No announcement yet.

Playstation 5: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unless MS is willing to take heavy losses on XSX they won't come in any cheaper so if Sony was to see slow uptake then XSX would be still born. It feels like if things remain tight both are likely to be willing to take a small hit in the short term to set the systems at an RRP that means a small loss that turns around in the next year or so as parts get cheaper. I honestly can't picture either wading in with an overpriced console anywhere near the current situation, it's not a play that makes any sense.

Comment

Id take a guess and say even at £550 both would still be making a loss on their consoles. The tech in these this time is insane cost wise.

My prediction is both will launch at £550.

Comment

At £550 I'm out.

Comment

My guess has always been £449/$499.

Anything higher than that is going to be a seriously tough sell, especially when almost everything is going to be cross-gen for a good long while (even on PS5, apart from Sony's exclusives).

Comment

Unfortunately with various factors the price was always going to be high for these new consoles. For me it probably cements a decision to NOT buy at launch and look at either or both in 2021. Again a common sense decision given how little I played of PS4 at launch.

What the article doesn't talk about is the impact of the current software and services side and whether Sony are also ready on those fronts. And whether that would fall inline with a decision to delay a launch into 2021.

Comment

I did that with the switch and paid the same price after a year as I would have on launch. So, I played an inferior version of BOTW for no reason whatsoever.

Comment

My big concern on PS5 isn’t software or even price. I want absolute concrete information on their cooling solution before i even think about purchasing anywhere near launch.

Cerny said they are well aware of the noise issues of PS4, okay, what are you doing about it?

Clock speeds still seem insane to me and quite frankly i don’t understand how the system will handle it at sustainable levels all day without frying, again what are you doing about it Sony?

Facts Sony i want facts dammit!

Comment

It's possible that Sony have some awesome heatsink cooling thing. I mean the tech presentation seemed to show that alot of thought has gone in to it. Copper cooling + fans + the case providing epic airflow.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
                    I did that with the switch and paid the same price after a year as I would have on launch. So, I played an inferior version of BOTW for no reason whatsoever.
                    Fair enough it might not always make sense, although everyone is different of course.

PS5 and XSX are unlikely to be exact same price, configuration or library even just after one year though.
                    Last edited by Digfox; 16-04-2020, 17:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                      It's possible that Sony have some awesome heatsink cooling thing. I mean the tech presentation seemed to show that alot of thought has gone in to it. Copper cooling + fans + the case providing epic airflow.
                      I’d love if it’s a tower just like the XBX

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
                        Fair enough it might not always make sense, although everyone is different of course.

PS5 and XSX are unlikely to be exact same price, configuration or library even just after one year though.
                        The library definitely will be more exciting. I waited for Mario Odyssey for a wow moment. I think PS5 may have it at launch, though, if Spiderman rumours are true. And Last of Us if it ends up on PS5.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
                          Erm...WiiU BOTW is literally the equivalent of Switch BOTW in handheld mode - 720p, 30fps.

Even in docked mode, Switch BOTW is hardly that much superior - a "variable" 900p, still 30fps.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                            My big concern on PS5 isn’t software or even price. I want absolute concrete information on their cooling solution before i even think about purchasing anywhere near launch.

Cerny said they are well aware of the noise issues of PS4, okay, what are you doing about it?

Clock speeds still seem insane to me and quite frankly i don’t understand how the system will handle it at sustainable levels all day without frying, again what are you doing about it Sony?
                            I think that is the point of the setup within the PS5. It has a fixed maximum power ceiling so when the APU doesn't need all that it will reduce the power delivery and hence reduce the temperature of the APU. The clock speed will likely only be reduced in fairly usual circumstances like the examples Mr Cerny pointed out in his not GDC talk.

Comment

The slightly scary bit was this. Got visions of the first batches with bodge wires. I suppose you can add 'don't trust Sony not to produce another hair dryer' to the list of reasons to wait.

Covid-19 travel restrictions have prevented Sony engineers from flying to China to direct final adjustments before assembly plants go into mass production. Sony’s assembly partner had voiced concern last month about meeting the production deadline, however those worries have since abated and it should now be able to meet Sony’s requested schedule, people familiar with the discussions said.

Comment

I have to assume Sony has the software ready for PS5. Sony have been on radio silence on new game announcements for literally years now, burning off the stuff they announced in 2016/2017 for some time now so there should be quite a bit that's been simmering for a long time now.

Comment

Working...
                                X