Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally, now some time has passed, everything about the service sucks and is one of the first real negatives the system has. It's a low sub price but it's too much like Nintendo attempting to force a fee on online players to make them unwillingly have access to some NES games. I couldn't care less about the offerings they're making instead of a proper VC solution to the subscription access so this is just another cash grab for zero gain as a consumer.

I know there's a load of counter arguments that could be made about the higher costs of XBL/PSN and the content on those for subscribers but with Nintendo's set up... any fee as it exists just instinctively feels a bad move.

Comment

Personally, I don't object to paying Nintendo in the XBL/PSN climate. But I still think it's a mistake. One of Nintendo's huge strengths is the accessibility. For people, especially kids, to just be able to turn on a game and play it online or offline and not have to faff around with accounts or subscriptions is a huge positive of Nintendo's output on the 3DS and so far for the Switch. This creates a barrier. This creates a paywall and complications and questions and it removes that ease of play. That's a step backwards.

Comment

I wonder if the next TV advert will show four trendy twenty-somethings sit down in a café, connect their Switch's to the store wi-fi signals for some multiplayer action on Super Smash Bros 5 then have one guy looking bored whilst another struggles logging in and another player looks on sad because he doesn't have his card with him and his sub-lapsed.

Comment

Yes, true. This is a barrier for people buying it for their kids who now have to factor in the same costs of just buying a PS4. Also, the games are more expensive anyway (indie games costing £40?!) so this should just be included.

Online NES games though...they have SOMETHING there.

Comment

Underwhelming. This feels unnecessary considering the limited range of multiplayer games available, and I'm not convinced by the NES games. I mean, NES games? Really? Would've been nice to have something a bit more exciting provided.

Comment

I'm thinking I may as well get Splatoon when it's free to play online. You are right - unless a tonne of online titles magically appear it's not worth it. However, Mario Kart is my favourite online title and the only one I play semi-regularly.

Comment

Wow, Bayonetta 2 digital version is $64.49, thanks for that Nintendo.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                  Wow, Bayonetta 2 digital version is $64.49, thanks for that Nintendo.
                  It's Bayo 1+2 or just Bayo 2?

Comment

Just Bayo 2. Bayo 1 is $39.49, and the physical with Bayo DL is $79.99

I might actually go physical.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                      Underwhelming. This feels unnecessary considering the limited range of multiplayer games available, and I'm not convinced by the NES games. I mean, NES games? Really? Would've been nice to have something a bit more exciting provided.
                      Hopefully they follow with things like online 8-player SMK. That would be worth $20 in itself. Some classic single player DLC would be a very nice Idea too... Imagine SMW: The Lost Levels, or a new four dungeon expansion to LttP.

Comment

Something I'm finding a bit frustrating about the Switch - charging issues and standby time.

So firstly, the machine runs out the battery when on standby. This is a bit of a shame. The 3DS had this problem, but that machine had features that led to it like StreetPass, whereas when the Switch is on standby, it's a real shame that it'll almost fully discharge in the space of four or five days.

What's worse, though, is that once fully discharged, the machine takes about 10 minutes to turn back on when placed on the charger - and worse, the JoyCons also fully discharge. This means that I've put my Switch in the charger, and after waiting 10 minutes for it to turn on, I've discovered that I can't actually play on it until I give the JoyCons time to charge. Seems a bit daft that the machine doesn't switch off the JoyCons when the machine goes on standby.

Comment

Putting it into airplane mode extends the standby time substantially.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                            Putting it into airplane mode extends the standby time substantially.
                            Makes sense. I'll do this next time. Seems odd though; why is the wifi taking up power when on standby? Does it do anything?

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                              Makes sense. I'll do this next time. Seems odd though; why is the wifi taking up power when on standby? Does it do anything?
                              Download stuff like patches, system updates, and news for the lock screen.

Comment

Originally posted by briareos_kerensky View Post
                                Download stuff like patches, system updates, and news for the lock screen.
                                Hmm; makes sense when it's plugged in but I'd have thought it wouldn't do that when not on charge.

Comment

Working...
                                X