Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From the outside looking in the Switch seems to be a dire platform for a variety of decent games

Glad I didn’t fall for the “yay! Nintendo will combine their teams and only have one focus and we’ll be swimming in great games” hype that was being punted around as the lineup has it’s occasional AAA exclusive titles but most of it is just dross, ports and crap which is evidenced by how well these repacked old releases sell as people are starved for games it seems.

Thus far it’s playing out like every other Nintendo console since the Cube - a good 2nd machine but a bad main gaming platform. Even comparing it to the Vita and it’s a lost cause in terms of good titles, Indy’s, variety and a smattering of mainline franchises and that’s pretty crazy when you think about it.

Just makes me wonder why it seems N rushed that hardware out with seemingly very little to support it and a year later not much had changed. Methinks they did it solely for the money as they needed to hit some kind of performance targets in order to keep stockholders happy because the hardware ain’t all that by their usual standards and the software support isn’t that amusing either and this is coming from a guy that was called “the Nintendo defence force” up in here (along with some other expletives too. Probably) a while back.

Do those of you through the looking glass feel the same or are you chugging hard on that Kool Aid?

Comment

It has only struck me this morning that we know Firewatch is coming to Switch and yet Nintendo didn’t make a thing of it at E3 (so what else is there like that?) and, maybe even more of a curiosity, no mention of Labo at all.

Comment

I was hoping to see some Metroid Prime 4.

Looking forward to Pokémon and Monster Hunter.

Comment

Originally posted by replicashooter View Post
          Do those of you through the looking glass feel the same or are you chugging hard on that Kool Aid?
          I'm still loving the GOTY flavor Kool Aid. Unsure if we'll have any for this year, but last year more than accounts for that.

Comment

Great. Here’s hoping you enjoy this years hottest mobile phone games as they get ported across

Comment

Do you look to start fights in the street as well as on gaming forums? I'm just curious.

Originally posted by hudson View Post
              I was hoping to see some Metroid Prime 4.

Looking forward to Pokémon and Monster Hunter.
              The 3DS Generations is on sale right now, you can level up your character and carry your stats across to the Switch version.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                Do you look to start fights in the street as well as on gaming forums? I'm just curious
                Go head say my name for the attention it brings and be famous for getting your ass kicked like Rodney King.

Comment

People just looked at me funny and kept walking.

Comment

From the outside looking in the Switch seems to be a dire platform for a variety of decent games
                    It's a bad situation for people who bought a Wii U early on and owned games like Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, Super Smash Bros etc.. . But people who didn't own a Wii U are probably quite happy with Nintendo's Switch games so far, because they're certainly all very high quality products.

As someone who owns a Wii U and still uses it online, I don't feel compelled to buy a Switch. I've been playing Mario Kart 8 since 2014, so would love a MK9, but that's probably not going to happen until Nintendo's next console. A new F-Zero would probably convince me to part with the cash, but I doubt Nintendo are working on one. There just aren't enough games that appeal to me on the Switch, so I don't feel like spending £300+ to play Mario Odyssey, even if it's a great game.

