PSVR Owners Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+1 to the PSVR owners club.

Picked up a V1 with the camera yesterday and had just enough time with it to dabble on one or two things. I'm going to see how things go as to how long I keep it but I'm definitely going to try and get it running on the PC too. Picked up the V1 camera too as I could never find anything to suggest a real value in paying extra for the revised model.

It was easy enough to set up, took two minutes and in my gaming area doesn't get tangled up in anything. I'm space restricted but have little to no interest in room scale gameplay, that's the Kinect level VR I doubt will ever take off, so it was nice that the detection range seemed to work well even though I'm close to the camera and screen. The helmet itself pops into position surprisingly well and comfortably. I haven't had it pinch anywhere or leave daylight seeping in etc so the experience is very quick to get into.

When not in VR software I quite like the suspended cinema screen display they use. The low resolution is a little deflating but nowhere near to the extent that it's distracting enough to spoil the experience. Actual software wise, the first thing I tried out was Farpoint. I'm playing via controller so it took a little calibrating to play fine enough but it works well. Farpoint is, so far, the one time I've found my mind wander as to whether PS Move would add to the experience. You see things like overhead levers where you quickly act out what it'd be like to pull it with the motion and instantly sense how much more immersive that would be but so far it's been a sparse enough sensation that I haven't missed the absence of the Moves.

I'm guessing that everyone experiences The Moment - The thing that basically clicks in your head. Between earlier VR iterations, 3D cinema, 3DS and other forms over the decades the initial experience is just 'nice'. Then the view expands and it improves but it was in Farpoint when you're in the ship and I looked over my shoulder. You start in a cockpit, seated so (likely due to the visual fidelity) it gave a weird sense of place that completely sold the immersion.

On foot the game slips into more typical territory, beyond that though I tried the ocean depths demo in the shark cage. It's nice looking and is the first time I experienced the fabled screen door effect which is quite heavy on that. The missus hates gaming but she was suitably impressed by trying that demo out too. I've downloaded all sorts from the various PS Stores so a lot will be demo tryouts as I think most key titles are ones you can at least sample to see if they're worth it.

I don't think I'd play non-VR games with the headset, they're fine but the image drop is far too severe to warrant it. For the actual VR titles though, so far it works well enough to feel like it's a unique experience even if the positive impression doesn't overcome the other aspects that I already felt would be too big a hurdle for VR to be a big hit. I'm going to dabble with other demos but aim to focus mostly on Farpoint as an initial showcase.

Comment

Nice! Farpoint really wants you to use the Aim Controller. It's utterly incredible with that 1 to 1 mapping to the on-screen rifles. Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
        I tried the Heist demo the other night and all I could think of was when is Virtua Cop coming out for PSVR.
        Play Rush Of Blood. Not only is a lightgun fan dream of a game. Its also bloody scarily and makes great use of the VR tech and it's a rollercoaster ride of a game, from start to finish .

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
          Play Rush Of Blood. it's a rollercoaster ride of a game.
          Hur Hur!

Don't forget Resident Evil 7, the best VR game in existance for me. It's a shame they didn't have Move support for it though.

Comment

Supes decides to have another baby AND gets PSVR the same weekend.

...Coincidence?

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
              Hur Hur!

Don't forget Resident Evil 7, the best VR game in existance for me. It's a shame they didn't have Move support for it though.
              Yes, but I can only play RE 7 for about 6 mins at a time, before I pants myself and have to knock it off.

Comment

I've procrastinated over PSVR since the bundle offers started, and this being allegedly the last day I've reserved one while the price still stood for collection tomorrow. PlayStation worlds starter pack with wipeout and Farpoint, £216.

Oh, is the aim controller any good? And is it compatible with more titles than Farpoint?
                Last edited by Colin; 18-06-2018, 21:34.

Comment

Supposed to be compatible with that new one coming out. You know the one. It was at E3.

