Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rabasaurus
    Originally posted by sam1981
    Maybe it was because I was playing it on a brand new machine, but Luigi is one of my fave games in the past few years.
    Couldnt agree more. I hear loads of people slate poor Luigi, but for me it was one of the most enjoyable games Ive played in a long time.

Thirded! It was what I feel constitutes a GAME, didn't take itself too seriously, was easy to pick up and play, not frustrating and had plenty of eye candy. I still think Nintendo's much maligned 'shorter games policy' was/is a good idea....

Comment

Originally posted by Rabasaurus
      Maybe it was because I was playing it on a brand new machine, but Luigi is one of my fave games in the past few years.
      Couldnt agree more. I hear loads of people slate poor Luigi, but for me it was one of the most enjoyable games Ive played in a long time.
      Ditto... I *heart*ed Luigi. Really was a great game and a great introduction to the cube and what it could do.

Didn't take itself seriously, but was fun to play and it didn't bother me that it wasn't particularly difficult. If a game get's too difficult to the point that it feels unfair... I'll pack it in.

Comment

Difficulty is something I don't have a problem with. I don't mind games being hard as long as they're fair (ie if you die, it really is your fault). I just don't like tedium

Luigi is a nice little game, too. My sister introduced me to it and -despite all the negative opinions I'd heard- I really really enjoyed it. Yes, it was easy and short but it was fun; and that's the main thing after all.

Comment

Golden Sun - Fairly generic RPG that I just couldn't be bothered playing anymore.

Mario Sunshine - I love the 2D games, and Mario 64 was good as well, but this one just didn't click for me.

Eternal Darkness - Pretty tedious, albeit with nice sound.

Time Splitters 2 - Very average FPS game.

Comment

The thing with "short" games being frouned upon by games journo's is that these guys play games 24/7.. it's their job... they are typically very good at games, and can dedicate days to polishing them off. As a result, a game that would take a regular person who enjoys games a few weeks to finish could be wrapped up in a couple of days.

To mark a game down as a result of this isn't fair.

I read some reviews of Metroid Fusion saying that it could be finished in the weekend that it was bought.. it took me two weeks, and in those two weeks were a couple of long haul flights from London to San Francisco...

Although, I did manage to finish Chamber of Secrets in one journey from Hong Kong to Amsterdam.. that's a bit too short for my liking. Did enjoy it though...

(yes.. I do get to do a bit of travelling!)

Comment

I agree about short games - for example it took me a week or so to finish off Ico, but I loved all of it to peices and will probably play through it again when I forget all the puzzles.

If a game takes too long, it becomes a slog and I usually end up not finishing it anyway. Several RPGs have gone that way. I did finish FF8 though. Dunno why.

But to the guy who gave up on Metroid Primes "mirror boss" - what a cop out! You've barely scratched the surface, man. Get back in there at once! Fairymuff if you'd given up on, say, a difficult boss, but I did that one *with my eyes closed and the joypad unplugged*

Comment

Aye! Shame on you...

That boss isn't hard... it's also pretty good fun. You've not seen the caverns, phendra, the research station, the mines... man... don't be a wimp!

Comment

Epics and faux cinema aspirations have spoiled the beauty of short games. Now everything has to be at least 6000 hours long with a 'deep' story or it's no good. Sadly.

Comment

Well, there have been a few recently:

FFX - lovely graphics, but hackned plot and soul-sapping linearity, I believe I gave up on it just past the big cutscene with Sin VS the Ion Cannon. The voice acting was irritating but nowhere near as bad as the aforementioned faults IMO.

Devil May Cry - I wanted to like it, really I did, but the whole thing just felt ropey to me. The infuriating camera which would switch without warning, the repetitive enemies ( puppet, puppet, puppet ), and lack of any intelligence in the plot whatsoever ( not, of course, what these kinds of games are about but to me it does aid in becoming more involved ).

