No announcement yet.

Playstation 4: Thread 06 - Discontinued Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If PS5 does happen next year it will pretty much confirm that Sony are moving with a Pro timeline, could look like this

PS4 November 2013
    PS4 pro Novmber 2016
    PS5 November 2019
    PS5 pro Noember 2022

To be honest it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if it did launch 2019, Sony are WAYYY out in the lead and probably want to retain that. If they will launch PS5 with PS4 backward compatibility, a brand new PSN and the best place to play they can keep in front of MS and stop MS from gaining traction from a new generation.

Possible launch/post lunch titles could look like Death Stranding, Last of Us Part 2, Dreams and Ghost of Tsushima pretty big titles that would shift consoles if they were 4k/60fps/HDR etc.
    Last edited by Family Fry; 10-10-2018, 09:31.

Comment

All this PS5 talk makes me sad because I only just got my PS4, but I've been happily using my PS3 for the past seven years, and that came out in 2006!

Comment

If PS5 hit late next year I'd expect any sales to rest mostly on good will from the current system. The X/Pro are so recent that the gains are far too minimal over what the available systems are running that the sales pitch is going to be the worst one in history. Especially for MS who have to justify the Xbox 4 a mere 18 months after the XBX, both running Forza 8 at 4K and likely 60fps. They could ramp up textures etc to force the older version to perform visibly worse but it's just a minefield.

It still feels like a Mar/Apr 2020 reveal ahead of a Nov 2020 launch is the likeliest option and this listing was just Activision being typically hyperbolic about the game itself rather than the host hardware to try and attract applicants.

Comment

I'd like Sony to double down on VR and make the PS5 basically designed for VR.

Comment

That would be mental though considering only about 2% of owners bought the headset. That would be a Kinect Bone level disaster if they did it.

Unfortunately PS5 will be much duller and more iterative I think!

Def don't see 2019, 2020 for sure. I have to say I really wonder how much more powerful these machines will be considering Microsoft are currently flogging a £400 Xbox. Will Xbox 4 offer that much of a leap over it?

Comment

Wouldn’t it be good if Sony or MS grew a pair and went for a novel architecture in their next gen systems? Maybe go all in on ray tracing or even better path tracing. The clean hardware break of a new console generation is probably the best time to introduce something radical. given the position Sony is in at present I cannot see developers deserting them over radical changes to the production pipeline.

Comment

RTX cards suggest, no they won't. The visual gains are so small now and even then hitting 4K/60fps consistently is still be measured on games designed for 2013 era consoles. They will ramp up the design requirements but the performance hit will suck the framerate right back down to 30fps for a start. The main reason eventual XB4 games made years from now will look much superior to XBX will mostly be down to there being no games made using XBX as the target console. The time gap between the mid-gen refreshes and the new systems if they arrive when rumoured is too small for any meaningful gain and to be honest mean going forward mid-gen refreshes are a pretty bad investment if they cost so much and are replaced so quickly, not much point if their lives are counted in months and the gen isn't extended at all.

Honestly, both Sony and MS releasing 'S' models of PS4 and XBO would be a better 2019 move than next gen arriving.

Comment

Better of with just incremental updates going forward now days and taking a more pc like approach to game libraries. Ie keeping them all working on the same box, even if that box is changing slightly quickly, rather than the old jump to totally new hardware.

Everything is basically a pc hardware wise anyway.

Comment

Personally, a new system has to offer something more then an improvement in Graphics and frame rate now. It needs to be able to offer games and experiences that you can't get on the current generation. Maybe that means VR or something else.

Comment

I'd be curious how well Sony and MS have found them to be, incremental regular hardware launches mean regular high R&D, marketing etc costs to launch them and the demand hasn't been stellar enough to suggest there's that much clamour outside internet tech obsessives

Comment

I'm in no hurry for a new system. It took years for the PS4 library to become decent (opinion will vary on this, of course, but I was disappointed with PS4 games for years) and that tends to be the case with new consoles. Unless it has backward compatibility anyway. If it includes that then I'm ready for the PS5 now.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                          RTX cards suggest, no they won't. The visual gains are so small now and even then hitting 4K/60fps consistently is still be measured on games designed for 2013 era consoles. They will ramp up the design requirements but the performance hit will suck the framerate right back down to 30fps for a start.
                          But the RTX cards still have to devote a huge amount of transistors to the conventional rasterisation hardware that could be better spent elsewhere if a new rendering paradigm was to be adopted.

Comment

XBOX and PS4 Pro are like iPhone ‘S’ models - souped-up versions.

Even if Sony were to release PS5 early next year, the XBO/PS4 early adopters will have got a good six years out of their investments, and anyone who joined the current gen with the XBOX/PS4 Pro can simply wait for the XBOX2/PS5 Pro a few more years down the line.

I doubt there will be any major departures from generational gaming norms. Every new generation has essentially boiled down to better graphics so why change now? Just because we may not see any vast improvement in graphics to justify a new generation, doesn't mean the majority of consumers will. I bet many will be upgrading to 4K TVs around the time the new consoles hit so for them there will be a much more tangible jump in quality.

Comment

WARNING

Be careful of talking to strangers... or getting messages from them!

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                                WARNING

Be careful of talking to strangers... or getting messages from them!

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2018/...orted_by_users
                                Thanks for posting this! Updating the settings immediately

Comment

Working...
                                X