Playstation 5: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
    I’ve tried to understand this thread. I’ve really tried. It’s just nerdvox overdrive. I don’t understand a word.

The video looks great, though.
    It's very simple...
    The Xbox is likely to uses 2 of its 12 dooblewats to jig the data from the zenozap to the ubershniz but the PS5 is going to instead have a more streamlined gumleflung to doodle the wats instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
      It's very simple...
      The Xbox is likely to uses 2 of its 12 dooblewats to jig the data from the zenozap to the ubershniz but the PS5 is going to instead have a more streamlined gumleflung to doodle the wats instead.
      Thank you for the clarity! As long as the noodleram can handle the gurbleflops, I’ll be happy. And THAT’S NUMBERWANG.

Comment

If it came out now, Computer Exchange would accept 100 litres of Alcohol Hand Rub, 50 surgical masks, a hazmat suit and £189 in exchange for a PS5.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
          I’ve tried to understand this thread. I’ve really tried. It’s just nerdvox overdrive. I don’t understand a word.

The video looks great, though.
          This is what happens when there are almost a thousand posts about a new console where the only information is how much pentiums it is.

To aid in your understanding, we will refer to the PS5 as ‘flying type’ from now on.

Comment

Say the game file sizes were massive due to size of the assets, wouldn't that be the reason for Sony's pursuit of the SSDs it has which would mean that the flops were worse pursuit rather than the ability to crunch the memory?

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
              Say the game file sizes were massive due to size of the assets, wouldn't that be the reason for Sony's pursuit of the SSDs it has which would mean that the flops were worse pursuit rather than the ability to crunch the memory?
              Yeah absolutely. At the moment it falls on the CPU to unpack all the data and pass it across to the GPU to then turn it in to graphics. This puts a large load on the CPU which is the biggest cause of the bottlenecks. The custom I/O will instead pass each part of the data, once processed, to the GPU and ram while the CPU works on the next chunk at an accelerated rate (5.5gb/s). The Xbox will hope to do this with brute force.

Comment

The Xbox series X also has dedicated decompression hardware to alleviate the CPU too. Both consoles are using Zlib for general purpose data with Kraken (PS5) and BCPack (Xbox) for textures. BCPack is condsidered superior out of those two. The sampler feedback streaming tech in the XsX is pretty smart meaning only the required portion of a texture is loaded rather than the full thing saving bandwidth.
                Although if Unreal Engine 5 is anything to go by future rendering models are going to be compute heavy. Nanite looks like it is bypassing vertex shaders and a lot of the time mesh shaders too placing the burden on the compute units. And the new lighting system in UE5 is probably sucking up way more compute than the geometry side.
                Last edited by CMcK; 18-05-2020, 07:44.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                  Microsoft have partnered with Seagate to make the memory card things for the Series X.

Sony have said any SSD will work in PS5 as long as it is certified as fast enough - PCIe 4.0 NVMe is what they're saying.
                  There will be a slot for one to expand memory? That's about £200 for a TB, though hopefully demand halves that price.

Comment

[MENTION=2492]cutmymilk[/MENTION]

Xbox Series X Expandable Storage

The 1TB card is at the same speed as the internal SSD but it appears you can use a USB drive but it will be slower.

Comment

I love the technical talk. In layman terms storage for game consoles is about to get expensive. Very expensive. Even if it is the future.

^ I'm sure people are aware but USB 3.x drives are just going to be for storing games or playing backward compatibility stuff only; so XBO, 360 and Xbox games. XSX games will need to be on the internal drive or the expandable Seagate Storage drive as mentioned.

Comment

Haven’t Sony also patented expandable storage carts for PS5 too or did I imagine that

Comment

No, Sony are saying you can use 'certain' PCI-E 4.0 NVMe drives which meet their certification. Although they aren't there aren't that many that meet that spec at the moment (from the little we know). Therefore given it's not proprietary it might be cheaper in the long-run, but probably still expensive to begin with.

Comment

They will prob sell a PlayStation branded one at a premium would be my guess.

Comment

I imagine so. But essentially will be the same thing you're plugging into your PC/Laptop which is going to help with prices (eventually).

EDIT - although looking back on the DF analysis it's not just the drives meeting certain PCIe 4.0 NVME M2 standards, but also being physically compatible with the PS5 slot. So this will knock out drives with heatsinks or that are too big. But again that might not be an issue given how little we know.
                              Last edited by Digfox; 18-05-2020, 12:05.

Comment

It's okay, Sony prepared us with the cost of Vita memory cards. For me that was the main, completely avoidable, issue and reason for it's downfall. So day 1 a lot of folk will be spending an extra 200 quid for a TB of storage. I have 1.5TB full on PS4. I could delete games and play one at a time. That's true.

Comment

Working...
                                X