No announcement yet.

Playstation 5: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I listened to an interview on IGN unlocked with the developers of Oxenfree / After-party where they said Game Pass really, really helped them sustain the studio but they wouldn't disclose the financials.

Without knowing the financials it's hard to add comment to whether the service is eroding conventional revenue channels or if it's good / bad longer term. All I know is being on the service long term is great from a consumer perspective, I'm definitely winning here but also I am sometimes buying games as they leave game pass... Or buying games that don't come to the service such as EA titles (Jedi Fallen Order).

So whilst I acknowkedge the concern, making any definitive observation of its effect on the industry other than commenting on your own consumer experiences or those direct from 3rd party developers using it day one... Is just theory with no evidence.

Comment

Sony conference on the 6th. I don't think they'll say much about the PS5 but it mentions they'll be talking about future technology and a unique vision.

Comment

The PS5 logo was shown at CES. Its...eh...PS5...like the PS4...but 5.
        And they reiterated some of the news that we already know.

Comment

That logo design probably speaks volumes for how Sony is going to approach the PS5 and how much they feel they need to change course to fend off Microsoft.

Comment

That's it isn't it. MS need to actively sell the console, Sony just have to add a 5.

Comment

This just shows what an up hill struggle MS has. They showed their whole console and didn't achieve the impact just this logo had.

Comment

Maybe MS should stop making an almost infinite amount of arrogant yank executive decisions and really build the xbox brand properly, instead of what their currently doing.

Comment

Oh boy, I’m now incredibly curious to hear what is classed as a “arrogant yank executive” decision?

Comment

Basically everything MS have done with the xbox brand? At this point I'm surprised they haven’t tried to rebrand xbox live into something ridiculous.

Comment

T-shirts. That's not even a joke. That Sony has the Playstation brand - with the same fundamental logo as it was 25 years ago - be a lifestyle brand that people buy and wear t-shirts, sweatshirts etc as a fashion choice speaks to the power of brand building they've done. Nintendo has a similar effect even if it's not in terms of lifestyle but rather a vice grip over nostalgia making them able to shift stuff like Amiibo thanks to the non-game appeal of their brands and characters. Xbox... people are very aware of the relationship with the colour green but nearly 20 years in it's clearly the weakest brand broadly speaking.

Comment

This seems to think Sony are skipping E3 this year and are instead attending 'hundreds of consumer events across the globe'. Considering they are launching a new console this is quite surprising, although I guess attending this many events will probably get your voice heard more.

PlayStation will miss E3 for a second year in a row.The firm told GamesIndustry.biz that it does not feel the vision fo…

Comment

I don't really get attending hundreds of events and not doing E3. If they later announce a Nintendo E3 timed seperate thing sure but skipping it when it attracts a huge amount of attention regardless of being past its prime seems like a missed opportunity.

Comment

I don't think it's that surprising given that E3 is a mess atm with a half empty show. There is obviously a disagreement in what the show should be from some of the larger attendees. And that's even before you have other issues such as the data leaks from the ESA.

A public attending show, on Sony's terms makes sense, if that's what they want.

Comment

Ah man, I hate what has happened to E3. It used to be a second Christmas for me, even though I end up not buying any of the games!

Comment

Working...
                              X