Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Way back in the day, sequels for popular videogame characters were made off the back of unit sales and general popularity of the original game which said character first appeared in, and without the need for massive cross-promotion.

In the four years since Shovel Knight debuted, Shovel Knight has appeared in countless other indie games already and has his own amiibo, along with other Shovel Knight characters (one of the very few indie franchises, if not the only indie franchise, to be awarded that honour). Also, the original Shovel Knight Kickstarter crowdfunder campaign (which I backed) is, iirc, one of the most popular and successful crowdfunding campaigns for a videogame ever.

None of that is even mentioning the expansion DLC added to the core game over the last four years, also well received like the core game which is currently averaging 90%+ on Metacritic.

Just my opinion, but all of that alone is surely enough to warrant a bonafide sequel at this point instead of Yacht Club Games continuing to pimp Shovel Knight out.
    Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 13-05-2018, 19:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
      Way back in the day, sequels for popular videogame characters were made off the back of unit sales and general popularity of the original game which said character first appeared in, and without the need for massive cross-promotion.

In the four years since Shovel Knight debuted, Shovel Knight has appeared in countless other indie games already and has his own amiibo, along with other Shovel Knight characters (one of the very few indie franchises, if not the only indie franchise, to be awarded that honour). Also, the original Shovel Knight Kickstarter crowdfunder campaign (which I backed) is, iirc, one of the most popular and successful crowdfunding campaigns for a videogame ever.

None of that is even mentioning the expansion DLC added to the core game over the last four years, also well received like the core game which is currently averaging 90%+ on Metacritic.

Just my opinion, but all of that alone is surely enough to warrant a bonafide sequel at this point instead of Yacht Club Games continuing to pimp Shovel Knight out.
      I see what you're saying but I think you aren't seeing the situation as it stands because a) this isn't way back in the day b) this isn't from a major publisher and c) Yacht Club aren't playing by the standard rules.

From my perspective they are doing a bang up job keeping their name/mascot out there without a huge marketing budget via wise cross promotion and a lot of other Indy devs love them because they represent the transition from dream to reality plus they've cranked out DLC (which I see as the modern equivalent of a sequel) every couple of years so it seems you are just hating for the sake of hating as they are a 5 man team who've crafted a darling title and are evidently aware of the strength of their IP and hence the expectations that come from a true sequel.

A rushed game is bad forever as they say and I'd rather they took their time and served it up when they felt it was right whilst keeping their mascot in our minds with all these appearances because if it weren't for them we'd see comments like "Why have Yacht Club forgotten about Shovel Knight?" instead...

Comment

Nintendo Serves up Some Fresh Footage of a New Level From the Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
          And my personal favourite,

Why do I have to craft a wet stone and why can I only carry 5 per hunt.
          As a series veteran i cant understand why anyone would want to go back to this, I've played this game in its many incarnations across the PS2, PSP, 3DS and wiiu, (i was on the network beta test for the first game and played it to death). So I don't think its necessarily a good thing having to mess with paint balls, crafting whetstones, or having item crafting fail, its all just historic bull**** and quality of life stuff that should of been fixed long ago.

The improvements that make monster hunter world the best in the series to date, are things that make it friendlier to play while still offering high level challenges in the form of tempered quests. I'm pretty happy that they have set the standard and modernized the series, and while I've found some of the hunts easy a lot on my friends list haven't so i think upping the difficulty to previous levels would turn a lot of people away and push the game back to its niche status.

I think personally they should go further away from the original by fixing the terrible hit boxes, and making it easier to make anti bull**** builds, you really shouldn't have to put in 100 hours of play to get a good earplug build. carrying quests need to go too they are easier now but my word i'm fed up with them, surely they can come up with some new quest types after all these years.

Comment

I'm really, really hoping that this is a smokescreen for a Switch port of Starfox Zero that removes the super-garbage motion controls that should never, ever have been in the Wii U original to start with.

The idea of a Starfox racer sounds dreadful imo, a complete and utter franchise-killer.

