PSVR Owners Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asura View Post
    On the Rift/Quest, the cameras are infra-red (under an IR camera you can see the LEDs shining through the black plastic on the controllers), and I believe they oscillate with a high frequency which varies from LED to LED, so they can figure out the tracking. That's added to the acclerometers etc. in the controllers themselves.

The problem with the inside-out approach is that the controllers lose tracking if you lift them over your shoulder. This is why some of the SteamVR games, like Raw Data, have problems on Quest, because they ask you to reach over your shoulder to draw weapons, and while it works, it's glitchy and unreliable. Quest/Rift S games mainly resolve that by just not asking you to do that.

This is what I mean when I say that it's not perfect but very, very good. Generally good enough that I think the only people using the Vive-style tracking in the future will be, I dunno, people using VR to drive industrial robots, where they can NEVER, EVER lose tracking even for a moment.

But they do work fantastically well. With the headset on, you can toss a Quest/Rift controller in the air, and catch it. You can juggle with them. I spent ages trying to understand the extent of the tracking, and it's really quite amazing how consistent it is.

The PSVR's Move system shouldn't be underestimated. It's comparably low-tech, but it's, like, the ultimate implementation of what they had to work with. Those guys did an incredible job, and really deserve kudos for that. But technology has moved on, and it'd be great to see PSVR2 use newer tech.

Supposedly, leaked patent documents show Sony talking about headsets with inside out tracking, where one wide-field camera is on the rear headband of the headset. This would be great, as it would fix the aformentioned "over the shoulder" issue.
    I have both the psvr and a windows mixed reality, and the windows mixed reality control is so much better than PS move, it feels fluid and responsive and i loose tracking a lot less than i do the PlayStation Move. Their have been a few experiments done with inside out tracking On wmr, more cameras and better positioning on the headset has shown that you can really improve the experience but the most reliable one Ive seen is one fixed external Central camera that fills in the gaps that the headset mounted cameras cant.

Comment

So where is Minecraft PSVR update? *Crying

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
        So where is Minecraft PSVR update? *Crying
        How about now?

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
          How about now?
          Yes. Thanks for sorting it out.

I can confirm that it's Minecraft but in VR.

Comment

No probs, mate.

I had a right faff.
            Loaded, froze on loading.
            Killed it black screen after titles.
            Rebooted.
            Tried another VR game.
            Got a great score on pinball FX, slight distraction.
            Tried again, black screen.
            Deleted.
            Redownloaded.
            Worked!

I can also confirm it's Minecraft in 3D.

Love the bit at the start as you go into the telly!

Comment

Yeah that's a known problem. Every now and it again the game fails to boot past the red Mojang screen. Like you said, the fix is to delete and re-download.

Yeah going into the telly was cool.

Shouldnt we be in bed? Not together!

Comment

I was playing poker in RDR2 online.

I am very tired this morning.

Comment

Ha. Hope you weren't chasing loses.

I was playing Demon's Souls.

Comment

Actually, I was on a roll!
                    Chumps kept turning up and I kept taking their money.
                    I was about $15 up by the end, which is good money in RDR2 Online, but it's still a ridiculous thing to stay up for.
                    It doesn't help that you can see the in-game day/night cycle going on out the window.

Comment

I was playing poker in RDR2 online.

I am very tired this morning.
                      Digital cowboys playing late-night poker ... this is futuristic like a 60s sci-fi novel. Next stop, Westworld

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                        Digital cowboys playing late-night poker ... this is futuristic like a 60s sci-fi novel. Next stop, Westworld
                        That's interesting because I was talking to my friend whilst we playing this last night and mentioned how amazing it is and how having recently watched The Truman Show, it's so clever in the way it makes it feel so natural, with events happening that could be going on even if you weren't there.

I'm going off-topic, sorry.

I actually got a really good score on the Terrors of the Deep table in Pinball FX.
                        It's nuts how realistic it is.
                        Every so often, I'd flinch because the shark swam near my head!

Minecraft was really good too. The hovering HUD(son) is really well done. If you look at a block, it highlights it, to show what you're about to interact with. If you start chopping a tree trunk block and look away, it finishes off the block, rather than you waving your axe around, hitting everything.

Movement is done with slight increments, rather than a smooth turn, but whilst walking or running, you move more to where you're looking, but not a massive amount, so you could look to your right, but you won't veer off.

You know when you get a new phone and it copies the old phone?
                        It means you hit the ground running and it's very intuitive.
                        Downside is that it depletes that feeling of "new".

I must've been playing Minecraft for around a decade, so although I would say PSVR is the definitive way to play Minecraft, you're still playing Minecraft.

It is amazing, though, and I can't wait to look at other people's creations.

I mainly set it up last night so that I can show my son and, if I'm honest, seeing his reaction is what I'm looking forward to most.
                        Last edited by QualityChimp; 23-09-2020, 11:46.

Comment

I actually got a really good score on the Terrors of the Deep table in Pinball FX.
                          It's nuts how realistic it is.
                          Okay. I will be going in to try and crush your score. I made sure I came top of the Friends scoreboards last week when I got it and then switched it off feeling satisfied

Comment

Ha, don't get confused between a good score and a good score for me.

Comment

I'll have to spend some proper time with Pinball FX ... haven't fired up the VR for a while so it may be about time.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                                I'll have to spend some proper time with Pinball FX ... haven't fired up the VR for a while so it may be about time.
                                Some nice offers on too.

Last night, I bought Korix, a highly-rated tower defence game for £1.59!
                                I also bought Mini Motor Racing X for £8.99, which I mentioned earlier has a Mashed/Micro Machines/Pro-AM vibe.

Comment

Working...
                                X