No announcement yet.

Playstation 5: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why did Epic show their new engine on PS5 first? Why not PC? Did Sony throw dosh at them?

Just being sceptical. Looks amazing.

However, show me that tall grass.

Comment

Why didn't Xbox show something like this?

Comment

Might be because the SSD tech in the PS5 exceeds that found in any PC setup at the moment. Geoff Keliegh asked the Epic folks if you can expect to see this running on other systems such as PC and Xbox Series X and they dodged the question, just mentioning that it will be scalable.

Comment

They just dont got the gabbaflops.

Comment

Seems to be a bit of poo-pooing here. It's actually surprising its not using Ray Tracing because the lighting was fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
              Seems to be a bit of poo-pooing here. It's actually surprising its not using Ray Tracing because the lighting was fantastic.

https://www.windowscentral.com/unrea...no-ray-tracing
              Still, it looked like the next gen proof I needed.

Comment

That looked absolutely stunning.

Comment

Remember, if this was then optimised for the PS5, with the 5.5gbps SSD, it wouldn't even need to load in elements where the camera isn't pointing. It could throw the whole graphics processing directly at you and load them in as you turn.

Comment

Interesting that this was shown on PS5 rather than PC

Comment

nice breakdown of the new tech coming for next gen.

Comment

Next gen will be a massive jump .Can't wait

Comment

For the first time I'm seeing something truly next gen. Very lush Indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobal View Post
                            nice breakdown of the new tech coming for next gen.

Wow, look at DF being typical Sony shills!!

Comment

Nice tech demo.

Felt very much like Tomb Raider dialled up to 11 in the lighting and texturing departments. I understand it was running at 1440p with no ray tracing... Still trying to check if that was correct.

I thought it was good but weirdly I thought the water puddle effects looked janky but probably because next to everything else being so crisp it stood our as looking off.

Comment

The demo is a t 1440p30 and no hardware raytracing, correct. The Lumens engine is an impressive piece of real-time light sourcing but won't be as accurate as real raytracing; perfectly fine with that, right now RT is incredibly expensive in terms of computing power. I wonder how much processing-intensive the Nanite micropolygon technology is. Not all developers have the budget to develop normal maps from Megascans, hopefully resorting to "standard" assets will allow the engine to ramp up to 4K and/or 60fps.

Comment

Working...
                                X