No announcement yet.

Why microtransactions, IAPs and LootBoxes are here to stay thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ultimately, with a company like Ubisoft right now, that's exactly what it's like. Which is exactly as it is now anyway except that, at least until they get rid of that box, you can lend or sell the key to somebody else.

Comment

Comment

Die horrendously nft’s and anyone connected to or pushes them.

Comment

Take a look at her tweet and find the flaw.

Edit: the replies get good too. Also this tweet is spreading like wildfire and the incorrect info in replies being quoted as hard fact and this is exactly the issue when people get their info on social media and don’t even take a moment to look at the source.
          Last edited by Dogg Thang; 20-12-2021, 21:29.

Comment

This is how it starts with NFTs. They're all being sold on the speculation of higher sales prices down-the-line. You just have to convince people "maaaaaaybe that's not going to happen?" and the entire pyramid will topple like so many playing cards.

And just like a house of cards, it'll be fast.

Comment

The New Year's Letter from Yosuke Matsuda, the President of Square-Enix is currently the worst thing I have read in 2022. In essence, it's a list of buzzwords that he's bought into - metaverse, NFTs, blockchain, extended reality, 5G, cloud (crucially not capital-c Cloud), blockchain games - and how at a high level he wants to bring them to the company.

In particular, I give you this choice morsel.

I realize that some people who “play to have fun” and who currently form the majority of players have voiced their reservations toward these new trends, and understandably so. However, I believe that there will be a certain number of people whose motivation is to “play to contribute,” by which I mean to help make the game more exciting.
              His air-quotes, not mine. Pass the bucket.

Comment

Duly barfed. I hope his "vision" fails spectacularly.

Comment

There is something insidious creeping in there with the idea that people should play games to earn stuff. I mean, it’s there already and we accept it in many forms (unlockables, many games essentially have economies), but for me that sort of thing is a dark path that we’re already on. I’m also seeing the term “play to earn” a lot and not enough people are asking where the money is coming from. Like “free to play” before it, for it to work what it means is that enough people pay to play.

Comment

Argh you’ll have to copy and paste due to swear filters. Worth a read though.
                    Last edited by Brad; 01-01-2022, 13:23.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                      Worth a read though.
                      Good share, thought this was fascinating. I was completely unaware of Axie Infinity before now, but seems like it's quite a way down the journey that some folks are looking to embark on. Particularly liked these two observations;

By blurring the line between “player” and “worker”, the game has effectively built a Ponzi scheme with built-in deniability. Sure, some users will be net gainers and other users will be net losers, but who am I to say the net losers aren’t in it for the joy of the game? The same could be said about online poker or sports betting, to be sure, but we would rightfully recoil if those were positioned as a way to lift people out of poverty.
                      Ultimately, in-game labour is just a re-branding of gameplay designed to be dull enough that rich players will pay to outsource it to poor players. In spite of being presented as the future of work by some venture capitalists, the incentives just don’t make sense. Floors don’t have to be swept in the metaverse unless they’re designed to need sweeping.
                      That said, it also makes me incredibly miserable about the future of my hobby. The more AAA developers lean into this kind of thing, the more I'm going to be reliant on indie developers and playing old games that I've not had time for before now. I've never really given that much thought to a future where I lose interest in new games, but this is a conversation that actually forces me to reckon with that.

Comment

I haven’t yet read the article but Axie was exactly what I was thinking of when I mentioned the “play to earn” thing above so it sounds like it’s identifying the same issues. A core issue for me is that it is being pitched as play to earn but the reality is that it requires way more people to pay than people can earn to be even remotely viable so the play to earn label has to be, for most people, a lie. Otherwise it doesn’t work - where does the money come from? Even if you did end up making some money, is that what you want gaming to be? For me personally, it’s precisely the wrong application of any of these concepts.

Comment

It’s a dystopian nightmare and we seem to be headed toward it at an alarming rate. The original article that the one I posted references is just as interesting; the premise that for many of us, the work we do has no real value. I’ve been working professionally for about 30 years and I reckon about half of that has gone into producing something that actually benefits someone. Unfortunately most of that only benefitted people to enable them to do their job better; a job that likely didn’t have any real value either. Happy new year everyone!

Comment

Konami has jumped on the NFT bandwagon, not with any kind of smart game integration or anything, just rather flogging some Castlevania art and music under the guise of celebrating its 35th anniversary.

Genuinely ruined my morning, this. It's been a long line of disappointments for Castlevania fans over the last years, but this one takes the biscuit for me. I want off this ride.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                              https://www.konami.com/games/memorial-nft/en/

Konami has jumped on the NFT bandwagon, not with any kind of smart game integration or anything, just rather flogging some Castlevania art and music under the guise of celebrating its 35th anniversary.

Genuinely ruined my morning, this. It's been a long line of disappointments for Castlevania fans over the last years, but this one takes the biscuit for me. I want off this ride.
                              Unfollowed Ice-T on Instagram a couple of days ago when he did this. Sick of seeing those 3 letters. Every day Black Mirror seems to become closer to reality.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                                https://www.konami.com/games/memorial-nft/en/

Of course Konami have jumped on it!

Comment

Working...
                                X