Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd be willing to hazard that by March chatter will be brewing quick on the next gen systems. You sum up how Nintendo likely look at things well, though its not willing them to fail more the opposite in willing them not to when they repeatedly and needlessly do. Nintendo likely do look at Switch and think its selling $$$ in hardware and software so everything's fine but it's that short term mentality that's cost them before and helped led to the embarrassment of the WiiU. They're happy not to line up a steady stream of products going forward because they can milk the ones that are out now, then the gravy train stops and they realise they're years out from sorting it out.

It would be a massive, massive shame if Nintendo gets complacent of the Switch's success and yet again find themselves in a position where consumers shift away to other new formats in droves because they feel content starved. It's happened repeatedly and the concern is that the longer they keep quiet on upcoming games by focusing on one or two key releases per year (like Smash/Pokémon Let's Go) the more concern will grow that that's all they're largely working on and people will start to lose interest as happened with the later Wii into WiiU years.

Last year was a good template for them, steady releases of a mix of genres. This year... well, since Odyssey I've still been waiting for them to even reveal a game of significant interest for myself

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
      They're happy not to line up a steady stream of products going forward because they can milk the ones that are out now
      Yep. Like I mentioned before, they are still advertising Mario Kart 7. Which is pretty baffling to me but they have been doing this since at least the DS days - making one of a thing and just advertising that thing forever like it never gets old rather than feeling that pressure to push the new thing. I'll need new games (we'll all need new games) but on some level this has to be working for them or they would have stopped doing it years ago. Their big hitters must keep making them money for a long time and, as we've also talked about, rarely seem to lose much value either so I think they're just playing a different game here.

And as long as we get good games, I'm fine with whatever game they're playing.

Comment

That's it, say they advertise and sell Odyssey for the next few years with no sequel that's fine and understandable if it keeps doing well. They just need enough new frequent releases for those who aren't interested in it or have finished it, its that that I think they lose track of. I'm fine catching up for a while on Switch for now but there's still a genuine question mark of whether there'll be anything I want to play at all come later this year, a time when most consoles are spoiled for choice.

Comment

Yeah, for me, the upcoming proper Pokemon is the main title I'm interested in (not the stop-gap one coming soon). I'm not sure there's anything else in-between I'm fussed about. I wanted Hyrule Warriors but I'm not prepared to pay the daft ~£45 for it.

It's feeling more like the 3DS for me; how there was an initial burst of titles then a big lull.

Comment

All I need is Smash. They can stop making games after that and bring out a Switch 2 two years later with a new Zelda/Mario/Arms, and repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
              All I need is Smash. They can stop making games after that and bring out a Switch 2 two years later with a new Zelda/Mario/Arms, and repeat.
              youre in luck Dave, I think that's exactly what they're planning!

Long term sales definitely work better for Nintendo than most. Frequently I marvel at the continued charting of GTA 5, and while Nintendo don't have a game which sells on quite that scale over a long period, they do have a broad spread of games which deliver full price sales for years after release.

It can be frustrating as a fan when you don't get new stuff to play though. I feel the same with GTA and TES. They can be leveraged over such a long period that waiting for a new one is really quite wearing. First world problems, but still.

Comment

Well it's DEFINITELY about time they get a Switch Animal Crossing out. It seems crazy that it hasn't even been mentioned by them yet.

Comment

Dunno why I even have mine. Not looking forward to anything on it except metroid.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                    Dunno why I even have mine. Not looking forward to anything on it except metroid.
                    That's where I'm at too

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                      You’ll be waiting a good few years for that to even surface I expect, let alone get released.

Comment

I don't know. Didn't you see that they have already made a logo? How much more could there be to do?

Comment

Actually, in my master plan to get the family all playing together I might pick up Overcooked 2.

Comment

I've heard great things about Overcooked. Let me know how this new one is.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                              Actually, in my master plan to get the family all playing together I might pick up Overcooked 2.
                              Sounds like a bit of a crap plan, really. Nothing gets people playing together like Smash.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                                Sounds like a bit of a crap plan, really. Nothing gets people playing together like Smash.
                                Foiled already I only just told my wife about it and she said it sounded stressful. Maybe it is time I gave the auld Mike Smash another go ...

Comment

Working...
                                X