No announcement yet.

PSVR Owners Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regarding moves the best way to determine if you need them is to go through the psvr library and make a list of every game you are interested in then check which need move controllers to play as some games it’s mandatory to use them like in beat sabre. In general they are worth getting if you plan on playing a lot of psvr games. Stupid how expensive they are Sony really screwed people over with supply, depending on the games you might be able to get away with using the DualShock.

Comment

Some great replies, thanks everyone :-) sounds like I’ll be on the lookout for one and some move controllers. Had no idea Astrobot was so highly regarded - I might not look it up now and go in not knowing what to expect.

RE7 in VR, the regular game has me jumping enough, I’m playing it at the moment - but would enjoy a second play through in VR mode I reckon.

Ta everyone :-)

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
        Regarding moves the best way to determine if you need them is to go through the psvr library and make a list of every game you are interested in then check which need move controllers to play as some games it’s mandatory to use them like in beat sabre. In general they are worth getting if you plan on playing a lot of psvr games. Stupid how expensive they are Sony really screwed people over with supply, depending on the games you might be able to get away with using the DualShock.
        Also, the other Move thing to know - there are two types of PSMove. They look almost identical.

There are Moves from the PS3 days, and then when the PSVR came out, Sony made a new batch.

People have said online that the new Moves are functionally better... I'm not sure about that personally. However, it's important to know that they have different charging ports. The older ones have the same as PS3 pads (those older mini-USBs which never really caught on), while the newer ones have newer micro-USB ports, like many other devices. The main thing is that you probably want both of them to be of the same type, so you don't need two chargers, which is a faff - but also, a really good investment for PSVR are those charging stands where you can hang the headset, 2 pads and the Moves, and you need to get a charging stand that matches the type of Move you possess.

It's a faff.

Comment

That’s a very good point also if anyone does go for moves there is no charging cable in the box, Sony assume you already have one bit cheeky to be honest as it would cost them pennies to supply one especially considering the moves cost. Micro usb of the newer models is common but mini usb isn’t that common to find cables laying about.

Ended up getting the official move charging stand off amazon for about a tenner back when I got my rig, keeps them out the way and ready for gaming. The price of psvr has come down a lot but it’s still a large chunk of cash when you start adding up the bits but you can piece it together depending on budget. The ear buds that come with it are great but the Sony headphones are a nice upgrade. The trickiest thing I found was mounting the camera as my room is totally wrong for vr, took ages to find a stand and rig a clamp that would work with the camera and was fully adjustable.
          Last edited by importaku; 16-10-2020, 08:17.

Comment

Thanks for the tip on move controllers, never knew that they revised them. I have some mini usb cables still, but micro would be handier.

Comment

Originally posted by mmmonkey View Post
              Some great replies, thanks everyone :-) sounds like I’ll be on the lookout for one and some move controllers. Had no idea Astrobot was so highly regarded - I might not look it up now and go in not knowing what to expect.

RE7 in VR, the regular game has me jumping enough, I’m playing it at the moment - but would enjoy a second play through in VR mode I reckon.

Ta everyone :-)
              No problem! I think you can tell we're not trying to overhype it, but be honest.
              Go in blind with Astro Bot. All I could think about was how it outMarios Mario.
              I did a Twitch stream when I played RE7, much to [MENTION=3822]fuse[/MENTION]'s delight.

Originally posted by Asura View Post
              Also, the other Move thing to know - there are two types of PSMove. They look almost identical.
              There are Moves from the PS3 days, and then when the PSVR came out, Sony made a new batch.

People have said online that the new Moves are functionally better...

it's important to know that they have different charging ports. The older ones have the same as PS3 pads (those older mini-USBs which never really caught on), while the newer ones have newer micro-USB ports

a really good investment for PSVR are those charging stands where you can hang the headset, 2 pads and the Moves, and you need to get a charging stand that matches the type of Move you possess.
              I didn't realise they're newer Move controllers, but I have a pair of older ones and have never had an issue.
              Just need to keep a pair of older USB cables around.

I would deffo get a pair of moves because you feel like a total badass in games like Superhot, shooting two bad guys at the same time, chucking the spent guns away and grabbing their dropped guns from the air as you duck under their bullets.

Originally posted by importaku View Post
              That’s a very good point also if anyone does go for moves there is no charging cable in the box, Sony assume you already have one bit cheeky to be honest as it would cost them pennies to supply one especially considering the moves cost. Micro usb of the newer models is common but mini usb isn’t that common to find cables laying about.

Ended up getting the official move charging stand off amazon for about a tenner back when I got my rig, keeps them out the way and ready for gaming. The price of psvr has come down a lot but it’s still a large chunk of cash when you start adding up the bits but you can piece it together depending on budget. The ear buds that come with it are great but the Sony headphones are a nice upgrade. The trickiest thing I found was mounting the camera as my room is totally wrong for vr, took ages to find a stand and rig a clamp that would work with the camera and was fully adjustable.
              Listen to Mr. [MENTION=39]importaku[/MENTION] he's found some great kit like lens protectors.

Similar to him, I bought a flexible tripod and grip kit and it works a treat.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                Dreams is now VR compatible too, although I've not played it that way yet.
                Dreams is £19.85 physical at Base:

Comment

There is a PSVR sale going on too so probably a good time for a new user to hoover up some games.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                    There is a PSVR sale going on too so probably a good time for a new user to hoover up some games.
                    Pretty sure that's ended now.

Comment

A bit of advice I'd give with sales though, and this applies to VR on all platforms - definitely take advantage when they happen. They're uncommon (or at least, uncommon where the discount is good), and as VR is still quite niche, developers need to charge a bit of a premium for all but the simplest of games.

So I guess this is a two-pronged bit of advice. Just bear in mind that VR games can cost more than you might at first expect, and then also, take advantage of sales when they happen.

Comment

Yeah, I have a bunch on my wishlist (for now), but it's worth considering if you plan on lending the kit to anyone or if any of your mates have a copy as you can't lend them digital games.

I'm lending my friend Astro Bot, but don't have any other physical games he can borrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                          So I guess this is a two-pronged bit of advice. Just bear in mind that VR games can cost more than you might at first expect, and then also, take advantage of sales when they happen.
                          Agreed. The vast majority of VR Titles are more experiences than games (Viveport is worth a look on PCVR for a month or two subscription, but this realy highlights the ratio of worthabuy to worthatry).

Beat Saber, however, is worth a purchase at its full price - it's a quintessential VR purchase on any VR platform.

Comment

I don't know if anyone has said this already but start lite. 20 mins in a gentle VR game and 20 mins off. Do that for about a week.
                            Don't do what I did and go straight to Wipeout.

Comment

Ha, yeah! Straight into Skyrim!

Ultrawings was my VR step too far too soon!

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                                I don't know if anyone has said this already but start lite. 20 mins in a gentle VR game and 20 mins off. Do that for about a week.
                                Don't do what I did and go straight to Wipeout.
                                This. 20 minutes in wipeout followed by 5 hours of nausea was my experience. Once you get your legs though it’s the second best vr experience available anywhere IMO. A must buy!

Comment

Working...
                                X