Playstation 5: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
    Cerny said PS5 games will be mandated to the internal ssd, or the compatible expansion ssd when they are available.
    Ah OK, missed that bit. It makes sense from a consumer view otherwise you'll have to have a scheme for denoting games that could be run from any HDD or internal etc.

Comment

A lot of space could be saved if they just split the games up into parts that you can download/install when you want them.

FastStart on Xbox sounds great but it's still downloading the entire game.

With games like Fifa, they could separate the story mode. If you're not going to play CoD online, there's no need for the online mode(maps, etc). Finished the campaign? Remove it and install the multiplayer.

Halo MCC on PC lets me install/uninstall the single player and multiplayer parts of each game separately.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was some weird psychology at play, like multiplayer being readily available leading to a higher chance of spending on trinkets.

Comment

I’m sure they will expand on customisable installs for games. They have already done it with Modern Warfare, at least on the console versions.
        You can remove single player pack 1&2 (26.7gb) and special ops 1&2 (19gb) save yourself 45.7gb by removing them.

Comment

That's great.

Comment

Which Cerny also stated will be a thing for PS5 games.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
              Cerny said PS5 games will be mandated to the internal ssd, or the compatible expansion ssd when they are available.

Presumably ps4 games and backwards can be installed to anything like now.
              This is the same on both consoles. MS already stated any current titles will run fine on external drives but Series X titles will only run off the fast storage. You can move them to other drives but as I understand it in some cases that will revert it to run the last gen version.

I'd imagine it's like it is now with Gears 5, Forza etc... Where if you have an XBX they download extra texture packs for 4K and have a larger install size.

Comment

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post
                I’m sure they will expand on customisable installs for games. They have already done it with Modern Warfare, at least on the console versions.
                You can remove single player pack 1&2 (26.7gb) and special ops 1&2 (19gb) save yourself 45.7gb by removing them.
                Yeah this is already a thing, I think the main takeaway from all of this is storage and download management needs a lot more flexibility and control moving forwards to help every consumers situation. We don't all have super fast fibre or terabytes to burn.

If there ever was options for smaller games that don't need the SSD speed to be installed elsewhere I'd love to be notified of that and smartly install it on the most logical drive. At the moment on Xbox there's options for default location and that's it.

Comment

You shoudl be able to install some games but cut some of the content. Like Final Fantasy XVI without the cutscenes, it'd be strip it down to being a 12 hour experience and save about 150GB!

Comment

Originally posted by nonny View Post
                    If there ever was options for smaller games that don't need the SSD speed to be installed elsewhere I'd love to be notified of that and smartly install it on the most logical drive. At the moment on Xbox there's options for default location and that's it.
                    Great minds and all that...

Of course I'm sure there's technical, commercial and marketing reasons to mandate the new SSDs but there will be a lot of indie or non-GaaS/AAA games that just won't need to use it.

Comment

The missus got a PS4 (after an absence from gaming since the PS2) and being that she skipped the introduction of the "connected to the internet" generation has suddenly been thrust into a terrifying world of day one patches, games having to install off disc, random console updates, enormous lengthy downloads. Quite rightly, she keeps asking "why is this better?" and I really can't answer that. There's definitely some advantages to all of this, but it does really seem a lot more irritating if you're a more casual player.

If the next generation of machines stand to be even worse for all the above, I can see it pushing a lot the less hardcore folks away from console gaming. All this talk of SSDs and 150GB downloads does seem like an enormous faff if the primary reason for your console is to spend the odd half an hour on Puyo Puyo or Hatsune Miku. It's getting to the stage where consoles are starting to blur into the world of PCs.

Maybe we're just a pair of miserable sods, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                        The missus got a PS4 (after an absence from gaming since the PS2) and being that she skipped the introduction of the "connected to the internet" generation has suddenly been thrust into a terrifying world of day one patches, games having to install off disc, random console updates, enormous lengthy downloads. Quite rightly, she keeps asking "why is this better?" and I really can't answer that. There's definitely some advantages to all of this, but it does really seem a lot more irritating if you're a more casual player.

