No announcement yet.

BPX024: Time to Say Goodbye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guess have a nice friendly debate with you is out or the question, like when it comes to anything Nintendo.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
      If you can't understand why the Switch is the fastest selling console ever, then you're truly lost.
      Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
      Depends on the region, because its far from the fastest selling console ever on many scores.
      Last Month Nintendo announced it had beaten it's own decade old sales record in the US, and appears to have set records in France, Italy, Spain and Japan. In the UK the machine is selling well but not at the pace of the other European countries as the machine hasn't quite sold as well as the Wii, PS4 or DS so far.

I can't see any major industry sites comparing global units at this stage, and most appear to be just lazily repeating PR statements, although some are getting it: Nintendo is on pace to become the best selling console of all time. Overall given the numbers we know it's very likely a correct statement to say the machine is the fastest selling console ever. And could continue to be so if Nintendo meet it's projections.

Personally I would compare Nintendo's first and second party studio output across it's machines to that of Sony, rather than Microsoft. I do think it's a valid criticism that Microsoft hasn't output enough exclusive and unique games on the Xbox recently. 2017 was very low on Microsoft first party exclusives. From the looks of things 2018 will see more games.

Comment

Originally posted by Mgear View Post
        Last Month Nintendo announced it had beaten it's [URL="https://www.ft.com/content/b70f2e7e-f0f8-11e7-b220-857e26d1aca4"]own decade old sales record in the US[
        Nintendos , last time I checked PS2 was the best selling console of all time . Did the Switch sell a million units on its launch like the PS2 in Japan ?

Personally I would compare Nintendo's first and second party studio output across it's machines to that of Sony, rather than Microsoft.
        Is that because Nintendo are no better than MS and miles off SONY In-House output dept of the number of titles ?

Comment

Nintendos , last time I checked PS2 was the best selling console of all time . Did the Switch sell a million units on its launch like the PS2 in Japan ?
          You didn't read my links did you?

Remember, no one mentioned the best selling console of all-time, merely a claim that the Switch was the fastest selling console of all time. I was intrigued by this and given the numbers this fact seems true.

What Nintendo have claimed and successfully, given the coverage, is that they are on course to break the first-year record in Japan where the Switch will have sold c.250,000 more units than the PS2. Day one sales, or the first to reach one million units sold may still be records held by the PS2 in Japan (although I'm struggling to find figures to show either way). However it's clear demand is very high even over the course of the first year.

Is that because Nintendo are no better than MS and miles off SONY In-House output dept of the number of titles ?
          I think there is no comparison between Sony/Nintendo and Microsoft in terms of quality and quantity of first/second party content atm. [MENTION=1482]dataDave[/MENTION] gave some very good examples and in addition to this Nintendo are innovating at a level I'm not sure other developers/publishers are. Something like Labo is a good example of this.

I don't think any of these criticism are new. Nintendo winning critical acclaim for their 2017 line-up of games is reason alone to see that there aren't just doing iterative 'Mario Platformer 2017' akin to FIFA or Madden. Indeed you only need to look at the Microsoft history of first/second party to realise that exclusive games have been on the decline yearly since they started this generation: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/micro...post-240253740. Most worryingly unlike Sony or Nintendo they had no new exclusive IP in 2017. That will change and I think they know that needed to change.
          Last edited by Digfox; 14-02-2018, 16:48.

Comment

You didn't read my links did you?

I was intrigued by this and given the numbers this fact seems true].
            Hence, why I said it depends on the 'region' . Now really is the the SWITCH better selling than the PS2 ?

I think there is no comparison between Sony/Nintendo and Microsoft in terms of quality and quantity of first/second party content atm
            Quality is subjective, in terms of In-House support is there that much diff between MS and NCL. Its not even like Zelda was a new game, but instead a Wii U port. Quailty of the software is a different matter

Comment

Hence, why I said it depends on the 'region' . Now really is the the SWITCH better selling than the PS2 ?
              YES! The Switch has sold more than the PS2 had at this same point in its lifetime. It's breaking sales records in the US (probably NA as well), Europe and Japan (again probably ASIA). The facts for the markets we have suggest it's doing very well or breaking records in all regions.

Quality is subjective, in terms of In-House support is there that much diff between MS and NCL. Its not even like Zelda was a new game, but instead a Wii U port. Quailty of the software is a different matter
              If Nintendo is sweeping up highly regarded 2017 awards for it's output. That tends to mean something imo. I'd put more on that as a measure of quality than some random on the internet *. Microsoft isn't winning many awards or acclaim for what it produced in 2017. You can see on Reddit or Era that even the most vociferous Microsoft fans or hardcore Xbox customers want Microsoft to increase it's unique, exclusive output. Not just the quantity but in quality as well.

