Soul Calibur 2- general advice on truly getting better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This isnt fair

NOBODY has challenged me this week - I NEED to fight!
    I swear the next person I fight is gonna take such a HURTING!1!!

Comment

Originally posted by JU!
      I seem to be alrite at most beat em ups but never seem to get to a high standard. Is there anything i shud be doing differently, i use Ivy and will use Tokudas steps n see if that helps, but i have never understood the framerate issue, i read about it alot but it seems very confusing. I know that to be a kick ass player u must understand this.

I seem to get to a certain level on beat em ups then can go no further in making myself better, what am i doin wrong? Virtua Fighter 4 is a good example in Kumite with Lion i keep winning a round then loose 2 then win 2 etc, and don't seem to be able to win continously at the level i'm at.
      First off, the framerates issue isn`t that big a deal to be honest. Some of the more dedicated players choose to study these, but if you play a fighter enough, you will come to naturally understand which moves move quicker and which move slower.

It is also less of an issue in a fighter like Soul Calibur than something like VF4 Evo.

Getting really really good is ALL ABOUT THE COMPETITION AND CHALLENGES. In each and every fighter, there is only so far you can go by playing the computer which no matter how clever the AI is, is working to set of routines, and doesn`t play like a human opponent. If you have friends prepared to sit down and learn a fighter a bit and you spend time learning the moves and experimenting with different set-ups and combos, you will inevitably get better.

Comment

I loved SC tpo bits and certainly gets most game time on the DC.

So in anticipation of the PAL SC2 release, i've decided to sit down and LEARN a character on SC.

But who to pick?

My current fav is Cerevantes, Mitsurugi, Knightmare and Astaroth but all this saurian talk made me pick Lizardman a few times in a couple of matches with the missus. Interesting character.

I'm open to advice on which to learn.

Also, the training mode, are ALL the moves listed?

And finally, that odd charge thing where you glow, apart from say energy recovery in some Mission games, what is it for?

Ta.

Comment

Lizardman is VERY powerful

In the right hands he's near unstoppable, his attacks are as powerful as Cervantes etc yet he has the speed of Taki and longer range than Mitsurugi or Kilik. I'd say the only character he struggles against is Nightmare, MOST of Lizardman's tactics invlove getting round the side of the opponent - Nightmare makes this difficult due to his range. His counter (HCF B) when connected very deep while the opponent attacks is one of the most powerful attacks in the game (but you have to learn how to set it up)

TBH I prefer Soul Calibur to Soul Calibur 2.

I wrote some Lizardman basics earlier in this thread - check them out if you want to start using him. You gotta sit down and REALLY think about how to set his stuff up, he has more moves that stun without them having to counter than most other characters - that's the main strength. You need to work out attacks which lead into a stun; then take massive damage with a juggle.

Comment

Originally posted by TheShend
            Also, the training mode, are ALL the moves listed?
            Yeah- all the moves are listed so theres no language issues or need to download movelists from the net.

As for choosing a character, I can`t give you much help there I`m afraid. I think its just a case of you sitting down with the game, playing with all the characters and then just picking one you either like the look of, or you feel you `connect` most to.

Way back in uni when I first got Soul Cali DC on JPN import, about 6 of my mates started to learn the game as well, which is one of the main reasons I feel I`ve gotten as good as I have. We all ended up picking different favourite characters which says much for the game, and over the course of nearly 2 games completely rinsed the game and had epic battles pretty much every night.

Comment

Originally posted by Saurian

TBH I prefer Soul Calibur to Soul Calibur 2.
              Yeah, but thats because they got rid of your lizard

For me, after rinsing both games totally, SC2 is without question the better game. Its ****ing gay that they got rid of Rock, Lizardman and Hwang and shows a blatent disregard for many Cali fans, however, as games in themselves Cali2 is the better game, and anyone who has had their character retained would agree with this. This is because with each character they`ve kept, they`ve kept the same moves, gotten rid of 1 or 2 of the lame ones, and also beefed up each character with a couple of new wicked moves. This means each character is even better than in the first game.

I`m totally loving working Mitsus new moves into my routine. Its so so satisfying pulling them off and integrating them properly into my fighting style.

Comment

I`m totally loving working Mitsus new moves into my routine. Its so so satisfying pulling them off and integrating them properly into my fighting style.
                Look at this brer rubbing the salt in!

Namco need to get taken aside and jacked for their shoes.

