No announcement yet.

Red Dead Redemption 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It sounds a lot like how I run my Skyrim. Relatively low in the game play stakes, but maybe too far ahead in terms of realism and immersion.

Can't wait to try the PC version. I know I've hated chores in games lately (GTAV, Witcher III - both dropped) but I have either a love/hate relationship with open worlds.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
      https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...emption-2s-hdr

Digital Foundry looks at the HDR support and it sounds like it might as well be turned off to avoid potentially over saturated scenes as there's no gain from it being on.

Edit - Boris, you kept that quiet
      haha yeah I've been holding it in.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
        It can be whatever experience it likes - but if that experience is at the expense of enjoyable gameplay I think that's a fail
        I'm enjoying all the gameplay elements though?

Comment

Congrats Made for a fascinating read too, though a little sad as I spent a chunk of my time messing with the setting to try and make it look a little better

Regarding the chore elements, I can understand Rockstar wanting to widen the gap between this and GTA but it reminds me of an interview I swear I read back during the PS2 GTA3 trilogy era where I seem to recall them mentioning they'd toyed with the cars having fuel levels and so you might jack a car to find it's low on fuel during a wanted level pursuit or would need to refuel if you were aiming to keep hold of a particular vehicle but they left the feature out as it might have been more realistic but it reduced the fun level. Curious to see the change in thought processes in some ways since then.

For those who are getting much, much further than I am with the game, do all these little things to notice make a key difference to the game? Considering it's been eight years since RDR, I'm wondering how much time Rockstar dedicate to programming stuff that players ultimately go 'huh' or 'nice' and then forget given the tales of crunch and 3,000+ staff members working on the game for so long. In other words, with the smaller details taken out or lessened, is there much sense that losing them but the game potentially coming out 2-3 years faster would make a difference?

Comment

Can I turn off the HDR on a One?

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
              I'm enjoying all the gameplay elements though?
              Good for you, glad you're enjoying it

I find all the unnecessary extended animations. Every. Single. Time. Long. Drawn. Out. And. Largely. Pointless, myself.

Tedium exemplified.

I think I'm just going to play through the story and be done with it as that's clearly very well done.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                Can I turn off the HDR on a One?
                It has to be done on system level, there’s usually no options in game.
                Hit guide, goto the cog, settings, display & sound, video output, video modes, HDR10 checkbox.
                If you do it you have to reboot game if your already playing for it to take effect.

Comment

...it reminds me of an interview I swear I read back during the PS2 GTA3 trilogy era where I seem to recall them mentioning they'd toyed with the cars having fuel levels and so you might jack a car to find it's low on fuel during a wanted level pursuit or would need to refuel if you were aiming to keep hold of a particular vehicle but they left the feature out as it might have been more realistic but it reduced the fun level.
                  Like The Dara O Briain routine about GTA:
                  "I got stuck on a bit where you had to steal a car and drive across the city and assassinate a guy in a train station. But he kept running away. So. And every time he did I had to steal another car, drive all the way back away but you couldn’t drive quickly ‘cause there’s a toll booth in the middle of the journey. You had to slow up at the toll booth and pay the guy or the police would chase you. Trust me, 6 or 7 attempts at this and you’re going “I’m commuting. I’m stuck in my pants in my front room on my day off. I’m in traffic. What kind of eejit am I?”

I'm wondering how much time Rockstar dedicate to programming stuff that players ultimately go 'huh' or 'nice' and then forget given the tales of crunch and 3,000+ staff members working on the game for so long. In other words, with the smaller details taken out or lessened, is there much sense that losing them but the game potentially coming out 2-3 years faster would make a difference?
                  It's like Duke Nukem Forever where the first level is incredibly detailed with working pinball machines and whatnot, then after that, it's a lot less interactive and it's clear where all the 3D Realms time went and when Gearbox took over!

I guess we should be grateful to all the GTA Online cretins for paying for RDR2 to exist!
                  Last edited by QualityChimp; 30-10-2018, 13:32.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                    I think that what's come out of all of this is that R* decided to make a Western Movie that the player takes part in, without ANY consideration as to how games are traditionally played. They decided not to have their hands tied by decisions of the past. The result is something very different to what we're used to and you may or may not get your head around it and even if you do get your head around it you might not like it because you came to play a game set in the wild west as opposed to what you're now actually being asked to do. I flit between being completely on-board with it and rejecting it. The stuff about enhancing and maintaining your camp, buying new saddles for your horse, picking flowers and making tonics, making food from animals you've hunted is all stuff they've put in because that's what games do and what people expect; it's not really part of their game and that shows when you realise that you don't have to do any of it.
                    Really good points. I am very much enjoying the game, but the grind elements are not all fun.... a western simulation is a bold design decison, but I need more game time to conclude if the extra detail and chores equate to a good game experience. But there is still a lot of classic Rockstar madness that has my core attention. I just hope (like zelda) I can choose a 70hour experience to conclusion, and not be forced to do all the grinding to complete the main story/side missions. Even hunting and taking back a deer miles is a problem when the meat goes off!

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                      haha yeah I've been holding it in.
                      Congrats! That is super cool, and a really interesting read.

Comment

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...emption-2s-hdr

Digital Foundry looks at the HDR support and it sounds like it might as well be turned off to avoid potentially over saturated scenes as there's no gain from it being on.

Edit - Boris, you kept that quiet
                        I found this from day one.It just didn’t look right on my Oled.I paused the game and went into settings and disabled hdr 10.Thats when I could see something was up.Hope they patch it.Glad DF found this as I thought it was me.

Comment

Switched hdr off this evening. Way better. It now looks like I’ve removed a sheet of tracing paper from the screen. I’d assumed the washed out look was a design choice but it’s actually completely broken.

Comment

I didn't think the orig was that great.

And this is like eight years on and the only thing that's tempting is forests that look better, it really doesn't look like an 8yr step on.

I will wait and get it for a tenner about a year from now (and appreciate the forests).

Comment

Which 10/10 review made you think that?

Comment

I got a C8 from LG delivered yesterday, and was very glad to have read EB’s post, as the picture does indeed look a bit white/over exposed with HDR and daytime. Hope they can fix it. On the other hand it looks incredible at night time, regardless of HDR setting.

Yesterday the game really peed me off.

- Asked to do a horse race
                                - Winning race along narrow path
                                - Smash into NPC on blind corner, killing said NPC and their horse
                                - Fly off a cliff, killing my own horse
                                - Lose race, revive horse
                                - Get a wanted rating
                                - Trapped on cliff, horse is killed
                                - End up with 170us wanted rating defending myself from deputies
                                - Horse is killed again, cant revive
                                - Get a second horse, losing all the stats
                                - Move on to mission
                                - New horse doesnt have stamina to complete mission

Now have to find/buy a horse and spend hours building stats again

Arrrrrrrgh!

Comment

Working...
                                X