Comment

Diddy Kong Racing with Starfox characters could be good. Although you have to ask why?

Comment

Originally posted by Pavey View Post
                Diddy Kong Racing with Starfox characters could be good. Although you have to ask why?
                No.

Just, no.

Proper F-Zero? Yes.

Starfox Zero without craptastic controls? YES.

Not this crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                  No.

Just, no.

Proper F-Zero? Yes.

Starfox Zero without craptastic controls? YES.

Not this crap.
                  I don't know, a sky based F-zero style game with shooting elements and boss battles could be good if done right.

its just a rumor now but id kind of trust Retro studios with this sort of thing. Rare took the Mario kart formula and did something different and wonderful with diddy kong racing why couldn't it work again for retro.
                  Last edited by Lebowski; 14-05-2018, 14:28.

Comment

I remain very sceptical. But we'll see.

Comment

They keep saying there's a new Mortal Kombat game due out.

Maybe it's an update of MOTOR KOMBAAAAT!

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
                        As a series veteran i cant understand why anyone would want to go back to this, I've played this game in its many incarnations across the PS2, PSP, 3DS and wiiu, (i was on the network beta test for the first game and played it to death). So I don't think its necessarily a good thing having to mess with paint balls, crafting whetstones, or having item crafting fail, its all just historic bull**** and quality of life stuff that should of been fixed long ago.
                        Yeah, no offence but I think there is a core to the Monster Hunter franchise fanbase that had its apex around the release of the Wii version, who took delight in loving a game which was deliberately awkward to play. Like when these discussions popped up, they would come out of the woodwork to lambast anyone who asked for things like a camera lock-on function.

Comment

If Retro had been working on a new Star Fox I'd be well happy as long as it was a true sequel. I've no interest in Zero being adapted, that entry was poor even if you took out the motion controls however I'm very doubtful Retro have been working on that ip all these years given Platinum were also allowed a turn. Retro have been at it for so long that by now you have to hope it's something original.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                            Yeah, no offence but I think there is a core to the Monster Hunter franchise fanbase that had its apex around the release of the Wii version, who took delight in loving a game which was deliberately awkward to play. Like when these discussions popped up, they would come out of the woodwork to lambast anyone who asked for things like a camera lock-on function.
                            Generations is a nod to all the games that have come before it so its embracing all the jank and awkwardness, it almost feels like a swan song to monster hunter of old. its not even put together by the main team its a side line project which is good i suppose as it dosen't take development away from MHW. it has every monster, every location and a ridiculous amount of weapons and Armour from all the previous games thrown in.

Its main issues though are that with this many big monsters to fight some are very poorly optimized and balanced. your getting a massive ton of content but at the cost of quality it seems, these issues haven't been fixed and most likely they cant as balancing a game to take into account 100+ monsters must be a nightmare. i can kind of see why maybe its taken so long to come to the west as the localization of all this content must be immense, and a bit of a gamble. No doubt the success of world pushed them to finally bring it out over here.
                            Last edited by Lebowski; 14-05-2018, 15:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post

The improvements that make monster hunter world the best in the series to date, are things that make it friendlier to play while still offering high level challenges in the form of tempered quests. I'm pretty happy that they have set the standard and modernized the series, and while I've found some of the hunts easy a lot on my friends list haven't so i think upping the difficulty to previous levels would turn a lot of people away and push the game back to its niche status.

I think personally they should go further away from the original by fixing the terrible hit boxes, and making it easier to make anti bull**** builds, you really shouldn't have to put in 100 hours of play to get a good earplug build. carrying quests need to go too they are easier now but my word i'm fed up with them, surely they can come up with some new quest types after all these years.
                              I've still barely touched the different hunting styles. They should have kept those for World.
                              I hope they mod in the auto-crafting and constant 100% craft rates though.

Comment

That Star Fox rumour seems to be gaining traction. Everything about the idea of it is awful, it's literally just the reputational standards of Retro keeping me on board with that one.

Comment

Working...
                                X