No announcement yet.

Playstation 5: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its not Netflix (gaming is totlly different) and one look at MS profits shows that Gamepass is not eating into the XBox divsion profits despite gamepass being over 2 years old.

Gamepass is the best gaming servies ever seen, its only issues are, its not done by SONY LOL

Comment

If gamepass catches on in its current form the game industry will implode, simple as.

It needs to be knocked in the head now and traditional purchasing kept as is.

Comment

Traditional purchasing still exists.
        If you’re that fussed about it buy every game day one for £49.99 regardless if it’s on gamepass or not.

Comment

I do buy my games full price thanks.

I even buy some indie games I'm not going to play just to support the dev.

Comment

Surely if someone is getting better value for money (us) then someone else must be losing out? That someone is either developers, Microsoft, or both of them. If you are saving money by having game pass then who was getting that money previously that now isn’t?

I’m not an economist so if there’s some black financial magic I’m not understanding then please educate me!

Comment

Buying games you wont play to support a developer is silly. You are better off donating to them. Im sure theyll accept!

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                You’re not wrong. That’s a cracking deal for gamers. My concern is from the game developer point of view. Why would people spend £60 on your game ? Here, have a small percentage of the pittance they’re paying us instead. The mantra “I’ll wait for it to come to game pass” could mean that people stop buying games and devs who had no intention of putting their game on there will effectively be forced to. If Sony do something similar I think that’ll be really bad.
                It's definately a concern I'm sure, but I think the same people that have that mentality already do it with sales and refused to pay anything bar a fraction of the price of the "normal" price.

I think just like GWG and PS+ has provided a little bit of an extra revenue stream for developers , game pass just provides a seperate revenue stream, which games have very little for beyond day one unit sales and then heavy discounting at a later date.

I know the latest Star Wars movie will be on Disney plus 6 months from now, but that won't stop me (or others) from going to see it at the cinema first.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
                  Buying games you wont play to support a developer is silly. You are better off donating to them. Im sure theyll accept!
                  Why? If i see a game thats had a ton of effort put into it and i like the look of, i just buy it to support the dev, why not? Takes me seconds to buy on psn or whatever, but years to make. I can play it if i want, if i don’t get time who cares.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                    Surely if someone is getting better value for money (us) then someone else must be losing out? That someone is either developers, Microsoft, or both of them. If you are saving money by having game pass then who was getting that money previously that now isn’t?

I’m not an economist so if there’s some black financial magic I’m not understanding then please educate me!
                    Your not missing anything and it doesn’t work at all, not short term and not long term.

Not unless game pass/es went up to a mandatory fee of £200 a month for every console owner.
                    Last edited by fishbowlhead; 22-12-2019, 21:26.

Comment

So, longevity of revenue for most games on the service with first party titles being loss leaders (unless fortunate enough to MTX enough to compensate lost sales)

Comment

Yes, another route to making money for longer out of a game. A lot of the long tail of game sales is currently second hand. They don’t make anything off that.

Comment

Realistically we could see only 1 game release per studio and then just milk game pass until the following gen.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                            Realistically we could see only 1 game release per studio and then just milk game pass until the following gen.
                            Hehe, if Game Pass isn’t going to destroy developers by paying them too little, it’ll destroy them by paying them too much! It can’t win!

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                              Hehe, if Game Pass isn’t going to destroy developers by paying them too little, it’ll destroy them by paying them too much! It can’t win!
                              It still wouldn't work, indie, small or large devs wouldn't see an increase in royalties if said gamepass account suddenly had excess funds in it.

Have to look at gamepass as advertising for MS, not a business model to keep the xbox division going short or long term.

Comment

Honestly, I don’t really get the big deal. It’s just an extension of what already exists with PS Plus and GWG, and it’s obviously worthwhile to some indie devs - Demon’s Tilt has come to Game Pass but hasn’t released on PS4 or Switch yet, which suggests it was financially most advantageous to start with GP than with selling it via PS Store or eShop.

It’ll only ever be Microsoft’s own titles - a tool to sell consoles and subs rather than moneymakers in their own right - older stuff from other pubs, where income from sales has mostly dried up or they see it as advantageous to increase their addressable market for DLC, and brand new stuff from indies who choose GP as a launch platform.

It’s not going to take over from selling games in the ordinary, £50 way. It’s complementary.

Comment

Working...
                                X