No announcement yet.

PSVR Owners Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dunno, I guess it's more like buying a 4K Blu-Ray player in the launch week with only two films available, Legally Blonde and Alvin & The Chipmunks 3: Chipwrecked, then just watching your previously owned discs on it. *shrug*

Comment

With expectations and brand loyalty these days, people would buy new consoles even if the only games were Altered Beast and Rise of the Robots.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
        The cynical side of me would suggest they will make it BC because in a whole year+ of PS5, you can still count the exclusives one hand, i.e. games that aren't remasters or available on other systems or previous consoles.

The chances of them releasing PSVR and only 2 games that work on it are pretty slim.

Such a weird generation of consoles where the biggest selling point is that you can still play your old games, not the new content being made.
        It's just the way things are now. It was the exact same last gen, except the consoles weren't BC that time. It wasn't until The Witcher 3 and Mortal Kombat X, a full 18 months on from the PS4/Bone launch, that we started receiving software that was exclusive to that gen (apart from the true classics available at launch like Killzone: Shadow Fall and Ryse of course).

Even then there was still cross-gen stuff. MGS 5 came out 2 years into the PS4/Bone gen, and it was on PS3 and 360 as well.

It sucks, I agree. But consoles are basically more appliance-like nowadays. Small, incremental upgrades. There aren't those big leaps forward we used to see so regularly in the past.
        Last edited by wakka; 06-01-2022, 14:10.

Comment

To be fair, I was quite happy with my 360 well into the PS4's life, probably 4 years, and even then my PS4 was an unexpected birthday present, so who know how long I would've stayed playing the 360 if I hadn't been so spoiled?! So my memory is probably a little skewed. By that point there were loads of PS4 games to play.

I don't really want to derail the thread, so I will say that although there's nothing to tempt me up the the current gen at the moment, a PSVR2 + PS5 combo pack might be the thing that does it!

Comment

Also, Trover Saves The Universe is currently at its cheapest ever price (with PS+), so I treated myself as it looks really funny.

Comment

To be fair, I was quite happy with my 360 well into the PS4's life, probably 4 years, and even then my PS4 was an unexpected birthday present, so who know how long I would've stayed playing the 360 if I hadn't been so spoiled?! So my memory is probably a little skewed. By that point there were loads of PS4 games to play.
              Yeah, it was a very different story at the start of the gen. I didn't bother buying a PS4 till Witcher 3 dropped, and even then a lot of stuff was still cross gen for a good while after. The benefits that PS4 offered vs PS3 on cross-gen games were less dramatic than PS4 vs PS5, too. This gen I went from 900p 30fps on my Xbox One S to 1440p/4K 60fps on my PS5.

I mean it's exactly the same content, don't get me wrong, this isn't a SNES -> N64 style leap, but the difference in presentation is there and it's decent.

So the PS5 is kind of both annoyingly boring but also a really worthwhile upgrade. Depending on your point of view.

But yes we have derailed the thread enough

Comment

It's more my frustration of wanting to be excited and get involved, but it's such an incremental upgrade, it's "annoyingly boring".

Seeing as this is only Sony's second PSVR, I would imagine there's going to be a bigger, noticeable advancement in the new version and that's the sparkle needed to stand out. *crosses fingers*

All this PSVR talk made me crack open the PSVR last night!

I played Trover, which I loved. Then I tried Gunclub VR, which is great, but I was getting tired and I find the tracking deteriorates after a while. I'll write more in the "what are you playing?" thread.

Comment

Oh man, Ultrawings is a killer!

Flying the microlite, whilst banking and looking around for the next marker, but you're actually sat still was probably the only time I've felt nauseous in VR.
                  I forgot to mention that on Ultrawings, I spent ages in the office, interacting with all the stuff on the desk.
                  Picking up the mug, throwing it from hand to hand, picking up the clipboard, seeing what I could throw around the room.

When I finished, I went to lean on the desk, but my elbows hit nothing as there was no desk in front of me in real life!

Comment

Ultrawings is the only one that still makes me want to puke. I can handle Wipeout at full tilt, but ultrawings...blugh

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp
                      It's more my frustration of wanting to be excited and get involved, but it's such an incremental upgrade, it's "annoyingly boring"

I do know exactly what you mean. It's all about resolutions, framerates, and storage speeds. Which, honestly, is boring. It's more like buying a new iPhone than anything else. Exact same thing but a bit slicker and a bit nicer all round.

That's one reason I'm looking forward to PSVR2 so much, (expert level segue back on topic) because a) I haven't owned a VR headset before so the whole thing is fairly new to me and also b) it's sounding like they're really chucking the kitchen sink into this one and the results are actually going to be really bloody impressive.

When I have used a PSVR before, it's very impressive, but it did feel very gen 1 (and also I didn't feel the Moves were great tbh). I'm so looking forward to seeing what they can do with the sequel.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                        [/I]I do know exactly what you mean. It's all about resolutions, framerates, and storage speeds. Which, honestly, is boring. It's more like buying a new iPhone than anything else. Exact same thing but a bit slicker and a bit nicer all round.
                        That's actually a really good analogy, where the further you go into revisions, the smaller the differences feel.

I read reports of people upgrading their iPhones and using the wizadry of copying your apps and setup from your previous phone.
                        Although the pain of setting up a new phone was gone, the obviousness of how similar your new phone is to your last phone was made more obvious.

Setting up your PS5 to play the PS4 remake of the PS3 game Last of Us...

Comment

I'm a bit bored of VR now. Although it was fun while it lasted.

I might jump back in once a few more killer apps hit that are worth the setup.

Comment

This sums up why when I finally could've bought a PS5 a week or two ago I ultimately didn't bother.

Comment

It is weird. In the PC world Last of us is recent enough that instead of PS3 PS4 and PS5 versions you'd just have the original game but be turning up the settings as you upgraded you GPU. Possibly downloading a texture pack.

Comment

That's actually a really good analogy, where the further you go into revisions, the smaller the differences feel.

I read reports of people upgrading their iPhones and using the wizadry of copying your apps and setup from your previous phone.
                                Although the pain of setting up a new phone was gone, the obviousness of how similar your new phone is to your last phone was made more obvious.

Yeah, you basically just plug in your iCloud login and it literally makes it into your previous phone, down to the app icon layout and the wallpaper. It's convenient (especially if you lost your last phone, like I did last time I had to buy a new one), and to be honest for a functional item like a phone I'm more than happy with that.

But games consoles are obviously toys, not boring productivity devices like phones. It's more fun when they're wacky. Which is why Nintendo are cool. And also why VR is cool (expertly back on topic​).

Comment

Working...
                                X