No announcement yet.

PSVR Owners Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too much technerd talk in here and not enough just play the damned thing because it's fun as **** talk.
    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

That's part of why I feel VR is just as limited though beyond a cost factor. You're still either bound to a controller or the Wii-Motesque motion controller options (which I found out don't work with PSVR if you use it on PC for some reason). So you're immediately hit by the same restrictions that impacted the Wiimotes. Then there's the space issues for anything that doesn't involve sitting down putting it straight into Kinect issues territory.

It's partly why I think releasing PSVR this gen was a mistake. 2m units sounds alright but really it's very poor. In a world where a single game selling 5m is considered a failure, 2m units can't be a figure Sony is happy with considering the resources and costs it likely took up to get to market making the idea that it would be a core concern with a new console launch feel like a huge over consideration. I struggle to think of instances where a new product is able to overcome blowing its initial landing impact in the way console VR now finds itself at where it's old news here onwards to another generation of gamers. I imagine as PS4 gets another year or so closer to talk building about moving to PS5 we'll see Sony begin to fall silent on PSVR in the same way they sadly did with Vita.

Oculus, Vive and PS made huge strides too and those who own one typically do give strong feedback about the experience so there's something there.

It'll certainly make the PS5 speculation tedious though. Unless Sony and MS are going to mandate support for nearly every title released on the systems and find a way of including it with every unit at an affordable price it will likely falter with this gen or pop up in a similar manner later in PS5's life. If Sony could justify continued dedicated support and development of titles for a £200+ hardware device that sells through likely a total of 3-4 million lifetime units and expect third parties to provide enough content we'd also be getting a Vita 2.

In the end I just feel they were all in such a rush to beat each other to market they launched too early and popped their cherries too quickly. When PSVR2 does hit I'm doubtful most will care just as Kinect's audience vanished with the generational shift because we know it'll be only a slice of that 2m that still use the device.

That's why I'm constantly sceptical about VR talk. It's less about the potential the hardware has, that was clear back playing the VR units in the 90's arcades, more the way it's been handled and that I've never felt the market it needs to survive and realise that potential has the thirst for it or will when they eventually get a reasonable price tag on it.

I've become increasingly sold on the idea of a PSVR splurge in the PS4's twilight years as the talk in this thread is pretty much always glowing and it seems like an experience well worth committing solid time to before the next gen swallows it up and many of these titles become lost to this one.

This post really got away from me but yep, it's best shot was probably arriving in a way where it could ride a hyped launch with a £150 all in price and replicate the success Kinect enjoyed even though that wasn't permanent. Achieving an audience more in the 15-20m would have made it much easier to build momentum whereas the way things are there's little evidence to convince developers to go out their way in future for it just as they fail to for Nintendo or Vita etc. It's what may ultimately mean that the advancements people hope for with VR never make it to living rooms as there's also always THE NEXT BIG THINGtm

It's why the discussion about transitioning back to standard TV based gameplay being jarring is an interesting angle as it emphasises the success VR has with immersion but also the cold turkey scenario that may be approaching those who feel that way and if it'll impact their interest in next-gen meaning VR ended up having a small legacy of being so successful at delivering its experience that it had a negative impact on attracting people to gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
        That sounds like something someone who's never experienced VR would say. Its not meant as a dig, just once you play VR, going back to a playing a game on a TV is never quite the same.

VR is the most amazing experience in gaming, but the Tech and interface quite isn't there yet. When consoles get so powerful they can handle VR in 4K and with a head that's as easy and light as putting on a pair Ski Googles, or those 3D specs one puts on in Universal Studios Florida is when it truly be massmarket imo.

Honestly playing REZ Aera X in VR, Resident Evil 7 in VR , Farpoint in VR are just incredible experiences, hell even the Shark Dive in PS Worlds is incredible. It's just that I have issues with the low Res display the set up of VR with the wires and the fuss of putting the headset on or off.
        To an extent that's true. My personal experience with recent VR versions comes from limited time on Rift Dev1 and 2 where it was interesting to experience but didn't wow me (a bit like anytime people praise HDR). PSVR would be my best route to spending extended time on VR which, now getting back the consoles is out the way, is why it's more of a thought for me. It definitely needs further iteration, resolution does seem to be a common nitpick that gets mentioned, it's just dependent on the market for VR not drying up before they can make a suitable lightweight affordable model.

Comment

I personally feel as though wireless will be the game-changer. The cabling is a huge drawback right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
            I personally feel as though wireless will be the game-changer. The cabling is a huge drawback right now.
            It isn't. You hardly notice the cable is even there.
            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
              That's part of why I feel VR is just as limited though beyond a cost factor. You're still either bound to a controller or the Wii-Motesque motion controller options (which I found out don't work with PSVR if you use it on PC for some reason). So you're immediately hit by the same restrictions that impacted the Wiimotes. Then there's the space issues for anything that doesn't involve sitting down putting it straight into Kinect issues territory.

It's partly why I think releasing PSVR this gen was a mistake. 2m units sounds alright but really it's very poor. In a world where a single game selling 5m is considered a failure, 2m units can't be a figure Sony is happy with considering the resources and costs it likely took up to get to market making the idea that it would be a core concern with a new console launch feel like a huge over consideration. I struggle to think of instances where a new product is able to overcome blowing its initial landing impact in the way console VR now finds itself at where it's old news here onwards to another generation of gamers. I imagine as PS4 gets another year or so closer to talk building about moving to PS5 we'll see Sony begin to fall silent on PSVR in the same way they sadly did with Vita.

Oculus, Vive and PS made huge strides too and those who own one typically do give strong feedback about the experience so there's something there.