Warcraft III - I had a lot of fun with it in the beginning, but as the game advanced it's similarities with Starcraft began to grate. I hated every single Zerg mission on SC, so the Undead missions on WC3 proved to be the end of me, although I will not deny it is a very accomplished game.

Ocarina of Time - Couldn't stand the blurrified graphics on the N64 version, but was pleased at the ( comparative ) sharpness of the Bonus disc GC version, so decided to give it another go. It just didn't hook me, I enjoyed parts of it, but compared to Wind Waker the landscape was practically bare and fatally uninteresting, I was impressed with the scope of it but didn't feel any desire to carry on.

The thing is, the way I am on games atm, the quality doesn't matter if I make the mistake of taking a three or four day break from them, after that time I find it almost impossible to get myself back into the atmosphere and flow of the title, and it inevitably ends up shelved. Metroid Prime, for example, was fantastic until I took the short break, now it remains in my collection, unplayed but still too treasured to go up for sale, I keep convincing myself I'll get back into it.

Comment

I gave up on Shenmue on my DC and when it was released on the XBox I got it again and swore to finnish it, after about 2 weeks I`ve got too the Kowloon areas and have that can`t be arsed feeling. It seems to have got dull (apart from the escape from the appartments bit). Someone tell me it`s worth going on.

Advance wars is on the back burner as I can`t get past Strom.

Resi 0 has gone to the back of the cupboard as it feels the same as the last cube release.

One I just went back too is Project Zero as I also got pissed off with running out of film, and I`m glad I did, Although I`ll never look at ropes in the same way again

Comment

All my GBA games get left on the shelf because of that ruddy screen. Can't be bothered to get an afterburner or an SP, but I suppose I should.

Would love to play Advance Wars properly.

Comment

All my GBA games get left on the shelf because of that ruddy screen. Can't be bothered to get an afterburner or an SP, but I suppose I should.

My SP purchase has completely revitalised my GBA playing... it's acceptable, can be taken into work without ridicule.. can be used anywhere.. has a fantastic screen (better than a GBA afterburned imho)...

I've really got back into a load of GBA stuff as a result... hopefully it'll kickstart the software sales and lead to more quality stuff coming out...

(incidently... Colin McRae 2, got it from play.com with 2 for 20 quid deal... it's great!)

Comment

Originally posted by scottcr

My SP purchase has completely revitalised my GBA playing... it's acceptable, can be taken into work without ridicule.. can be used anywhere.. has a fantastic screen (better than a GBA afterburned imho)...

I've really got back into a load of GBA stuff as a result... hopefully it'll kickstart the software sales and lead to more quality stuff coming out...

(incidently... Colin McRae 2, got it from play.com with 2 for 20 quid deal... it's great!)
                            Why must you tempt me so? I'm skint and all you can do is make me spend more!

Comment

Originally posted by Garibaldi Biscuit
                              The thing is, the way I am on games atm, the quality doesn't matter if I make the mistake of taking a three or four day break from them, after that time I find it almost impossible to get myself back into the atmosphere and flow of the title, and it inevitably ends up shelved.
                              That is *exactly* what I do. I can be playing a game, think "oh man, this is the BEST GAME EVER!" then for some reason I don't play it for a few days. Then I forget about it. Then I never return to it and it ends up unfinished and another victim for one of these threads.

But OOT was fantastic at the time on the N64, not sure if I'll feel the same when I get the bonus disk, as I just don't have the free time for epic games nowadays I tried going back to Majora's Mask recently (I still need to beat the final boss) but the compo****e output on my PAL N64 totally defeated me again. I couldn't stand the fuzzy graphics! Compared to PS1 games even they look diabolical, like the TV is not tuned properly or something. I might hook it up to a portable, so then at least the small screen might counteract the fuzzyness

Comment

I usually find that if I lose interest in a title ( either cos another one comes along or I get too damn stuck ) I usually find that I'll go back to it, but maybe two or three months later. I'd agree that the atmos has usually gone by that time though

The summer's always good for catching up on unfinished games cos there's always a decent release drought

Comment

Working...
                                X