If the next generation of machines stand to be even worse for all the above, I can see it pushing a lot the less hardcore folks away from console gaming. All this talk of SSDs and 150GB downloads does seem like an enormous faff if the primary reason for your console is to spend the odd half an hour on Puyo Puyo or Hatsune Miku. It's getting to the stage where consoles are starting to blur into the world of PCs.

Maybe we're just a pair of miserable sods, though.
                        I totally get where you're coming from in terms of day one patches, console updates and major updates being a hassle, but there are loads of ways that we have now is better than the PS2.

You can now buy and download any game, on demand, in your house. You can download demos of games. You can also get a great value library of cheap/free games via PS+ and Game Pass. Updates can be annoying, but many games also receive free extra content (or are significantly improved, like the recent Panzer Dragoon remake on Switch).

Not to mention we now have access to massive libraries of smaller indie games which probably wouldn't have seen a release on the PS2 - I remember at the time it being massively bemoaned that the 'bedroom coder' was dead due to the ballooning budgets of games. Well, they're back, and in a very big way (just look at Stardew Valley!).

Consoles are becoming more PC-like though, for sure. I would say that the Switch is closer to the earlier, simpler times of console gaming.

Comment

I think the one big pain in the arse is when I simply want to check the sale on PS store and I'm forced to download a system update before it let's me in. That **** better not exist next gen.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                            I think the one big pain in the arse is when I simply want to check the sale on PS store and I'm forced to download a system update before it let's me in. That **** better not exist next gen.
                            The biggest annoyance is that the machine will DL the update when in low power mode. Surely they can also get it to install before going into standby again?

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                              I totally get where you're coming from in terms of day one patches, console updates and major updates being a hassle, but there are loads of ways that we have now is better than the PS2.

You can now buy and download any game, on demand, in your house. You can download demos of games. You can also get a great value library of cheap/free games via PS+ and Game Pass. Updates can be annoying, but many games also receive free extra content (or are significantly improved, like the recent Panzer Dragoon remake on Switch).

Not to mention we now have access to massive libraries of smaller indie games which probably wouldn't have seen a release on the PS2 - I remember at the time it being massively bemoaned that the 'bedroom coder' was dead due to the ballooning budgets of games. Well, they're back, and in a very big way (just look at Stardew Valley!).

Consoles are becoming more PC-like though, for sure. I would say that the Switch is closer to the earlier, simpler times of console gaming.
                              I definitely like some of the Internet stuff and it's certainly done wonders for indie gaming - it has arguably given us a Renaissance of sorts there. It's also great for online play and extra add-ons (though I'd argue in some cases they're clearly holding back content that would have been in the game otherwise).

But I think they need to be careful in terms of things like large mandatory updates, which got to the point with the PS3/360 that I dreaded turning them on if I'd left them a few months as I knew there'd be a load of hoops to jump through - should certainly be easier to put them off unless there's some really crucial need or at the very least sort it all out when you're powering down the system. Frustrates me so much when I've just got a few minutes spare for a quick go on something and I'm going to play "patch the system" instead.

They also really need to police publishers rushing out unfinished games requiring a day one patch to even function properly. Remember how the disc release of Tony Hawk 5 was basically just the tutorial and it had to actually download the game? People were surprised that the publishers did it, but I'm more surprised that the console makers allowed them to release it - they need to cut things like that out.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                                They also really need to police publishers rushing out unfinished games requiring a day one patch to even function properly. Remember how the disc release of Tony Hawk 5 was basically just the tutorial and it had to actually download the game? People were surprised that the publishers did it, but I'm more surprised that the console makers allowed them to release it - they need to cut things like that out.

1x5 gig patch max in the first month should be mandatory for all 3rd parties next gen. If it isn’t finished, then it shouldn’t be released.

Edited.
                                Last edited by fishbowlhead; 19-05-2020, 15:01.

Comment

Working...
                                X