It'll certainly make the PS5 speculation tedious though. Unless Sony and MS are going to mandate support for nearly every title released on the systems and find a way of including it with every unit at an affordable price it will likely falter with this gen or pop up in a similar manner later in PS5's life. If Sony could justify continued dedicated support and development of titles for a £200+ hardware device that sells through likely a total of 3-4 million lifetime units and expect third parties to provide enough content we'd also be getting a Vita 2.

In the end I just feel they were all in such a rush to beat each other to market they launched too early and popped their cherries too quickly. When PSVR2 does hit I'm doubtful most will care just as Kinect's audience vanished with the generational shift because we know it'll be only a slice of that 2m that still use the device.

That's why I'm constantly sceptical about VR talk. It's less about the potential the hardware has, that was clear back playing the VR units in the 90's arcades, more the way it's been handled and that I've never felt the market it needs to survive and realise that potential has the thirst for it or will when they eventually get a reasonable price tag on it.

I've become increasingly sold on the idea of a PSVR splurge in the PS4's twilight years as the talk in this thread is pretty much always glowing and it seems like an experience well worth committing solid time to before the next gen swallows it up and many of these titles become lost to this one.

This post really got away from me but yep, it's best shot was probably arriving in a way where it could ride a hyped launch with a £150 all in price and replicate the success Kinect enjoyed even though that wasn't permanent. Achieving an audience more in the 15-20m would have made it much easier to build momentum whereas the way things are there's little evidence to convince developers to go out their way in future for it just as they fail to for Nintendo or Vita etc. It's what may ultimately mean that the advancements people hope for with VR never make it to living rooms as there's also always THE NEXT BIG THINGtm

It's why the discussion about transitioning back to standard TV based gameplay being jarring is an interesting angle as it emphasises the success VR has with immersion but also the cold turkey scenario that may be approaching those who feel that way and if it'll impact their interest in next-gen meaning VR ended up having a small legacy of being so successful at delivering its experience that it had a negative impact on attracting people to gaming.
              I didn't manage to wade through your whole epic tale of business meetings, crystal balls and winning lottery numbers there, but what does PS Vita 2 have to do with anything? Who cares abut PS5?

Have you actually played PSVR? The thing is fantastic. It offers a completely new way to play video games that is very enjoyable indeed.

There's a very old saying indeed. It goes like this: Don't knock it 'til you've tried it.
              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Cost and supply! Who wants to get themselves addicted to something if the supply is going to get cut off

PSVR itself, no, not managed a go on it but from what I can gather it weighs in similar as DK2 (bar the OLED) which was interesting but didn't wow. That being said, I imagine that also comes down to the titles tried out on it. Found out my PSN account already has Rush of Blood tied to it, bonus!

Comment

Agreed, you can feel the weight of the leads pulling and its a pain in the ass to set up all those wires and the need for the Power Box. Theres are 1st steeps, over the next few years they'll be sorted out

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                    To an extent that's true. My personal experience with recent VR versions comes from limited time on Rift Dev1 and 2 where it was interesting to experience but didn't wow me (a bit like anytime people praise HDR). PSVR would be my best route to spending extended time on VR which, now getting back the consoles is out the way, is why it's more of a thought for me. It definitely needs further iteration, resolution does seem to be a common nitpick that gets mentioned, it's just dependent on the market for VR not drying up before they can make a suitable lightweight affordable model.
                    I don't get you over VR or HDR myself. HDR is a huge jump given the right game and TV and as for VR I'm sure if you played the likes of Rez VR (Area X stage) Resident Evil 7 or something like Farpoint you would think very differently of VR. Sure there are issues and the Tech isn't quite there yet, but the expericne more than makes up the shortcomings and tbh they already a nice number of amazing games for VR and I'm quite looking forward to Ace Combat 7 , Blood & Truth.

To me life is about living today, not tomorrow. I don't care if VR gets dropped next gen, the amazing experience I've had with Farpoint, Rez VR , Resident Evil 7, Rush of Blood more than makes the product a worthwhile buy

Comment

Once the headset goes on the cabling is a non-issue. Sure, wireless headsets would be better in case you have annoying children or pets or whatever, otherwise it's fine.

The set-up isn't even that messy, I was quite surprised.

Comment

Wipeout Omega
                        VR
                        Zone
                        Mach 1.1

Insane. Will have a go at getting past that tonight (was my first go).

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                          Wipeout Omega
                          VR
                          Zone
                          Mach 1.1

Insane. Will have a go at getting past that tonight (was my first go).
                          Mach 1.5 is my fastest. It's completely insanely bonkers.
                          Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                            Mach 1.5 is my fastest. It's completely insanely bonkers.
                            People talk about getting "in the zone" with games but this is where you actually do that. Felt like I was plugged directly in. I even managed a perfect lap at Mach 1 but at that speed 1 single mistake can be catastrophic as recovery is difficult to put it mildly. Let me know what circuits you do Daryl and I'll have a pop at them, see if I can provide some competition.

EDIT: I also tried Thumper last night. That was excellent; can see me spending more time on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                              Let me know what circuits you do Daryl and I'll have a pop at them, see if I can provide some competition.
                              I shall do that once I get back from my holiday Brad. Also, what I've found is that by picking a ship with a slow top speed and superior handling helps out loads towards the middle of the race to learn how to take the corners at higher speed. Once you get to about 800mph though, it becomes about pure skill, but you can use what you have learned earlier on. Mach 1+ is pure muscle memory for me.
                              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I don't think VR will replace TV or monitor based gaming, but I don't think it needs to. I don't think it's a case of it either takes over completely or it dies off. Gaming is big enough to support it in parallel with mainstream styles of play.

Comment

Working...
                                X