No announcement yet.

Playstation 5: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't personally keep a lot of games on my PC or consoles either. But some people like to have loads of games downloaded and they may have to adjust their behaviour with XSX/PS5 games. Either way the cost of storage on consoles is about to go up.

Comment

For the most part I just have a handful installed, if it isn't getting played there's no point it being installed.

Comment

I like to have everything installed and ready to go so I can jump in as and when I want, without the hassle of having to download a huge game first.

Game sizes aren't going down though so...

Comment

I use a desktop 8TB drive on the Xbox One X as well as a 500gb SSD I got given from work.

I tend to keep most of the games I will hopefully get to play loaded up on the big drive so they get patched from time to time... But the games I'm playing now, like top 2-3 are on the SSD.

To be honest I think I'm already used to how it will need to work in the new world given that setup but I do think I'll be investing in more storage in a year or so after launch when hopefully prices start to move lower.

Comment

I'll just stick with the default storage. I don't really need more than a few games installed at a time, I'm happy to delete and reinstall stuff as needed rather than starting shelling out hundreds more. I rarely reinstall stuff once it's done anyway to be honest.

Comment

Unless you can back-up to a normal SSD and then transfer it across to the
              SSD when you want to play something.

Not everybody has suoerfast broadband to DL 100GB games when they fancy a quick go.

Comment

To be fair, I have decent broadband (150mb FTTH), but the Xbox and PS servers are way too slow to actually ever make full use of it in my experience. I never get near my top speed downloading stuff from the Xbox store.

Definitely a chore - maybe Stadia is the way forward?

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post

Definitely a chore - maybe Stadia is the way forward?
                  I think you've been in lockdown too long.

Comment

One thing I may have missed (and this is the same for XSX or PS5) is whether developers are mandated to use the internal SSDs for XSX or PS5 games?

For example if a small team put together a 200MB rogue-lite or something and it can be played from any storage (USB 3.0/3.1/3.2 or internal) - whether they can do this. That would be quite cool and mirror PC, mitigate some storage issues although potentially not enforce all improvements from the new SSDs.

Comment

I’m guessing Sony will have made some allowances for cooling off the shelf SSDs once installed in the PS5 other wise there could be throttling issues as the drives warm up. It does make the solution MS chose seem sensible, it’s small and guaranteed to work.

Comment

Personally I will always prefer the use of an open standard. Locked proprietary memory formats usually end up being more expensive as well as the other obvious downsides.

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post
                          One thing I may have missed (and this is the same for XSX or PS5) is whether developers are mandated to use the internal SSDs for XSX or PS5 games?

For example if a small team put together a 200MB rogue-lite or something and it can be played from any storage (USB 3.0/3.1/3.2 or internal) - whether they can do this. That would be quite cool and mirror PC, mitigate some storage issues although potentially not enforce all improvements from the new SSDs.
                          I don't think this would make all that much difference really. It's your 250GB CODs that are gonna be taking up the storage.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                            I don't think this would make all that much difference really. It's your 250GB CODs that are gonna be taking up the storage.
                            Indeed, from a space pov it ain't going to make much difference unless you do play a lot of indie games off Live/GP. I just haven't seen that level of detail yet.

Comment

Both new consoles are using dedicated hardware for general data compression, as does PS4 and X1, and now there is dedicated hardware for texture decompression too. Seeing as the bulk of data in most games is the textures this will help get the total game size down somewhat. Plus games at the moment have loads of duplicate files to help make up for the poor seek times and speed of the HDD so that shouldn’t need to happen with SSDs.
                              Storing unused games on an external SSD and copying them over when you want to play shouldnt take too long.
                              Last edited by CMcK; 18-05-2020, 17:13.

Comment

Originally posted by Digfox View Post

Cerny said PS5 games will be mandated to the internal ssd, or the compatible expansion ssd when they are available.

Presumably ps4 games and backwards can be installed to anything like now.

Comment

Working...
                                X