No announcement yet.

GCD2: Games Chart Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still impressive that they're not far off the mark even with the Higher RRP and all the failure to start this gen with chip shortages, scalping, covid ect.

I wonder if the ultra cheap portable pc space has taken any momentum away from them, seeing lots of thrifty pc setups with docked steam decks that occupy the same space as a traditional console while also having the portability of Switch. It's a cheaper option too with a deck starting at 250 for a refurb direct from valve, if not as seamless and easy to use as a console thanks to compatibility and the usual pc tweaking you have to do.

Comment

Sony would definitely be best trying to think of new ways to keep sales sustained as long as possible, possibly trying to extend PS5's life to as close to 10 years as possible.

The software momentum to make use of current consoles is painfully slow and their sales projections for the next 12 months suggest that they don't expect any PS5 Pro to significantly impact sales. Switch 2 will already be lower powered and set to run on the market from 2025 until at the very least 2033/2034 meaning publishers can make good use of releasing across formats. With Xbox on the verge of dropping out of the hardware market whether by choice or not they'd otherwise be cutting PS5 off to launch a overly expensive PS6 with little requirement for the additional power and in the face of no real competitor, a pretty useless move that would only further narrow things for consumers. It's a shame and a curious thing in the overall market longterm as well because the only real realistic avenue to stave off a market shrink would be to find a route to getting cheaper hardware out there without sacrificing capability which doesn't seem likely.

Comment

Agreed. Although Switch 2 will certainly be lower powered than PS5, I don't think the gap in terms of the software it's capable of running will actually be particularly meaningful (especially as, since you point out, few games are really stretching the PS5 as it is).

From a practical standpoint, I think there will be a kind of parity (of course with PS5 running stuff at a higher resolution/framerate and with some additional effects). We can already see Square Enix preparing for that with their announcement that they are dropping hardware exclusivity from 2025.

It will be interesting to see how that plays out. I think it has possible benefits for Sony in that a rising tide raises all ships, but also represents a potential headwind. The Switch form factor is extraordinarily popular, and if the software is largely the same for both platforms except a handful of exclusives, I can see some buyers opting for the more flexible form factor and the Mario/Zelda line-up over a traditional TV-only setup and Horizon/Gran Turismo/Marvel games/etc.

I know some might argue that the PS5's superior horsepower would prove an attraction, but I think that's only to a minority (which is why the putative PS5 Pro will be irrelevant to the overall platform sales race).

Comment

Switch2 is going to take Japan uncontested once again as well, which is still a huge market all said.

Comment

Grand Theft Auto V has now hit 200m copies sold

Red Dead Redemption II has reached 64m copies sold

Borderlands 3 has hit 20m units sold

Comment

Elden King

Comment

Working...
              X