• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do feel a bit like the kid who got socks and pants for Christmas

Comment

Originally posted by Junko View Post
      I get what you mean, though I should say, I don't have any issue with the stuff they did show.

The Mario Party game will probably be really fun.

The Xenoblade content will probably be great for the people who love that game.

Smash was short on surprises, but it was pretty much what we expected. It looks fine.

The stuff they showed was decent.

The problem was that we all kinda wanted 2-3 brand new games on the level of Metroid Prime, Animal Crossing or F-Zero, and in that sense we've emerged disappointed.

Comment

It would appear that games set in feudal Japan are this year's WWII / Zombie shooter / battle royale game.

Comment

So having watched everything now, I need to let things settle but my immediate reaction is that the following titles stood out to me:

Skull & Bones - that water tech is fantastic and it has a WaveRace vibe, as it looks like it affects gameplay. That's something pretty fresh, so I'll almost certainly get that.

Starlink - the Starfox tie-in was the biggest surprise of all the shows, but I like the look of the core game. I never bought No Man's Sky because I always felt it would turn out badly; this looks like someone took all the ideas from that game and repackaged it into an experience that appeals to me. I need to know more about how the toy thing works as that's not for me, but if it's a good game, I'll likely get it.

Daemon x Machina - Like most people I thought it was an Armored Core spinoff; then again Kawamori did the design work for it, so it's no surprise it looks like AC. I need to know more, but as an AC fan, I'll definitely get this if it works out.

Freemium games popping up on Switch - my biggest concern; we're starting to see these. I hope Nintendo maintains a very tight leash on that, or it might lead to a race-to-the-bottom and their carefully curated indies will suffer and desert them.

Metal Wolf Chaos - Sold. Always wanted to try it. Will almost certainly buy it unless the port is a hack job.

Ghosts of Tsushima/Ni-Oh2/Sekiro - I may buy a PS4 at the end of the month.

VR stuff - I may buy a PSVR to go with that PS4.

Forza Horizon 4 - I'll get it on PC if I get it, but I'm curious about its online features and weather tech. Will keep an eye on this.

Jump fighter on Xbox/The Quiet Man - These two duke it out in my eyes for the worst thing at the event. The Jump fighter's trailer was awful and The Quiet Man simply looked bad and uninteresting.

Nintendo delivered half a conference. Probably nothing else needs to be said.

Obviously there were stacks of indies too, but these were my highlights.

Really can't express how little I thought The Quiet Man. Some games are interesting, some look good, some lack one of those things... Like I have no interest in The Division 2, but I could see an inherent quality; I know people will like it. There are some games on show which don't look like the best game, but they have an intriguing premise.

The Quiet Man seems to have neither.

Comment

Originally posted by Junko View Post
            Well at least you didn’t get superman64 as your only game of the year.

Comment

TLOU2
              Days Gone
              Spider-Man
              Ghost of Tsushima (singular - not Ghosts - I would assume he's a Ronin)
              Death Stranding
              Control
              Resident Evil 2
              Starlink
              Daemon X Machina

Some really, really good looking stuff that I own the formats for!

Forza Horizon 4
              Gears 5

Both looked cool.

Comment

I'm just working my way through the abridged versions of the various presentations.
                When you watch them back to back, you realise just how many virtual people are slaughtered in these things, sheesh!
                They all seem either cutesy/kiddy or ultraviolent. I'm finding myself drawn to the titles that are trying to be neither of those.

Thanks to Engadget for all these videos that summarise each presentation in about ten minutes.

Sony

Microsoft

Nintendo

Square Enix

Bethesda

EA

Ubisoft

Comment

Nintendo's Conference in summary:

I mean, for sweet jesus sake. I suppose it's notable because there's no way of dodging now the obvious matter that Nintendo released the Switch at least a year earlier than they'd planned to originally. I know people will pick out games they like from this year but broadly it shows their hand far too much and honestly should raise serious questions as to whether they actually do have the ability to support the system with enough big hitters over its lifespan.

Super Smash Bros Ultimate is an awkward game. I mean, let's not beat around the bush, it's plainly another WiiU port but stuffed up because of how belated it's arriving into the systems lifespan in lieu of new projects. I can let it slide but only due to the content they've thrown in to render any further sequels pretty redundant.

Comment

I love Nintendo games, but holy bum dribble, I have never been a fan of Smash Bros. The rest of the world loves it. I love Street Fighter too, so I should at least get on with it a little bit.

Where was Metroid and F-Zero? Ridge Racer was rumoured to be an exclusive at the start of the year. Looks like that was a big fat lie. Pokken and now Smash Bros... Mehbaaaaaaahnooooooo!

Comment

When I went to bed, I can only assume they were still talking about Smash Bros. Guessing they didn’t finally wrap that up and announce Animal Crossing or something cool while I was asleep?

Comment

This morning I find myself thinking, why don't Nintendo just pull out of engaging with E3 altogether? I mean, it's embarrassing how bad the are at it.

For one, what the hell has happened to that Yoshi game? Two, if you have THAT little to show why the hell would you avoid throwing in updates on 3DS titles as well? It's like they went out of their way to look bad. It would have been a passable Nintendo Direct.

Honestly, they need to just stop with E3.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
                          I love Nintendo games, but holy bum dribble, I have never been a fan of Smash Bros.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                            This morning I find myself thinking, why don't Nintendo just pull out of engaging with E3 altogether? I mean, it's embarrassing how bad the are at it.

For one, what the hell has happened to that Yoshi game? Two, if you have THAT little to show why the hell would you avoid throwing in updates on 3DS titles as well? It's like they went out of their way to look bad. It would have been a passable Nintendo Direct.

Honestly, they need to just stop with E3.
                            They see it as an American show. In that case all they really need to do is show Smash Bros. and they win. It's probably going to shift 10m by Christmas.

Comment

Hope they're right as it didn't work for WiiU. I think sometimes companies overestimate the lessening of relevance E3 has. It's not as big as it once was but a poor showing can still significantly damage potential buyers and existing users confidence in your brand.

For me, it says a lot that Atmosphere remains the most interesting thing coming to Switch (Octopath aside)

Comment

We are hitting Nintendo hard with a big stick today and rightly so, i watched the presentation at lunch time and as someone who skipped smash on wiiu it was a presentation with not a lot for me, the awesome metal soundtrack and massive explosions on the new mech game they opened with had me buzzing and then it all seemed to go wrong.

They really needed a big surprise and I'm not sure why they didn't wait with let's go Pokemon for E3. The trailer they did would have filled out the very thin E3 they had (this is a brand new switch game after-all).

I think what hits hardest is their is a real push for games like Animal crossing, pilot wings and F-zero, yet year on year they're ignored, and when they do bring out the old guns like they did with starfox they botch it with motion controls and subpar mini game spins off's. How is it right that we have only two Luigi's mansion games and a million Mario/sports party games which nobody wants.

Comment

Working...
                                X