No announcement yet.

Xbox One: Thread 06 - Discontinued Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah the One S and One X pads are the same. Both third gen.

Comment

I noticed someone on my friends list playing Battle Garegga the other night. I had no idea it came out on xbox. I searched the store but it says it's currently unavailable. Did it come out in the UK?

Comment

Won't really come as news to anyone but never the less Microsoft has confirmed that the Xbox One's production was quietly ended late 2020 bringing that era to an end

Comment

I know that will be disappointing to many but with the Series S being so damn cheap I don't think it's really that big of a deal, particularly when it still plays all of the previous generations games the same as the discontinued models.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
            I know that will be disappointing to many but with the Series S being so damn cheap I don't think it's really that big of a deal, particularly when it still plays all of the previous generations games the same as the discontinued models.
            ... Except if you have them all on disk...

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
              ... Except if you have them all on disk...
              That's where Series X comes in. I think given the general chip shortages this is just smart business to be fair.

They can concentrate on the two remaining machines and keeping supply strong. And yeah only one has a disc drive but that's a small negative.

I'm finding it quite interesting that Sony is going the other way, with maintaing PS4 production because of impact on PS5 production. That doesn't make as much sense to me but it is what it is.

Comment

Since they have the Series S, this makes complete sense. It only confuses the line-up to continue to offer the One S. For people who might feel £250 is too much to pay for a console, there are plenty of options in the shape of a Switch Lite or one of the many millions of second hand Bones and PS4s floating around.

Interesting how long a tail Sony manages on their machines, though. They're actually stepping up PS4 production this year, I think they have said they will produce a million machines in 2022. They obviously feel there is still a market. But then, their cheapest current gen offering is £350.

Comment

I always thought the boxyness of that OG Xbone was cool, you'd see these complaints how it looked like a VCR, in what way is that a bad thing, now you have consoles like the PS5 that look like an Arab sky scraper.

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                    That's where Series X comes in. I think given the general chip shortages this is just smart business to be fair.

They can concentrate on the two remaining machines and keeping supply strong. And yeah only one has a disc drive but that's a small negative.

I'm finding it quite interesting that Sony is going the other way, with maintaing PS4 production because of impact on PS5 production. That doesn't make as much sense to me but it is what it is.
                    Ramping up PS4 production makes sense to me.
                    If you can't get a ps5, you can still buy a PS4 or Pro and it gets more people in to the Sony world.
                    If you can't get a SeriesX, you can buy a SeriesS (maybe), but MS have locked anyone out of buying a previous gen, thus limiting people coming to GP.

Comment

If you can't get a ps5, you can still buy a PS4 or Pro and it gets more people in to the Sony world.
                      If you can't get a SeriesX, you can buy a SeriesS (maybe), but MS have locked anyone out of buying a previous gen, thus limiting people coming to GP.
                      Not sure what you're trying to get at there.

Ramping up PS4 production makes sense as a low cost alternative to PS5, but only because Sony don't have a low cost current gen alternative that they can produce in large numbers. MS do - the S. So there is no need for them to bother continuing to manufacture a last gen product.

Either way the upshot is exactly the same. A low cost entry point to the ecosystem.

Comment

Not seeing how that is limiting people coming to game pass? You can use game pass without a console and every console has access to game pass. If anything, with a high % of this year's exclusives being Series this gen only MS is actually directing potential buyers to the best options.

The price difference between a One S/X or a Series S isn't that vast... disc drive or not.

Plus it's not like there's not a huge second hand market to support anyone who doesn't want a current generation machine.

As for Sony, I'm sure they'd love to not need to rely too heavily on PS4 going forwards. After all they believe in generations (secondary to profit, obviously). It does make some sense in the short term just when the some of its main releases this year are cross gen, but from a logistics position it's going to add complication.

I guess it comes down to both companies now strategising that consumers might not want to upgrade or want a lower cost option. In the MS camp that's what they designed Series S for, and with Sony that means leveraging their last gen user base and appeal.

It's almost like a swap around from launch perceptions.

Comment

The SeriesS is not in anyway as abundant on the shelves as the One was. You can't walk into Tesco and be 100% guaranteed to get one. If are not 100% guaranteed to get one, nor able to buy a previous gen console (new), then it by rights limits people ability to play an Xbox.
                          You can however buy (100%) a PS4.

Comment

Well I've just done a search of Amazon, Argos, and GAME (because I'm sad like that), and there are zero PS4s anywhere but Amazon and GAME both have Series S machines in stock. So I dunno if that's right.

Gaming hardware has been hard to come by for a couple of years now. But generally speaking Series S has been relatively easy to get hold of, maybe the easiest of any machine.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                              Well I've just done a search of Amazon, Argos, and GAME (because I'm sad like that), and there are zero PS4s anywhere but Amazon and GAME both have Series S machines in stock. So I dunno if that's right.

Gaming hardware has been hard to come by for a couple of years now. But generally speaking Series S has been relatively easy to get hold of, maybe the easiest of any machine.
                              Probably because no one want’s One? Pun fully intended, i’m just glad i beat QC to the punch on that One.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                                That's certainly the case here. MediaMarkt has pallets of Series S boxes on their shop floor, and absolutely nothing of anything else, not even the regular Switch (online only). Oh, actually they had some Lites the last time I was in.

Comment

Working...
                                X