This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post
    I’m still chipping away at Hollow Knight, I have to be well into 50+ hours now, I’ve unlocked the final boss but I’m still exploring trying to mop up everything for 112% completion, I’m up to 105 now. Again I will say this has probably got to be one of the best games I’ve ever played.

I’m 100% fully upgraded, I have every charm in the game and every move yet this one boss (not final boss) is absolutely destroying me everytime, spent 2 hours on him today and I’m convinced I have every attack pattern down, yet I still keep making mistakes and dying. Getting too twitchy.
    Sounds like you've found your ideal game. Titles that compel you to continue playing after completing the game aren't that common but are great when you find one (I think that's the case for me with the recent Spider-man). Its a sign the developers knew how to make really compelling gameplay.

Once I've finished Valkyria Chronicles 4 I think I'll give Titanfall 2 a go (I've only heard good things about the campaign). Then I'll actually play God of War and see what all the fuss is about.

Comment

Originally posted by hudson View Post
      Have you joined the sleepy gamer club?
      I really can't afford to be sleepy at all during the day. I usually have 12 hours work to do 7x a week and that's proper no ****ing about no browsing/forums/facebook graft. I need to be switched on, or I run the risk of losing income.

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
      Sounds like you've found your ideal game. Titles that compel you to continue playing after completing the game aren't that common but are great when you find one
      These are the only games I play. They're another reason why I play so little of anything.

Comment

Oh no, I understand. Being a parent too, it's difficult to make time for video games when we "grow up". Hopefully, a fine will soon come when you can indulge. Maybe get your little one involved in some Bayonetta playthroughs.

Comment

Oh no, I understand. Being a parent too, it's difficult to make time for video games when we "grow up". Hopefully, a fine will soon come when you can indulge. Maybe get your little one involved in some Bayonetta playthroughs.
          That's the plan eventually. Although I won't be pushing him into anything as that'll likely sway him into thinking that the games dad plays are all nerdy and uncool, much like how I thought about football as a kid thanks to my uncle.

Comment

Yeah the Bayonetta mention was a joke My youngest lad loves Minecraft, something I never play, but he has really taken to the building and some of the stuff he build blows my mind (for his age). My eldest (just 8) loves Pokémon, Smash Bros and Mario Odyssey. He finished Odyssey on guide mode and I kicked him a little about it which made him only go and finish the proper game. It's so lovely to see him develop these gaming skills. It's truly amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              Sounds like you've found your ideal game. Titles that compel you to continue playing after completing the game aren't that common but are great when you find one (I think that's the case for me with the recent Spider-man). Its a sign the developers knew how to make really compelling gameplay.

Once I've finished Valkyria Chronicles 4 I think I'll give Titanfall 2 a go (I've only heard good things about the campaign). Then I'll actually play God of War and see what all the fuss is about.
              Yeah it’s a master class in game design. A soultroidvania mix with quite a lot to discover, pretty to look at, challenging, has a great atmosphere and music. I believe the console versions include all the add on content they made/added to the game post launch from PC.

Looks like you are in for treat after VC4, Titanfall 2’s campaign is amazing and you’re following that up with GoW.

Comment

Yeah the Bayonetta mention was a joke My youngest lad loves Minecraft, something I never play, but he has really taken to the building and some of the stuff he build blows my mind (for his age). My eldest (just 8) loves Pokémon, Smash Bros and Mario Odyssey. He finished Odyssey on guide mode and I kicked him a little about it which made him only go and finish the proper game. It's so lovely to see him develop these gaming skills. It's truly amazing.
                My nieces got me into Minecraft for a bit. I got into modding it and making it look amazing. We spent a few days where we just continually ventured North in Survival mode. Setting up camp for the evenings and occasionally staying in nice places for a bit of extended mining. All while leaving way-points behind us. It was all kinds of fun.

Comment

My son watched me playing Minecraft on the Vita over Christmas and he kept telling me to build a treehouse and stuff, but when you've only got two woodblocks and a ball of wool, that's kinda hard.

So I set him up with his own save in creative mode and showed him the ropes.
                  We built his treehouse and after he'd gone to bed, I built a massive roller coaster for him.
                  Next day, he carried on and was gone for hours, building and creating.

I love Minecraft and I'd rather he be playing that than those awful iPad games like the endless runner ones.

Comment

Minecraft is an incredible game in its versatility. It has been really interesting watching my kids change what they do with it as they grow older.

I played through Katamari Damacy on the Switch and loved it. Now playing Octopath Traveler. I can’t remember the last time I played an old school RPG and I think I was both eager to jump into another and doubtful whether I would have the patience for it now. But I’m about 8 hours in now and really enjoying it. It looks absolutely beautiful. The soundtrack is pretty traditional but chilled and it works. And I really like how the story plays out so far as it introduces each character and sets up their goals. Curious as to how separate each story will feel as it develops. The play systems are just classic RPG and, somehow, I have even found renewed patience for random battles.

My only criticism is that they haven’t modelled the inside of shops. Might sound weird but I like shops in RPGs.

Comment

I started Octopath Traveller last night (was planning on playing Splatoon but there was some special event going on). Loving what I've played so far. Did about 2-3 hours last night with H'aanit, enough to have some nice kit equipped, beat first boss, capture plenty of creatures for summoning, and feel ready to venture further afield. Not sure how soon to begin on another character. Maybe I'll pick someone new when playing tonight so they can maybe level at a similar pace.

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                      My only criticism is that they haven’t modelled the inside of shops. Might sound weird but I like shops in RPGs.
                      Yeah, I did a double take when I first went to a store. Same with the Inns which is a shame because I like the cosy atoms of a night's rest in RPGs.

Comment

Been playing Never Alone off Xbox GWG. So far it's pleasantly enjoyable, it's basically a snowy Limbo with co-op puzzle elements wrapped up in a snowy ball of extreme pretentiousness.

But it seems like an OK Limbo clone, plus I've amassed like 200g in less than an hour.

Comment

Got to the end of Astro Bot (still got the challenges to do). Not only is it my game of the year, it's one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had full stop. Bold words, but it's better than Mario Odyssey in my book.

Also playing Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. It's quite good and I'm not as frustrated as with past Mario Karts somehow, but it is still baffling how they haven't improved the design to differ between single and multiplayer. If you're playing couch multiplayer with friends and family, it's hysterical when some bighead gets hit by a blue or red shell and goes from first to last in an instant. When you're playing single player and you're literally getting hit by stuff every few seconds, it's absolutely miserable. If the items are based on your position in a race, why can't they also be based on single vs multiplayer? Imagine if even in single player NSMB you still had to put up with three AI supports getting in the way and bouncing you all over the place.

Comment

Rocket League on the Switch. I can't get enough of it apparently, and even made my own club. And am the sole member so far.

...Any takers?

Comment

Monster Boy on the Xbone. Really nice Wonder Boy successor with a massive nod to the old games.

Comment

I took a break from Octopath Traveler to play through Gris, which I had heard was short. I do not care for it. It looks and sounds lovely but I’m finding it totally boring and without purpose. No story, no sense of a goal or something to find. Boring. I thought it would be something I’d like from what I had seen but that’s not the case.

Comment

Working...
                                X