dissappointment... I for one enjoyed SMS immensly. While I didn't bother getting all the blue stars, I loved the rest of it. One of my faves and I enjoyed it just as much as SM64.

But that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by scottcr

Well... not all of us felt dissappointment... I for one enjoyed SMS immensly. While I didn't bother getting all the blue stars, I loved the rest of it. One of my faves and I enjoyed it just as much as SM64.

But that's just me.
                          Maybe it was my expectations and then the deflation of them not being realised.

Comment

So far I prefer WW and I can't see that changing because I thought OOT was gash. Really dull and didn't get too far into it due to the dullness. I was excited at first (bought the N64 for it) and then bored. Wind Waker is great so far.

On an aside, SMS is good but flawed. The camera is cack and incrediblt frustrating. Not meaning "hard", just frustrating.

Comment

I didnt enjoy OOT, but love TWW.

I loved Mario 64 but didnt like SMS.

I think the problem for me was the fact I expected a lot from SMS, whereas as I didn't like past Zelda games I was expecting very little from TWW.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewl
                                Originally posted by lordcookie
                                (the guy who runs the battleship game cracks me up everytime).
                                SPLIIISH, SPLIIISH, SPLIIISH, KABOOOM
                                Ditto, that really made me laugh. I did it in 16 bombs btw!

He looks so bloody bored, and the total lack of enthusiasm when he uses those face cards & sound fx.

That gay pirate guarding the captains room at the beginning. His quirps & noises where hilarious.

Comment

Working...
                                X