Playstation 5: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
    I have to assume Sony has the software ready for PS5. Sony have been on radio silence on new game announcements for literally years now, burning off the stuff they announced in 2016/2017 for some time now so there should be quite a bit that's been simmering for a long time now.
    Unlikely, or at least that assumes no delays of any kind due to Covid-19, which we know isn't the case (i.e. the hardware engineers not even being able to visit suppliers). When Phil Spencer interviewed with EG he was very clear that software and service teams were struggling. Sony's teams will also have been impacted in some way even if they do manage to hit their dates.

Comment

Now it gets real. He's back...

PS. I'm late seeing these, but can't remember them being shared.
      Last edited by Digfox; 17-04-2020, 00:08.

Comment

That second one is just GOLD, love Kaz.

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
          *cough*....HDMI-CEC. I can use any of my Samsung TV remotes with the PS4. Might save some money or be more useful if you only want to use the one remote.
          That works?! It didn't work on my Panasonic back when I had a PS4 even though it works with my PS3, so I assumed Sony had removed the feature.

Comment

[MENTION=5941]Asura[/MENTION] Yep.

I mean it's an old standard baked into HDMI from the get go. I mentioned in a response to wakka how it worked on my Samsung TV (we currently have 3 in the house, but unfortunately no Sony TV anymore for me to extend my test). I don't believe Xbox One supports it. The only other device I've tested it on is the Raspberry Pi with Kodi or Plex. Which aligns with the only devices that work correctly with HDMI.

There's an article from 2018 here with confirmation that all the manufacturers support it and what they call it. As mentioned it's probably supported to different levels. Can be useful if you want to switch on the PS4 for some media duties. I don't have a PS3 anymore but I remember it worked flawless with that too on my oldest Samsung TV.

May be obvious statement but it has to be enabled in the PS4 settings menu.
            Last edited by Digfox; 17-04-2020, 08:35.

Comment

(we currently have 3 in the house, but unfortunately no Sony TV anymore for me to extend my test)..
              Sony sets support this (well, my 4K from 2018 does, so I'd assume others from then and forwards will do too), under the "Bravia Sync" moniker.

Comment

May be obvious statement but it has to be enabled in the PS4 settings menu.
                That actually might be it. The PS3 has it on by default. Works pretty well; my PS3 turns on when I switch to its channel, turns off when the TV turns off, and I can control DVDs & BDs via the remote.

Interestingly it used to only support DVDs via the remote, not BDs, so I bought a PS3 remote for that purpose, but now it seems to work. Must've been a firmware update at some point.

Comment

It didn't work with Panasonic TVs for ages, Sony finally implemented it a couple of years ago. Didn't work that well though even then, as in my post above. Panasonic call it 'Viera Link'.

Xbox has a limited HDMI-CEC implementation where turning off your Xbox will automatically turn off your TV if you set it up, but the TV remote doesn't seem to do anything on the Xbox. At least on my Panasonic.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                    Xbox has a limited HDMI-CEC implementation
                    Unfortunately not from what I understand. The Xbox One doesn't support HDMI CEC. All control of other devices by the Xbox One is done via the IR blaster.

Comment

That...is weird. So when it automatically turns off my TV it’s blasting an IR signal? I did not know that.

Comment

In theory yes. I know when I set it up with my TV, it did do weird things and wasn't robust at all (essentially just being able to switch on or off the TV). But that's one of the Xbox team quoted above.

Comment

I had all sorts of issues with the hdmi control on my PS4 and bravia tv (1080p 40 inch set we inherited from relatives)

Set it all up, enabled in PS4 & tv, worked fine at first, everything turned on and off with just controlling the PS4, awesome.

After a about 4 days the sound went out of sync with the picture, could not figure it out at all, tried everything, didn’t solve it.

After much googling turns out the hdmi sync was the issue, turned it all off and sound issues went away.

THEN the tv started turning on and off with the PS4 even with the link disabled.

Ive since decided to not question whats going on and just put it down to witchcraft, its working and thats the end of it 🤷

Comment

According to a reliable source, the PlayStation 5 reveal event is currently planned for early June. Games, however, may be shown ahead of the event

Rumour is that Sony plans to unveil PS5 on 04 June 2020 though first party games may get an airing sometime in May.

Comment

But the Xbox has 12 thingys and the PS5 only has 10 so Sony should just give up.
                              Just like the bugatti has 1000bhp but an F1 car only has 800bhp so the bugatti is better.

Comment

Sony can show all the games they want right now, that thing needs to run glacier cool & silent before ill put down a bean.

Comment

Working...
                                X