No announcement yet.

PSVR Owners Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah ok. Sounds like the helmet will be out two nights running!

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
      Ah ok. Sounds like the helmet will be out two nights running!
      Title of your sex tape.

Comment

With Dreams making it possible for anything you make to be VR and anything that's already made to be VR if you want it to be, is it a big stretch to make any 1st party title to be VR on the PS5? I mean sure it'll dip the performance, but so what. I'd happily play Spiderman in VR.

Comment

PSVR games in the current Summer Sale:

• Arizona Sunshine - £12.20 (63% off) / £8.90 Plus (73% off)
          • Arizona Sunshine — Deluxe Edition - £18.49 (50% off) / £14.79 Plus (60% off)
          • Ark Park - £22.49 (50% off)
          • Astro Bot Rescue Mission - £12.94 (63% off) / £11.19 Plus (68% off)

• Blood And Truth - £12.94 (63% off) / £11.19 Plus (68% off)
          • Borderlands 2 VR - £15.99 (60% off)
          • Bravo Team - £8.24 (67% off) / £6.99 Plus (72% off)

• Carnival Games VR - £3.99 (75% off)

• Déraciné - £8.24 (67% off) / £6.99 Plus (72% off)
          • Dirt Rally Plus PlayStation VR Bundle - £7.49 (70% off) / £6.24 Plus (75% off)
          • Dreams - £26.24 (25% off) / £24.49 Plus (30% off)

• Everybody's Golf VR - £8.24 (67% off) / £6.99 Plus (72% off)

• Farpoint - £7.99 (50% off) / £7.19 Plus (55% off)
          • Firewall Zero Hour - £10.74 (57% off) / £9.49 Plus (62% off)

• Gran Turismo Sport - £10.39 (35% off)
          • Gran Turismo Sport Spec II - £12.49 (50% off)

• Immortal Legacy: The Jade Cipher - £7.99 (50% off) / £7.19 Plus (55% off)

• Monster Of The Deep: Final Fantasy XV - £12.49 (50% off)
          • Moss - £12.49 (50% off)

• Rez Infinite - £12.49 (50% off)
          • Ski Jumping Pro VR - £7.19 (55% off) / £6.39 Plus (60% off)
          • Stifled - £3.99 (75% off) / £3.19 Plus (80% off)
          • Superhot Mind Is Software Bundle - £16.49 (50% off)
          • Superhot VR - £9.99 (50% off) / £8.99 Plus (55% off)

• Tekken 7 - £8.99 (78% off)
          • Tetris Effect - £17.49 (50% off)
          • Tilt Brush By Google - £11.99 (25% off)*
          • Track Lab - £6.39 (60% off) / £5.59 Plus (65% off)
          • Trover Saves The Universe - £16.24 (35% off)

• Wolfenstein: Cyberpilot - £5.99 (60% off)

* That's T I L T Brush

Comment

I had a pop at Dreams VR tonight and it's better then it has any right to be. I mean it's still down to the quality of the user creations, but the VR itself is as good as anything. No frame drops or weirdness, it all just works. Some cool stuff worth checking out.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
              With Dreams making it possible for anything you make to be VR and anything that's already made to be VR if you want it to be, is it a big stretch to make any 1st party title to be VR on the PS5? I mean sure it'll dip the performance, but so what. I'd happily play Spiderman in VR.
              Yeah - that'd be impossible.

VR games generally either (a) have to be designed for VR's performance characteristics from the ground-up, or (b) the game has to be overwhelmingly low-spec for the machine it's on. So for example, we're seeing VR conversions by fans of games like Quake and the original Half-Life, because modern hardware absolutely destroys those games (they were designed to run without any 3D acceleration, after all), but even if you step forward to stuff like Half-Life 2, on a powerful PC you can get it to work, but it isn't an optimal experience.

VR requires a high framerate, but also a consistent framerate. You don't notice it in most games if you're not one of the people who is very sensitive to frame drops or screen tearing, but in nearly all modern games, they chug slightly when you turn. VR games, really, can never do this or it causes severe seasickness in some individuals. This is also one of the reasons why games like Splatoon feel so smooth, because they're free of this kind of problem.

But even putting that aside, most games simply don't work in VR, and require a lot of massaging to get to work. A great example of this is Half-Life Alyx vs Half-Life 2, where if you play them, you come away with the perception that they are quite similar experiences, with similar high-level design; however Alyx required many additional features in order to make that work (the above examples of Quake etc. are still just homebrew, because while they're great fun for fans, they're not really functional enough to be a retail game).

You could ask the question "can't we just play while sitting down, using the controller, but with VR's perspective" but even that creates problems. Firstly you'd have to redesign the entire UI; though this is do-able with work. Secondly, though, it has to do with what is "hidden" from view:

Videogames hide a lot of stuff from you. Often, if you could take a game and extend the view by a few degrees in each direction, what you'd see would be a mess. This means that if you widen the user's perspective in Spiderman, you might see all sorts of weirdness.

Lastly, though, it has to do with motion sickness. Over the few years I've had VR, I've built up a pretty good tolerance for it, but I still got it a bit when moving around quickly in the VR Quake 2. I suspect Spiderman and many games will have the same problem.

Now, could Sony make a mod for the game which works in VR, that looks similar? Totally. They could definitely do that. The Batman VR experience on PS4 is basically that; it's made with cut-down Arkham assets. But making "normal" games work on VR is a bit of a no-go.

Comment

[MENTION=5941]Asura[/MENTION]

A wonderfully comprehensive reply, thanks.
                I figured there would be all kinds of technical reasons against, but I like to dream. Probably means Sony's VR solution next gen is the same as this one; a lovely but small side dish.