* not meaning you btw
              Last edited by Digfox; 14-02-2018, 17:04.

Comment

YES! The Switch has sold more than the PS2 had at this same point in its lifetime.
                I don't think that is the case in Japan or the UK.

If Nintendo is sweeping up highly regarded 2017 awards for it's output.
                Now, that's subjective. I mean GTV is the best selling 3rd party of game of all time and one of the best-reviewed games of all time. Does that mean any Nintnedo system is a lesser system because its not got GTA 5

Comment

Its not even like Zelda was a new game, but instead a Wii U port.
                  They released on the same day...

Comment

I don't think that is the case in Japan or the UK.
                    In Japan it is, as proven earlier.

In the UK, the Switch hasn't sold as well as other European countries. But in Europe as a whole the Switch is selling better at this point in it's lifetime. The UK is a outlier as noted by GI.biz themselves; 'It's the fastest-selling games console in almost every market it's been released in, but not Britain'

Now, that's subjective. I mean GTV is the best selling 3rd party of game of all time and one of the best-reviewed games of all time. Does that mean any Nintnedo system is a lesser system because its not got GTA 5
                    I'm not sure how this is really relevant, given we are discussing first and second party exclusive output.

Comment

Quality is subjective, in terms of In-House support is there that much diff between MS and NCL. Its not even like Zelda was a new game, but instead a Wii U port. Quailty of the software is a different
                      If I release 500 Pong clones for my WakkaStation 4, does that mean I'm supporting my console better than Nintendo with one measly Zelda game?

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                        If I release 500 Pong clones for my WakkaStation 4, does that mean I'm supporting my console better than Nintendo with one measly Zelda game?
                        Not if they're WakkaStation 3 ports.

Comment

I'd say we're definitely in a decisive area for Microsoft where, with XBX now out in the wild and no hardware reveals on the cards this year, if they rock up at E3 and show off indie games, Crackdown 3, a Halo 6 teaser and Forza Horizon 4 alarm bells will start to ring in many ears.

Comment

In Japan it is, as proven earlier.

In the UK, the Switch hasn't sold as well as other European countries. But in Europe as a whole the Switch is selling better at this point in it's lifetime. The UK is a outlier as noted by GI.biz themselves; 'It's the fastest-selling games console in almost every market it's been released in, but not Britain'

I'm not sure how this is really relevant, given we are discussing first and second party exclusive output.
                            Fastest selling console out current consoles or in the entire history of consoles?. Quality of software is subjective, but in terms of In House titles there's not much in it for NCL Or MS and both are also guilty of endless squeals bar the 1 or 2 new IP per gen. Sony has always been better than both in that reguard

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                              They released on the same day...
                              We all know it's a Wii U game at the end of day. I'll not like to count Gears Of War remake in MS numbers and TBH Gears Of War 3 has had more of upgrade to the One X to what Zelda did on the Switch. Now if you want a fair and open debate, there really isn't much in it between MS and NCL in terms of New IP or games developed by their In House teams. Quality of the software is a little different mind I can accept you liking NCL software more

Comment

Fastest selling console out current consoles or in the entire history of consoles?.
                                Read the links! It's the fastest selling console of all time at this point in its lifetime.

Quality of software is subjective, but in terms of In House titles there's not much in it for NCL Or MS and both are also guilty of endless squeals bar the 1 or 2 new IP per gen. Sony has always been better than both in that reguard
                                I think you're getting hung-up on the endless sequels or established IP thing. Nintendo has established IP (such as Zelda, Mario etc.) but is isn't merely releasing iterative releases every year in the manner of say a Forza or FIFA game every Winter. Nintendo (and Sony on their platforms) put out a number of exclusive, critically acclaimed, successful new games on Switch and 3DS last year. It didn't just rely on it's established IP. Games like Mario Odyssey and Zelda:BOTW are different, evolutionary or new that I don't think you can consider them in the same vein as a yearly COD or FIFA, for example. Even as someone who has barely played it, it's obvious it's very different and innovative from previous Zelda games like Twilight Princess. It's a stand-out, classic from the moment you start playing.

Nintendo are definitely guilty of the odd shovelware (like all platform holders often are) as well, but I don't think you can make this criticism of the above two aforementioned games. For you it's subjective, but it you were to suggest Microsoft are releasing quantity and quality of games at the same tier as Sony or Nintendo on other forums you'd be laughed out of the place. For me you're arguing against facts and not opinions.

We all know it's a Wii U game at the end of day.
                                Why does it matter that it's a cross-gen game? Ultimately you can only play it on a Nintendo machine (at least legally). Zelda:BOTW is a game that will be considered one of the greatest of all-time and discussed even in twenty or thirty years. None of MS's recent content comes close.
                                Last edited by Digfox; 15-02-2018, 17:57.

Comment

Working...
                                X