I've always hoped that Nintendo would expand the development side of their business, so loads more games could be made, but it seems like they're happy to produce a few games. Seeing that a lot of Nintendo's Switch games are minor updates to Wii U titles, it really puts into perspective how little development has been going on at Nintendo over the past few years. It's a very strange situation for a company that should be reveling in the popularity of the Switch and making the most of the opportunity to come back strong in the console market.
                    Last edited by Leon Retro; 17-06-2018, 07:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                      It's a bad situation for people who bought a Wii U early on and owned games like Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, Super Smash Bros etc.. . But people who didn't own a Wii U are probably quite happy with Nintendo's Switch games so far, because they're certainly all very high quality products. As someone who owns a Wii U and still uses it online, I don't feel compelled to buy a Switch. I've been playing Mario Kart 8 since 2014, so would love a MK9, but that's probably not going to happen until Nintendo's next console. A new F-Zero would probably convince me to part with the cash, but I doubt Nintendo are working on one. There just aren't enough games that appeal to me on the Switch, so I don't feel like spending £300+ to play Mario Odyssey, even if it's a great game. I've always hoped that Nintendo would expand the development side of their business, so loads more games could be made, but it seems like they're happy to produce a few games. Seeing that a lot of Nintendo's Switch games are minor updates to Wii U titles, it really puts into perspective how little development has been going on at Nintendo over the past few years. It's a very strange situation for a company that should be reveling in the popularity of the Switch and making the most of the opportunity to come back strong in the console market.
                      This is exactly what I find so perplexing as they have one platform and all their teams and yet this *waves around at the crap that festoons the platform* is all there is to show for it and its questionable how much of it was actually made for the Switch and not just quickly chunted across. Just made me wonder. Whilst it may not be the most popular opinion I' not here to win no contest (unless its Twat Of The Week ), just calling it how I see and all thats on the table thus far leads me to believe that Nintendo are going to pull a Vita on this platform just before the ninth generation kicks in and they'll leave everyone who invested high and dry and I think that'll be the point I pick one up for the handful of exclusives that'll be worth playing. I just find it so odd that so many people are blind to the way N are treating this platform and what that usually heralds.

Comment

I just find it so odd that so many people are blind to the way N are treating this platform and what that usually heralds.
                        If the Wii U had been a big success, then Nintendo couldn't get away with the games they're putting out on the Switch. But because it was a major flop, most people haven't played MK8, Splatoon, Super Smash Bros etc... so Nintendo can be lazy and act like the Wii U never happened.

The whole situation with Nintendo's Switch games is only relevant to people who bought a Wii U early on and supported the platform. Nintendo are lucky that Wii U games still look good, so the Switch versions don't have people saying "This looks like a last gen game!"

Even Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze has been released again for £50.

It feels really negative to me, that Nintendo isn't delivering a new F-Zero, Wave Race, Pilotwings, Excite Bike/Truck etc... The people running the company obviously refuse to expand the business so loads of great games can be made to really entice and excite gamers.

But despite my negative feelings towards the Switch situation so far, the machine has been a huge success, and I think it will end up being seen as a classic Nintendo product. I doubt it will for me though, because I still don't have enough reasons to buy one.
                        Last edited by Leon Retro; 17-06-2018, 09:05.

Comment

Yep but the thing that speaks volumes (aside from the neglect of so many franchises) is that we're a year into the machine and it has virtually nothing it can call its own so what the heck have the dev teams been doing? No doubt its a great concept but when I see forums full of people getting hyped up about old ass ports of games like Full Throttle and see release schedules full of mobile phone games it really makes you wonder what part Nintendo are playing in all of this as it seems like they're doing this purely for the money and as a way to offset the Wii U as all they are offering is the most basic level of support possible and thats why I think it doesn't bode well for the longevity of this platform because they simply don't appear to give a toss about it. Sure people want Nintendo to "win" because Nintendo but if you compare this platform to pretty much anything else they've released you can see how its a bit of a red haired stepchild in terms of support and that is quite odd for a company that should be wishing to capitalize on its success and is laughable when compared to other platforms as even Sony did more for the Vita... Being one of the handful of people that own a Wii U has no doubt influenced me to look at the Switch differently but then maybe everyone else just doesn't realize the emperor is naked yet?

Comment

when I see forums full of people getting hyped up about old ass ports of games like Full Throttle and see release schedules full of mobile phone games it really makes you wonder what part Nintendo are playing in all of this

Must be powerful black magic to be able to wipe away the Wii U debacle and then sell people the same old games for £50. Tropical Freeze being re-released for £50 really shows how cocky Nintendo is at the moment.

I can only hope that the current success leads to Nintendo being more ambitious with its plans for the future after the Switch. The company won't have loads of old games to rely on with the next console.

Comment

Yup, it beggars belief how Nintendo keep charging new money for old rope.

Comment

The kicker for me is Hyrule Warriors. It costs more on the Switch than it cost new on the WiiU or 3DS.

I know it contains the season pass stuff rolled into one package but I don't think that comes close to making up for it.

Comment

Working...
                                X