Comment

@Asura

A wonderfully comprehensive reply, thanks.
                  I figured there would be all kinds of technical reasons against, but I like to dream. Probably means Sony's VR solution next gen is the same as this one; a lovely but small side dish.
                  I should add one thing - on PSVR, you can play normal games. The headset just renders them as if they were on a huge screen, right in front of you, and games/movies which supported 3D also support 3D via this method. That being said, this isn't usually all that great, because even for avid users like me, VR is quite tiring on the eyes. I tried watching Pacific Rim in 3D and it was a bit of an ordeal after the first hour, despite being one of my favourite films.

Comment

It's nice that you can kind of half fake it as a useable non vr screen if you can't have access to your tv, i tried playing subnautica like that but quickly turned it off as due to the viewpoint it was a lot more immersive and as such amplified the scare factor quite a bit more than i was prepared for. I use mine quite a bit for playing 3D blueray films mainly animated stuff but it lets me experience what i missed in the cinema and in weirdly a nicer quality, yeah the resolution is a bit lower but the screen doesn't darken as you no longer have to wear those 3D sunglasses.

Discovered that summer funland got a euro release i have been wanting that for over a year, annoyingly the ps store has messed up as it doesn't appear in the vr section at all i went through the entire list of games so i never realised it came out ages ago yeah thanks sony. I could only find it by doing a direct search on the website version of the store. Out of all the games of it's type like pierhead arcade & carnival games it has a wonderful cozy feel in the park it's a short game but a fun one while it lasts £15 is a bit high but i'm glad i can finally try it out as the coaster looks great in it.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                      It's nice that you can kind of half fake it as a useable non vr screen if you can't have access to your tv, i tried playing subnautica like that but quickly turned it off as due to the viewpoint it was a lot more immersive and as such amplified the scare factor quite a bit more than i was prepared for. I use mine quite a bit for playing 3D blueray films mainly animated stuff but it lets me experience what i missed in the cinema and in weirdly a nicer quality, yeah the resolution is a bit lower but the screen doesn't darken as you no longer have to wear those 3D sunglasses.
                      This is why I struggled to play The Persistence and haven't gone near Resident Evil VII. Horror movies? Fine. Horror games? Fine. Horror in VR? Noooooooope.

Comment

Resi 7 is ace in VR. I **** myself alot. I had to whip the headset off a couple of times.
                        Someone has done a really good copy of P. T in Dreams and thats pretty good too.

Comment

I'm with Asura ... VR and horror can stay well away from each other.

Comment

Summer Funland looks lovely, [MENTION=39]importaku[/MENTION]!
                            Weird I can't add it to my wishlist on either the webpage or the app.
                            I'll definitely keep an eye out for when it drops.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                              Summer Funland looks lovely, [MENTION=39]importaku[/MENTION]!
                              Weird I can't add it to my wishlist on either the webpage or the app.
                              I'll definitely keep an eye out for when it drops.
                              Experience pure awesomeness without even leaving home Summer Funland means fun for everyone beginners, experienced players, children, adults, entire families Get ready to br• Scream your lungs out riding a rollercoaster.br• Joust on a unicornbr• Guide a beam of light out of a maze.br• Whack penguins with your trusty hammers.br• Explore oceanic depths.br• Blast into space and see our galaxy up close and personal.br• Race through the streets of Gotham at supersonic speed.br• Go hot-air ballooning.br• Shoot things up in a Wild West-themed shooting gallery.br• Climb at high tower.br• Throw fireballs.br• Catch cheeky squirrelsbr• Silence tornadoes with a magic wand while riding a crazy carouselbr• Play a multi-dimensional version of Arkanoid.br• Slice and dice vegetables like a samurai chef.br• Play the sweetest version of tennis.br• Find every mascot hiding in the park.br brTheres never a dull moment in Summer Funland. If youre rocking the VR headset, this game is an absolute must-havebrbr1 playerbr5GB minimum save sizebrHD Video Output 720p,1080i,1080pbrPlayStation®Move motion controller and PlayStation®Camera required.brPlayStation®VR and PlayStation®Camera is required to play this productbrbrDownload of this product is subject to the PlayStation Network Terms of Service and our Software Usage Terms plus any specific additional conditions applying to this product. If you do not wish to accept these terms, do not download this product. See Terms of Service for more important information.br One-time licence fee to download to multiple PS4 systems. Sign in to PlayStation Network is not required to use this on your primary PS4, but is required for use on other PS4 systems.brSee Health Warnings for important health information before using this product.br Library programs ©Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc. exclusively licensed to Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe. Software Usage Terms apply, See eu.playstation.comlegal for full usage rights.

heres a direct link to the webpage store link it makes me wonder how many other vr games are hidden because the store screwed up and hasn't put them in the right section unless you know exactly what it's called, really enjoying it so far. The coaster seems a bit slow but the overall feel of the park is wonderful it's more like a large interactive toy. At £15 it's a bit steep for the gaming you get back but unlike the review i will be visiting this many times as a huge appeal of VR for me is just been inside cozy worlds which is why i loved job & vacation simulator so much.

Comment

Resi 7 is ace in VR. I **** myself alot. I had to whip the headset off a couple of times.
                                Someone has done a really good copy of P. T in Dreams and thats pretty good too.
                                Hmmmm interesting, is dreams worth a try? i know it's more of a creation tool like LBP but is there a lot of user content to access? in fact does it require PS network sub to access said content? always on the lookout to expand my VR library. Spotted fruit ninja on amazon for £9 yeah it's fruit ninja and shallow as hell but for £9 i couldn't pass it up.

Comment

Working...
                                X