Playstation 5: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a surprising announcement!

Looks like a pretty cool little gadget to be honest, although I'm not sure I'd personally find much use for it.

Comment

Arent programmable buttons a massive advantage online?

Comment

Either a hint to the DS5 (though nothing like this came out of that leak a few weeks back) or this is how Sony is responding to the Xbox Elite controllers

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
          Either a hint to the DS5 (though nothing like this came out of that leak a few weeks back) or this is how Sony is responding to the Xbox Elite controllers
          To be honest the best thing about the elite controller is the trigger stops and swappable thumb sticks and dpad. I think I tried once with mine with all four paddles but then settled for just one. If Sony can bring those extra features to the PS5 default controller, or at the very least an optional elite model it would be great.

Also, on Xbox you can buy 3rd party trigger stops and thumb stick kits so it's pretty straightforward to make an elite controller cheap provided you want to open up a controller.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
            Arent programmable buttons a massive advantage online?
            Only the ones that provide rapid fire and the like, which is literally cheating especially in something like destiny where you can use them to shoot 10 times faster than other people.

This add on wouldn’t do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
              in the patent images all the detail on the back of the pad was weirdly absent. I think this is a way to make the pad compatible with ps5 games. I guess if they make any noises about games that support these extra butons natively, then that will seal the deal.

Comment

If it does come with paddles it's another tick in the box for Sony.
                Why pay £100 for the Xbox elite controller when you get more or less the same bundled with the PS5? Maybe it won't have the trigger stops and all the customisation, but for the average player it's more buttons then you get with the normal xbox controller and for most thats all that matters.

Edit: I thought of an analogy.
                Imagine you had an optimus prime and the following year two new primes were released, one had a new colour and an extra gun (a share button) , but the other had a couple of extra guns (paddles) and a new way to transform him (haptic vibration and trigger feedback). Both are the same price. Which do you buy?
                Last edited by Cassius_Smoke; 21-12-2019, 08:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                  Why pay £100 for the Xbox elite controller when you get more or less the same bundled with the PS5? Maybe it won't have the trigger stops and all the customisation, but for the average player it's more buttons then you get with the normal xbox controller and for most thats all that matters.

Imagine you had an optimus prime and the following year two new primes were released, one had a new colour and an extra gun (a share button) , but the other had a couple of extra guns (paddles) and a new way to transform him (haptic vibration and trigger feedback). Both are the same price. Which do you buy?
                  £100? Try £180!

Comment

A couple of back buttons would definately be welcome, but once they become standard, I wonder what developers will use them for?

Why pay for 4 launch games and another 6 throughout the year at £600 total, when a subscription will let you play them all for a fraction of that price.

This gen coming up is going to be interesting

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                      A couple of back buttons would definately be welcome, but once they become standard, I wonder what developers will use them for?

Why pay for 4 launch games and another 6 throughout the year at £600 total, when a subscription will let you play them all for a fraction of that price.

This gen coming up is going to be interesting
                      You’re not wrong. That’s a cracking deal for gamers. My concern is from the game developer point of view. Why would people spend £60 on your game ? Here, have a small percentage of the pittance they’re paying us instead. The mantra “I’ll wait for it to come to game pass” could mean that people stop buying games and devs who had no intention of putting their game on there will effectively be forced to. If Sony do something similar I think that’ll be really bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                        Here, have a small percentage of the pittance they’re paying us instead. The mantra “I’ll wait for it to come to game pass” could mean that people stop buying games and devs who had no intention of putting their game on there will effectively be forced to. If Sony do something similar I think that’ll be really bad.
                        It depends on how big that subscriber base is, because if it's big enough Then, that that small percentage of royalties becomes a big deal and unlike with a game at retail, it's income coming every month. We've also seen games like Forza 4 and Sea Of Thieves do well at retail even though they're on Gamepass.

I think having back pedals are brilliant too, especially wonderful for gear changing on driving games. Also, I like to use the pedals for the run function, instead of needing to press in the stick (which I hate) . Good move by SONY and I expect MS to copy it

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                          It depends on how big that subscriber base is, because if it's big enough Then, that that small percentage of royalties becomes a big deal and unlike with a game at retail, it's income coming every month. We've also seen games like Forza 4 and Sea Of Thieves do well at retail even though they're on Gamepass.

I think having back pedals are brilliant too, especially wonderful for gear changing on driving games. Also, I like to use the pedals for the run function, instead of needing to press in the stick (which I hate) . Good move by SONY and I expect MS to copy it
                          I'm sure there are talks and financial experts working all the ins and out. It'll be profitable for both parties, I don't doubt it.

Comment

It might be that game pass pays a set amount over x amount of months/years which might be better than an initial sharp sales curve before tailing away.

Comment

I'm sure there are talks and financial experts working all the ins and out. It'll be profitable for both parties, I don't doubt it.
                              I would imagine any game on Gamepass get a royalty for each month its on there. If one looks at sales of games that are on Gamepass and also on retail, it seems most of the bigger games do well from both.

Comment

The potential issue with Game Pass comes when the games selection becomes too wide for the user base. An awful lot depends on MS being able to get Game Pass to appeal beyond the console gaming audience and to keep the games selection fresh but not oversaturated whilst simultaneously keeping budgets in check. It's hard to imagine MS wanting to emulate Netflix for gaming given games budgets are huge and Netlfix itself is grossly unprofitable with a day or reckoning coming for it. It's why those cheap offers definitely won't last and it'll be interesting to see what MS does with Game Pass if XSX is a huge hit because Game Pass paid off by monetising XBO games which weren't hugely profitable because of the console stalling.

Comment

Working...
                                X