No announcement yet.

Playstation 5: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ps5 is a bit curvey. I think it might sit on top, but at a slant.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
      Will my PS4 fit snuggly on top of the PS5? I mean like with both laid horizontally. That would be nice.
      I think the PS4 would just slide off, wouldn't it? The PS5 is curved while the PS4 has a flat bottom*.

*don't even think about it, Ted

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
        *don't even think about it, Ted
        Seriously, mate?! It's like you're purposely goading my innuendo response system (IRS).

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
          The PS5 reveal has clocked in 22m views and 1.1m likes.
          To put that in to context, the Xbox seriesX shown in December still has 12m views and 300k likes.
          And for a bit more perspective MS is yet to show any real footage of their 1st party line-up. Instead they've done a hardware reveal, a 3rd party reveal and plan the 1st party stuff for July (Halo).

I think if you run the numbers on everything MS has shown since December versus Sony the figures aren't so one sided...?

It's hardly surprising the difference in numbers given the sheer lack of information from Sony and then delivering it all (bar price) in one hit. Smart move by Sony?

I think it was correct for MS to get out in front with the hardware reveal. It showed confidence and the machine is a solid technical achievement. Plus of course December was pre lockdown and things were supposed to play out differently. I figure they had the hardware to display and all the games to show at E3.

The 3rd party "gameplay" piece was a mistake but you only find that out in retrospect. Let's see what they have yet to show us...

Comment

Except Sony haven't revealed everything.

Price.
            Release date.
            UI.
            Backwards compatibility.
            The secret controller stuff that Jim Ryan has spoken about.
            Certain first party developer titles.

There's still loads to go for both manufacturers and I can't wait to see what they've in store for gamers.

The difference is, from a software perspective, the first party stuff on the SEX (yes, really) will be playable on the One X so I've no need to rush out and buy one.

Comment

Like I said, it's just going to be a shuffle of the abacus. We won't see a sudden landslide towards Xbox. Not without Sony doing some total **** up.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                Except Sony haven't revealed everything.

Price.
                Release date.
                UI.
                Backwards compatibility.
                The secret controller stuff that Jim Ryan has spoken about.
                Certain first party developer titles.

There's still loads to go for both manufacturers and I can't wait to see what they've in store for gamers.

The difference is, from a software perspective, the first party stuff on the SEX (yes, really) will be playable on the One X so I've no need to rush out and buy one.
                Well ok they haven't shown everything but they did show a lot in one major hit instead of the drip feed approach.

MS only decided on the one per month update approach after lockdown to keep people in touch regularly but I do wonder if it was the wrong approach.

There is still plenty we don't know but right now Sony went from zero to 100mph...

Comment

A fairer comparison is the Switch reveal. PS5's design trailer (the one only showing the hardware appearance) is now on 23.5m views after 5 days, the Switch is on 43m views after 3 and a half years (would be interesting if there were like for like figures).

PS5 - 1.2m Likes, 51K Dislikes
                  NS - 696K Likes, 30K Dislikes
                  XSX - 337K Likes, 29K Dislikes

I think there was an analyst view the other day where they projected a similar outcome to this gen but overall hardware sales across platforms to be lower next-gen which sounds about right.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
                    I think there was an analyst view the other day where they projected a similar outcome to this gen but overall hardware sales across platforms to be lower next-gen which sounds about right.
                    Ta da!...https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...edicts-analyst

Ampere's Piers Harding-Rolls expects PS5 to sell 66 million sold by end of 2024, compared to 37 million for Series X
                    "While the market is still substantial and likely to be consistently large at least during the next console life cycle, what has been proven over the last decade is that even with significant resources ploughed into growing adoption on a global basis, including more serious entry into a series of additional territories, substantial hardware unit sales growth for Sony and Microsoft combined has not materialised," Harding-Rolls said.

Comment

That's the one Though personally I feel he's right about PS5 (maybe hitting 100m lifetime but not much past it given no market growth, Switch and recession) I think he's over egged it with Series X which I feel will sell less than Xbox One did in the end as MS have removed more reasons to buy one (thanks to PC cross platforming, XBO running its games etc) than they've added reasons to get one.

Comment

MS have shot themselves in the foot yet again with such a big recent discount on the OneX. All the fence sitters like myself that WOULD have got a SeriesX probably already got a OneX. Plus with all the in house exclusives confirmed for OneS/X theres zero incentive to upgrade. In a few years? Sure, but the launch window and momentum is long gone by then.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                          All the fence sitters like myself that WOULD have got a SeriesX probably already got a OneX.
                          Yes, I can really see fishbowlhead being 1st in the cue to hand over £450 for a Series X on launch day.

Plus with all the in house exclusives confirmed for OneS/X theres zero incentive to upgrade.
                          That's like a PC owner saying they have no need to upgrade and happy or Master System owner's back in the day making out they didn't need a Mega Drive and were happy to play Sonic and Streets of Rage on the Master System.

I don't buy it for a 2nd.

Comment

I see where you’re coming from TA and it’s just like a pc owner. Pc gamers will upgrade their hardware at a time of their choosing. Unless a game they want has system requirements that their system doesn’t meet. So, with series x games working on the one then gamers will buy a series x when they feel like it. Some will want their games to look as good as possible and buy day one, just like pc gamers who constantly want the latest gift card but there’s a whole bunch of people who will just wait. In year 1 nothing will force their hand. The ps5 on the other hand only needs a single game to force a purchase if you want to play that game.

Comment

I wouldn't agree that there's zero incentive to upgrade from a One S or X. Clearly that's not true - the Series X is significantly more powerful and will offer a better experience.

But I would say that the incentive is lessened compared to the PS5, where you'll get titles that are completely exclusive to that platform.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                                So, with series x games working on the one then gamers will buy a series x when they feel like it. Some will want their games to look as good as possible and buy day one, just like pc gamers who constantly want the latest gift card but there’s a whole bunch of people who will just wait..
                                I got a 3DFX card back in the day just to play Half-Life, even though I could play it in software. I loved the Master System, but I rather the Mega Drive versions of the same games for better graphics and sound, even if Mickey Mouse plays better. I thought the MD version made a bigger impact. I don't see serious gamers being happy with Halo on a base Xbox, rather than getting a Series X

Comment

Working...
                                X