Comment

[MENTION=9865]Colin[/MENTION] - Aim Compatibility list (with titles I've played, and found to be good in bold)
                    Arizona Sunshine
                    Bravo Team
                    ChromaGun
                    Dick Wilde
                    DOOM: VFR
                    Farpoint
                    Rom: Extraction
                    Special Delivery
                    The Brookhaven Institute
                    Firewall Zero Hour

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by Brad; 19-06-2018, 07:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                      Dick Wilde
                      That sounds a bit dodgy for a VR game!
                      Last edited by QualityChimp; 19-06-2018, 10:20.

Comment

Biohazard 7 needs configuring to get the best VR experience. It defaults into non-sickness mode, which completely ruins it. Fast walking, smooth turning, smooth crouching, fast camera acceleration and no subtitles makes for a truly terrifying experience. Literally the most terrifying experience ever. You may not be able to play it for very long though if you're a VR noob.
                        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

As above. I switch off all the anti sickness stuff in everything; it doesn't take long to get your VR legs really. This game is absolutely terrifying though. I really have to be in the right frame of mind to even load it up and often I'll end up quitting without even playing it.

Comment

Well if Colin bought one, I must too! Just plumped for the Tesco deal at £180 with for the starter pack. I also picked up GT Sport for £15. Everywhere else seems to have put the price back up to £250 at least so had to go for it!

Comment

Don't bother with GT Sport dude, its VR offering is poor. Get Wipeout if you want to do VR racing.
                              Last edited by J0e Musashi; 19-06-2018, 09:29.
                              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Had an hour and a half long session on it again last night, came off probably just in time as my stomach started to feel a little off for a bit:

PSVR Helmet: It's still comfortable but prolonged use definitely makes it a little warm over time. In a way it's a good job the visual effect is so attention grabbing as the scuba mask view on every game could get a little irritating otherwise. A widened periphery range is a must for any future PSVR2. Same for the resolution, there's a couple of the demos where the low res spoils the experience a little. Games with bright, clean visuals shine the brightest with the display.

Rez Infinite: Visually very nice demo, head tracking works really well for targeting too. It didn't wow as much as other demo's but that's only because of how overly familiar I am with the standard game by this point.

Trackmania Turbo: Visually it works well, the game is bright and clean looking so looks good. Wasn't keen on the suspended camera view point though as it made the cars feel like they were on pivots. The sense of drops etc was good but the expense of how it felt to play wasn't worth it.

Moss: The biggest disappointment with this is simply how the screen resolution lets the imagery down as everything is too low res, that aside though the impression it gave was entirely positive. The viewpoint of sitting in little environments as the mouse runs around you works great and the game itself comes across as a good little platform puzzler so I'll be keen to try out the full version.

BattleZone: The demo was just a tutorial and the game itself seemed fine if pretty straightforward. The hats off though goes to the cockpit view, works so well and has that immediate impression on you that it's a bit of a showcase experience were it not for the next demo...

Eve: Valkyrie: Had no interest as I thought it was something more complicated than it is. Instead it comes across as one of the headsets best visual showcases. Free range enemy combat in space and played well, the sense of immersion and the context you're playing in brings everything together. Another for the full game treatment I feel. It was also note worthy for giving me an experience I would never have imagined I'd ever have... looking down to realise I have bewbs. The moment of realising they're animated a full body and that then it's one of a woman, so weird

Star Child: Interesting mostly for giving an impression of how a 2D VR based Metroid would appear but the game itself didn't sell itself to me based on the little there was to go on. Nice idea behind it though.

Drive Club VR: Actually makes the game much easier to play, seemed to be really well done.

Wipeout: Dare I say it? The cock pit view is good but I didn't enjoy the gameplay experience that much. Hard to say why but rather than immersive it just felt less fun to play over the standard view.
                                Last edited by Neon Ignition; 19-06-2018, 09:53.

Comment

Working...
                                X