Playstation 5: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
    Depends what the base price is I suppose. Aren't most sales digital now?
    Yes, we have crossed the 50% line now even if just measuring consoles, although I don't have a source to hand (and/or there different ways of measuring this; UK vs. other regions, by platform etc.)

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
    That's really interesting, thanks Digfox.
    No worries

I do think there could be a 'cat among the pigeons' moment if Sony do a significant split in pricing between the two, say £449 for the digital and £549 for the one with a disc drive. I could see a few people being angry at that.

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Tbh I can't think of many DVD players that didn't offer an optical out, since digital surround was one of the plus points of DVD, but that was then and now it's seems HDMI that's the choice for sound systems, rather than optical
    Under the Bordersdown Handbook, Chapter 7, Section 8.1, subsection 8.1.4.5.6 part B you are only allowed 16-hours to respond before it is considered an automatic win for the other poster. This overrides the NTSC-UK Handbook in case you want to respond with Chapter 9, section 2.3, Appendix C.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
      That's really interesting, thanks Digfox.

It makes me wonder if there's value in seeing the bigger picture.
      Adding a DVD player to the PS2 must've bagged a lot more sales.

I was an Xbox 360 player and would've gone down the One route, but that anti-consumer E3 reveal put me right off.

If people are willing to buy another console, they're going to want to future proof too. Maybe it's their first 4K HDR disc player, so another reason to get one. If you've spent a lot of money buying PS4 games and the PS5 will play them, it starts looking a better option that starting from scratch with a new console.
      Surely people are buying less optical media these days. Music CDs and then DVDs/BR are all in decline so that disc drive has less projected value.

I went fully digital with the Xbox One and have never looked back. I cannot remember the last time a disc was even put in my console. Plus, with gold, game pass and general worldwide digital pricing I have spent far less on games by going digital.

And... I still "own" the digital library I've bought. Own as in, as long as the service I bought them on exists.

Comment

This is also something I was thinking about as people sway towards all the streaming platforms.
        There are people like yourself who will love a digital only box, but there are also lots of people who, if they want one box under the telly, will be able to chuck on a Blu-Ray or DVD too.

I think your use of speechmarks on "own" says it all.
        Most people probably don't care, but there's going to come a point when you no longer have access to them.

Comment

That's thing isn't it, media is to be consumed and once that's done it's served its purpose for a lot of people. If it's convenient enough and the price is right, it's going to win out.

Comment

Its a shame that 50 to 55 quid digital games are still being released. Otherwise I would be way more inclined to go digital. I also hate being burned by buying a digital game I don't like

Comment

The disc version will easily outsell the digital version. I think as big as the digital sales pie slice has become it's still nowhere near irradicating the need for the drive in most peoples minds. The second hand market factor is still a big factor and buying digitally is still hugely more expensive for most than using physical media on console. I think that's part of the reason Sony never felt much need to knock out a budget digital only PS4. I fully suspect the digital PS5 has less to do with huge demand for that SKU and more to do with lessening the need to manufacture a higher number of UHD drives as well as increasing the chance of a SKU that undercuts Microsofts launch pricing.

Comment

Will people be able to sell their digital games at some point? I guess people within the industry have discussed this matter? I wish I could sell some of my digital games.

Comment

I think there's a very vocal minority of people who will always want a disc drive, for as long as one is available. I'd be one of those people (though minus the 'very vocal' bit).

But anecdotally, people I know who play games who aren't hardcore nerds about it tend to buy everything digitally now. They see no real point in buying physical. It doesn't even really occur to them I don't think.

At this point, gaming is an outlier in that physical media is such a big component of it. It feels more natural and normal to purchase media via a digital interface for most people I think.

It's more expensive, up to a point, mostly because you can't trade stuff in. But to be honest, can most adults be arsed with that? Unless you're a dedicated enthusiast who plays everything that comes out, the financial difference isn't that massive.

The digital chunk of game sales is going to grow bigger and bigger. In the meantime, while I don't think discs will disappear completely for an extremely long time, the number of people using them or caring about them is going to keep on shrinking.

IMO, the discless PS5 both capitalises on that trend (by reducing the price of entry), and encourages it (by incentivising people to ditch discs to make a saving on what will be an extremely expensive console).

It's a smart move that helps them to be more competitive on price and, ultimately, make more money per consumer. I'll be fascinated to see what the sales figures are like for the discless vs the disced.
                  Last edited by wakka; 23-06-2020, 16:45.

Comment

Personally I slowly switched to digital only because it was easier to get games. I'm a family man and for me, being able to see a game I want, have it downloading, and play it within an hour just works. I'm not having to drag myself or my family to a shop. Plus I don't have to fill a room with games like I had in the 360 days. It's just minimal impact to family life.
                    I can't remember the last CD, or disk I bought to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post

The NTSC-UK Handbook
                      The good old days when people used to talk of 50 and 60Hz (Sadly HDMI killed that too ) and when people used to look forward to games and systems

Percy Pal for the WIN

Comment

when people used to look forward to games and systems ��
                        Like people actually look forward to games and consoles and actively enjoy playing them!

Ridiculous!!

Comment

The good old days when people used to talk of 50 and 60Hz (Sadly HDMI killed that too ) and when people used to look forward to games and systems

Percy Pal for the WIN

Although the 'Percy' reference has gone above my head. I'm sure you're not talking about Shovel Knight.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                            Like people actually look forward to games and consoles and actively enjoy playing them!

Ridiculous!!
                            Yeah... Remember them ?

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                              Will people be able to sell their digital games at some point? I guess people within the industry have discussed this matter? I wish I could sell some of my digital games.
                              There was talk of it on Xbox and I remember actually taking part in a MS survey asking lots of questions on the subject.

So yes they've thought about it.

As for 50-60 quid digital games. Yes it's insane when generally the disc versions could release at the same time and be 15 quid cheaper in your local supermarket.

For that reason I've always shopped worldwide and bought a lot of digital games from Hong Kong or Singapore where the exchange rate made it cost less and dare I say it, about what it should cost compared to the disc version.

Comment

[MENTION=221]nonny[/MENTION]

Thanks for the info.

I've never bought a digital game for full price - they've all been quite cheap in the sales. So AAA games for under £20 and Indie games for under £10. If I really want a new(ish) game, I'll buy a boxed copy, because I'll want to sell it if I don't like it.

The only reason I have quite a few digital games is because of sales and lots of Indie games are digital-only. It would be great if I could sell digital games, because then I'd probably have no reason to buy boxed copies.

Comment

Working...
                                X