Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pistol Whip has updated with a 30 minute campaign added

Comment

My PS5 adapter turned up out of the blue today. Never had any notification of shipment from Sony. Now all I need is a PS5.

Comment

Comment

PS5 VR is happening! https://blog.playstation.com/2021/02...n/#sf243317607

Comment

Not wireless though 😐 real shame there.

Comment

That’s fantastic news! I’m actually really surprised, I was convinced it wouldn’t happen.

Really looking forward to that - after skipping the OG version, I’m in for this on day one I reckon.

Comment

I'm going to assume it's still wired due to an approach to cut costs on it as much as possible. Interesting about a new controller for it, though software will be the absolute decider on whether it can drag more life out of console based VR or not and I still just don't see Sony being likely to provide the level of support needed. It'll be very interesting to see where they land with it, especially as an upgrade option for the existing userbase. Presumably we're going to get a literal Astro Bot: Rescue Mission 2

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                  though software will be the absolute decider on whether it can drag more life out of console based VR or not
                  This will be a thing. Recent events have shown that the PSVR can get pretty much everything the Oculus Quest can, and probably more on PS5 if the succesor has a new approach to controls & tracking, but I don't think the games just looking better due to more powerful hardware will really grab users when the Quest is so convenient.

Even in the PSVR1's midlife, there were PC games which couldn't easily be done on mobile GPUs, stuff like Skyrim VR, which helped the PSVR distance itself. But Oculus has now declared that the Rift S has been discontinued and wraps up their PCVR line; they're only interested in the Quest going forwards, and whilst you can still connect a Quest to a PC, it's clearly no longer a priority for them (Oculus didn't get into VR to sell cut-price headsets so you could go spend money on Steam!). This is a concern because a lot of that bigger budget VR development off which the PSVR cribbed was either funded by Oculus, or funded because Oculus had the VR platform on PC (although those headsets work with SteamVR, the number of people with SteamVR native headsets is small).

Apart from Valve themselves, I think there are very few developers now that are making worthwhile content for VR that won't run on Quest. And that's a problem Sony will need to address with their own software.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                    Presumably we're going to get a literal Astro Bot: Rescue Mission 2
                    I was hoping for another VR game in the series, but I guess I'll settle for a Kindle port! :P

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                      And that's a problem Sony will need to address with their own software.
                      And that's why it's my big concern. Sony has done a lapse job of support outside of their consoles for a long time. The occasional gem might land like I know the studio behind Blood and Truth is aiming for another entry etc but VR is clearly not the direction MS and Nintendo see things headed and Sony has the benchmarking to know it can sell but as a niche of the general console audience so they can either shovel resources into its software support or one AAA that sells to 2-3x the audience numbers. This has been fine largely due to the PC market ports but as you point out that's a well that's showing signs of running dry as the notable projects grow less frequent and Oculus starts narrowing the field as well.

I wonder if PS5 VR titles will make PSVR2 a necessity or if Sony will continue to provide open support on those games for PSVR's as the risk they run is the audience size vanishes if they cut it off.

Comment

Blood and truth, Astro not and wipeout are all absolute top tier VR titles and they’re PlayStation exclusives. If Sony can bang out more of this quality with improved visuals then they have a good chance of keeping the vr momentum going. I miss some of the PlayStation titles since moving to pc vr. I love dcs of course and Alyx was brilliant but nothing else really looks that appealing

Comment

I think they need to do a hybrid approach.
                          They need top tier VR only games and they need existing games to have a VR mode added.
                          I don't see a problem with having a game like Control or Horizon being played in 3rd person with a VR headset, like Astrobot.
                          It would say to players 'Yeah you can play this game flat and that's fine, but you can put this headset on and you can actually be IN the game environment'
                          In fact, if they get FIFA playable in VR they they've hit mainstream.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                            I don't see a problem with having a game like Control or Horizon being played in 3rd person with a VR headset, like Astrobot.
                            It's really difficult to do if you didn't plan the game that way from the start.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                              It's really difficult to do if you didn't plan the game that way from the start.
                              I know, but if Sony want this to take off, they'll need to make this kind of thing easier to do.
                              I doubt we'll see anything like this, but I can hope.

Comment

Era's immediately jumping down the 'MS will announce a VR platform any minute now' line, um... nope.
                                Likewise with talk of Alyx being ported, I think it could come but the onus would be on Sony to push hard for it and front costs etc as I very much doubt Valve could care less about porting a game that was built on its strengths to sell Index units. If Valve were making it for the $$$ they would have just made Half-Life 3.

Comment

Working...
                                X