No announcement yet.

Xbox One: Thread 06 - Discontinued Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What sort of ads are they? Are they just ads for new games now? Because the day I got my one x I was shown a one direction ad and it basically made me hate the console I’d just bought

Comment

They def show non Microsoft stuff. I’ve seen McDonalds on there. To be honest that’s a piss take. They’ve done it for years, 360 was terrible for it.

Comment

The 360 started with the best UI they've done. Then the progressively made it worse. I don't know why they keep tinkering.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
          Is the Xbox range still strangled by that awful front end, or have they ditched advertising etc?
          Same as ever. One sponsored tile out of maybe 8

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
            The 360 started with the best UI they've done. Then the progressively made it worse. I don't know why they keep tinkering.
            Can you imagine how cool the blades would be in 2020? Cause I sure as hell can’t.

Comment

Yeah the blades are insanely overrated. Great at the time, extremely dated today.

Comment

A modern blades menu would probably be a simple series of tabs in different shades of dark grey on the right hand side of the screen named by category. The Games blade would simply list your games, the Settings tab the options and then all the other blades could be rightly ignored.

Comment

The blades system was ok but I actually prefer what they have now...

Some sections could definitely do with some refinement but you can organise things yourself to make it better. On the front page I have groups for my media apps first (netflix etc...) and a games section of the main 5-6 games I'm currently playing and... that's it.

Then under games & apps I have the games section in the alphabetical order as I've got so many stored on the external hdd it's the easiest way to jump around. Using that filter view if you hit a section header it opens a quick A-Z grid to jump sections so you don't have to scroll everywhere. I find that's the best option.

I also like that recently they've updated the game icons to display if they're from gold, game pass or whether you own then outright.

Comment

I think it's fine once you get used to it. The first time I used it I was confused were the hell I needed to go just to play a game. Its certainly not as simple as the blades or the ps4 UI.

Comment

It's a UI where the consistent theme is that it's confusing and awkward but people get used to it after reworking it to their preference... which sounds like the definition of a failed UI design. You're basically making it useable by doing MS's job for them. It should be clean, efficient and likeable out the box.

Comment

I'm in the preview dashboard and they keep making things worse , then better, then worse again. I really hope their is some AI making sense of how long it takes to get to the most used functions or something and the final optimisation will be based upon that.

The Xbox Game Pass app got updated to be the same as the Xbox App on PC , the Family safety app and the codename "mercury" new store app for the next gen consoles.
                        You can see how the new OS is going to look based upon those.
                        I think the speed of the new machine will solve many of the remaining issues people have with it.

Comment

It's slow, but so is the ps4 UI; That's gradually got slower after updates. The ps4 takes an age to boot from cold.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                            It's slow, but so is the ps4 UI; That's gradually got slower after updates. The ps4 takes an age to boot from cold.
                            Have you tried rebuilding your database on ps4? Never had any slowdown or un responsiveness on the ps4 dash to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                              Have you tried rebuilding your database on ps4? Never had any slowdown or un responsiveness on the ps4 dash to be honest.
                              Same can be said of clearing the cache and doing a hard reset on the Xbox. Tends to spruce things up a little.

I see MS have removed the Live/Gold 6 and 12 month subscription options making everyone speculate on what's going on. I find it slightly ridiculous that some are thinking this means they'll move online play behind game pass as another paywall.

I don't think they'd be that stupid to do something so negative when it's services like this where they're clearly ahead. More than likely I think we will see a simplification of the subscriptions overall. I think we're about to see basic online play become free on console as it is on PC and Gold being phased out and replaced with just Game Pass.

No doubt the free monthly games deal will be part of the basic game pass and ultimate will remain the all you can eat option with xCloud.

Comment

I think Microsoft are going to switch to GamePass Ultimate ONLY.

No more Live / GamePass separately. You pay one price and get everything including the xCloud update. I can see the price increasing too as well as Games With Gold stopping. Why give away free games when you're already running a subscription service? It's like Netflix saying "you can stream all this but we're also going to give you a couple of films to keep every month".

Comment

Working...
                                X