X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did think of Jack the Nipper actually, when you toot the horn at the cat

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
      It is good gam, although I was fighting the drifting sticks for a lot of the time, grrrr.

It's a pretty basic puzzler, but it's lots of fun and has a unique charm.
      In fact, I think you'd like it because I saw Charlie Brooker likening it to those 80s games of kids being up to japes, rather than space marines shooting faces off.

The spank-o-meter probably means Jack the Nipper is probably banned in Scotland now.

Great game that was, and Skool Daze. And Charlie Brooker is as boring as he says he is.

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
        The spank-o-meter probably means Jack the Nipper is probably banned in Scotland now.

Great game that was, and Skool Daze. And Charlie Brooker is as boring as he says he is.
        Lol, great post

Comment

I totally get what he's saying there, and it's a shame that kind of spirit went out of games. I was reading a thing about Matthew Smith recently and it mentioned how he took inspiration for some of the sprites in Jet Set Willy (barrels) from a pub on the road he lived on in Birkenhead at the time. He lived in a house with various other 80s programmer types and they used to go to a night club called Stairways all the time (a pretty notorious night club back then- no longer there). Anyway, they all used to go there so much, with Matthew Smith getting out of his box on various substances, a couple of them ended up making a game called Stairways, where the main character is all pissed up/high as a kite in the club. Think it was C64 only. I'd never heard of it until recently and I was quite surprised to read about it all, as this is just down the road from where I grew up, Liverpool also being a bit of a game coding hub in the 80s.

Comment

I also thought of Jack the Nipper when I saw this game. I think I tried playing it again about a decade ago and found it to be barely playable. But I had a lot of fun with it back in the day. There was a sequel too.

Comment

Coconut Capers! Used to love both of these way back when.

Comment

Originally posted by endo View Post
                Coconut Capers! Used to love both of these way back when.
                And slightly unpc now too

Comment

Yeah, just a bit! I remember getting it for Christmas one year, but getting it beforehand and being allowed to load it and have a play before giving it back to be put away until Christmas day. Think I didn't turn my Speccy off for a few days!

Comment

Do any of you guys remember Bozo's Night Out? By 'Taskset (The Bug Stops Here) '. Quality C64 devs, also did Super Pipeline. Bozo's Night Out involved getting a pissed bloke home from the pub, avoiding police, prostitutes with big wobbly tits, street hoodlams and ghosts and the undead (if you took shortcut through the cemetery) . It also played with the idea that the enemies were projections of Bozo's drunkeness, like pink elephants, and the drunker you were the harder it was to control him. I went to Swansea John Menzies to buy this with my Mum with my pocket money.
                    Last edited by Golgo; 04-10-2019, 17:30.

Comment

I love old Gams

Comment

Mad Doctor on C64 was a mischief type of game. My 2nd fave C64 game after Impossible Mission. Check it out, it's a bit GTA.

Just finished DEAR ESTHER on XB1. Damn, what a pretentious, inconsequential, wasteful game. I don't think I could bear hearing that guy's voice again, and the 'A' Level English dreck he constantly spouts churned my guts.

NOTHING happens. There is no action, no NPCs. Just a brilliantly-realised British coastal area that looks and feels exquisitely beautiful and absolutely socks you in the jaw with one awesome punch when it reveals the gorgeousness of those shiny caves inside the island.

Drop. Dead. Gorrrrrrgeous.

BUT NOTHING HAPPENS!!!!!

All you do is walk slowly hearing this guy spout crap. Eventually, you'll find a hole to drop into and next section begins. And it's EXACTLY THE SAME.

The island would be ace for a British-set Fallout game or some kind of cool survival horror type of thing, it's lushly moody and evocative but it's WASTED. Even turn it into a herb-collecting or birdwatching game, a Pilotwings ripoff would even work! Put it in another game where there's some gameplay, some ACTION ffs!

Even a faaaaarkin sheep-shearing or -shagging thing.

Best thing is, only took about an hour and a bit. Easy cheevoes as well. Frustratingly got two to unlock, totalling 200g. Trigger all the director's commentary points and find four urns.

Hmmmmmmm. I might. Mainly to see that cave again. It's mint. Can't believe this is the same engine that runs Half Life 2!!!!!

Comment

Forgot to say. To create a bit of in-game fun, decided to lob myself off a cliff to see what happened. Ended up with a 50g Achievement.

Now on Gears Judgment. Please never underestimate the power of the 360, it's dazzling me already.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                            Please never underestimate the power of the 360, it's dazzling me already.
                            Such great tech. The only thing that held it back a bit was the paltry 512mb of RAM. 1GB would have made it a total monster.

Comment

The orig GoW demo at 256 convinced em to up it to 512, iirc. The 512 made it the beast it STILL is. It's the Charles Bronson of consoles, in both ways. Can't believe this thing will be 15 very soon. STUNNING, it just throws lighting and shadow and characters and particles about in such an easy, "I don't care"-type of way.

But I digress. I've been charging through GEARS OF WAR: JUDGMENT on 360, via the original disc (despite owning the digital copy*).

Has been SUCH a hassle getting this game to run. Protip is to have your 360 disconnected from the net but log in so you can access cheevz.

It's been... *groan*...an ordeal.

This is one of those BC 360 games that doesn't run good on an XB1 and the pure way to play it is on 360.

But it is such a pain to get it running. Basically log in your profile but turn online off.

Writing all these words....is the game worth all the text and this post? Hmmm. It's like very easy on Normal but I'm glad it is, I've played it three times before.

Is it good????...

...Yes, it is.

But it's like a restaurant that only serves spagbol. But goooood spagbol.

It's easy to eat and it's nice.

(I'm about 65% complete, btw. PGRIV is next. Curveball).

Comment

*the digital copy lets me get to a bit very early in the first level where you have to lift a piece of wood to open a door then tells me my disc is dirty or damaged, despite it being a digital copy with no discs being in the drive.

My Kingdoms of Amalur was the same. Digital copy. Same for Resi 6. Only the digital copies.

It took a total digital uninstall of the digital copy then I just unsealed that £1 brand new Grainger Games bargain copy I got like three years back, installed it with the disc in and had no probs.

It absolutely worked.

Comment

Working...
                                X