Comment

And finally, that odd charge thing where you glow, apart from say energy recovery in some Mission games, what is it for?
                  The ?Soul Charge? (performed by pressing A+B+K simultaneously )at its most basic will make the next attack you perform have the properties of a counter hit. As mentioned earlier, a ?counter? is when you attack an opponent as they are performing an attack of their own (in Soul Calibur, hitting an opponent whilst are performing an 8 Way Run is also a counter). Many moves receive different hit properties when they are executed as a counter. Opponents may be launched higher, allowing for greater juggle possibilities, or the attack may stun or spin an opponent leaving you an opportunity for an undefended follow up attack.

By successfully utilising the Soul Charge, you can remove the need of having to time your attacks as a counter to take advantage of these modified attack properties. However, certain moves (and this feature is greatly developed in SC2) will become unblockable if performed when Soul Charged.

The downside to all this counter hit goodness is that when performing a Soul Charge, you are temporarily vulnerable as you are unable to move (again this is modified in SC2). Also if you Guard before performing an attack whilst charged, the Soul Charge will be cancelled.

Soul Charge is not something that should be overused but is a useful tool one you become more au fait with the game. Once you have picked up the fundamentals you can start looking at the use of Soul Charge cancels.

Also, the Soul Charge system in SC2 is modified slightly.

Comment

Originally posted by Saurian
                    Look at this brer rubbing the salt in!

Namco need to get taken aside and jacked for their shoes.
                    Its ****ing **** isn`t it?

I bet you any money the people who actually made the game were appalled at the idea of taking out some of the characters, but that the marketing and management bigwigs forced their hand. It just makes no sense why they had to cut out 3 of the characters from the first game.

Comment

Originally posted by C'
                      The ?Soul Charge? (performed by pressing A+B+K simultaneously )at its most basic will make the next attack you perform have the properties of a counter hit. As mentioned earlier, a ?counter? is when you attack an opponent as they are performing an attack of their own (in Soul Calibur, hitting an opponent whilst are performing an 8 Way Run is also a counter). Many moves receive different hit properties when they are executed as a counter. Opponents may be launched higher, allowing for greater juggle possibilities, or the attack may stun or spin an opponent leaving you an opportunity for an undefended follow up attack.

By successfully utilising the Soul Charge, you can remove the need of having to time your attacks as a counter to take advantage of these modified attack properties. However, certain moves (and this feature is greatly developed in SC2) will become unblockable if performed when Soul Charged.

The downside to all this counter hit goodness is that when performing a Soul Charge, you are temporarily vulnerable as you are unable to move (again this is modified in SC2). Also if you Guard before performing an attack whilst charged, the Soul Charge will be cancelled.

Soul Charge is not something that should be overused but is a useful tool one you become more au fait with the game. Once you have picked up the fundamentals you can start looking at the use of Soul Charge cancels.

Also, the Soul Charge system in SC2 is modified slightly.
                      Its interesting what you say here mate, because I certainly didn`t know all of this, only the basics of what you said.

IMO though, the Soul charge aint all that useful, and certainly amongst the Soul Cali heads in the arcades here, its a feature which is barely used. I guess its worth exploring its depths and possibilities, but IMO, its better to spend your time training up on getting sick and fluent with the moves at your characters disposal.

Comment

I use the Soul Charge for show only - If I want to set someone up for a stun/counter they WILL take it. It's nice to have it if you NEED a counterhit badly but it's just as effective to sort your own setups.

It's all about learning how people react. TBH the only time I use it is when I want to do that sweet pose

Comment

Originally posted by Tokuda
                          For me, after rinsing both games totally, SC2 is without question the better game. Its ****ing gay that they got rid of Rock, Lizardman and Hwang and shows a blatent disregard for many Cali fans, however, as games in themselves Cali2 is the better game, and anyone who has had their character retained would agree with this. This is because with each character they`ve kept, they`ve kept the same moves, gotten rid of 1 or 2 of the lame ones, and also beefed up each character with a couple of new wicked moves. This means each character is even better than in the first game.
                          I agree with this 100%.

Despite losing my character, it's blatantly obvious to me how Namco have improved on this game in so many respects.

Talim is a great addition to the game, with a brilliant forceful style of play. It is sad that certain characaters got culled but I find it hard to belief that even the most ardent of Lizardman fans sould be able to find another character that they click with.

And if not, maybe they should question how good they really are at the game

Comment

You are bad guy! - you NEED to pass by these parts and have a sesh man!

Comment

Talim is a great addition to the game, with a brilliant forceful style of play. It is sad that certain characaters got culled but I find it hard to belief that even the most ardent of Lizardman fans sould be able to find another character that they click with.

OMG! Thats a real challenge!

Comment

I'm always up for some ^^

I got a few heads passing round tonight for a kicking. I am 7buzz away from killing another one of Mark's scores on Psyvariar (I'll try and make sure he dont play it )
                                But as far as Calibur goes, I'm not worried

Comment

Working...
                                X